In hindsight, are you embarrassed about being tricked into the Odd Future hype?

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I messed with the but all thy demonic stuff got old quick. Frankie is cool and hopefully Earl distances himself from them as he is the only one with any rap potential.

Sierra Mist

Banned
Daps
What's so righteous about music that promotes killing other black people, robbing people, not valuing education, degrading women and selling drugs? I never got their hype though. I don't even know the members' names.

36 Chambers

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

They were really blowing up after this and Yonkers. That weed plate Goblin pretty much killed their buzz especially with the fickle ass hipster demographic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta To New Orleans
What OF fans don't get is that no one over the age of 23 checks for OF outside of Frank Ocean (mainly due to the R&B vibe). That alone will get them shut out by a lot of people. And their whole schtick has been done before and done better. The music is flat out boring to anyone who sees through their style. They only got so much hype b/c this Youtube/Twitter generation overhypes anything with even just marginal talent.

Their time has come and passed. I know they're young, but nobody cares. They better save their tour money b/c it's back to regular life after 25 for all of them.

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
What OF fans don't get is that no one over the age of 23 checks for OF outside of Frank Ocean (mainly due to the R&B vibe). That alone will get them shut out by a lot of people. And their whole schtick has been before and done better. The music is flat out boring to anyone who sees through their style. They only got so much hype b/c this Youtube/Twitter generation overhypes anything with even just marginal talent.

Their time has come and passed. I know they're young, but nobody cares. They better save their tour money b/c it's back to regular life after 25 for all of them.

Truest words ever spoken.

Arrogance.

King Novak of Melbourne, the First of His Name
Daps
Reppin
TSC/LToMD
I still fukk with some of the music coming out of their camp but the 10000 word think pieces and hyperbolic nature of the things written about them got out of pocket way too fast. Blame Steve Rifkind for the "OF is the new Wu" comments, he wanted to sign them BAD when they were still free agents.

Movements come and go. The bottom kinda fell out for OF when Pitchfork shifted gears and people stopped writing about how revolutionary they were. But writing them off for good? Nah, I'm interested in the new direction Tyler's been screaming about going towards. Less of the rapping about success and the new trappings of fame and more of those blessed out jazz hip hop infused beats he, Syd, and Matt Martians produce. Domo is stepping his game up. Mellowhype works as a duo and will get better.

Oh, and their (early) live shows slaughter most rappers live shows.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
the real unwritten story here is the way these hipster blogs have changed the nature of rap talk, discovery etc

i keep wanting to write a big article about it

KTD2

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No. Because I didn't.

We'd done the whole "OMG HE SAID KILL PEOPLE AND fukk SCHOOL!!!!" before. Like 10 years ago with Eminem. Nothing new or revolutionary about it.

Juanito

Pro
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I mean i fukk with them. I can't play their shyt every day but for the most part they have some decent shyt. A common misconception is that theyre just all shock but that isnt really the case. Domo is probably my favorite member and he's more laid back on some Curren$y/Wiz stoner shyt. Earl is too dope to be denied on a lyrical tip and we all know of Frank Ocean's talent. I get why some people don't like them and while I'm not a hardcore OD OFWGKTA fan I enjoy alot of their shyt mostly older stuff tho.

Habit

Banned
Daps
Nah, I'm interested in the new direction Tyler's been screaming about going towards. Less of the rapping about success and the new trappings of fame and more of those blessed out jazz hip hop infused beats he, Syd, and Matt Martians produce. Domo is stepping his game up. Mellowhype works as a duo and will get better.

Oh, and their (early) live shows slaughter most rappers live shows.

Back lash is at an all time high these days. I think Tyler is not trying anymore, so his music is starting to suffer. But you can tell everyone else is improving, but I don't ever see them putting out a classic.

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
the real unwritten story here is the way these hipster blogs have changed the nature of rap talk, discovery etc

Go for it. That article needs to be written.

KTD2

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Do you mean the whole "fake like I'm indie but I'm not" thing?