In hindsight, are you embarrassed about being tricked into the Odd Future hype?

904Lurker

R.I.P Young Dolph
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville,Fl
I fukks with them, but never saw the "revoloution" they were supposed to bring with them. I like them because they have their own sound that's chill yet dark at the same time. If you ever seen a video of their live preformances, it's unlike any hip hop act out there. I fukks with Mike G and Frank mostly. Tyler is good I just haven't bothered with Goblin. Domo is pretty good and Hodgy is wack. But I'm a young nikka anyway.

Problem with the internet rap fanbase is nikkas are so pressed to be part of a new wave that they'll overrate the fukk out of any new act. Within a month of Finally Famous 3 dropping Big Sean was all of a sudden better than Drake:weirdo:, and that tape was average as fukk.

nikkas just need to keep their head on their shoulders. The same way yall were "tricked into the Odd Future hype" is the same way yall dikkrode Diggy into irrelevance, betrayed Wale, morphed Wiz, sent Charles Hamilton's career to hell.I'm already seeing the same manner of dikkriding going on with Kendrick and Joey Bada$$. Just enjoy the music.

PLease Elaborate

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:smh: @ Thinking Tyler represents the whole group that's like thinking the whole
Wu-Tang is represented by ODB and saying "Well I can't rock with them !".
Idiots.

TheGodGenesDecoded

Slew dem...More Fyah
Daps
To be honest only place I really heard about them was over at:hamster:.
I don't think I have heard 1 song.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What OF fans don't get is that no one over the age of 23 checks for OF outside of Frank Ocean (mainly due to the R&B vibe). That alone will get them shut out by a lot of people. And their whole schtick has been before and done better. The music is flat out boring to anyone who sees through their style. They only got so much hype b/c this Youtube/Twitter generation overhypes anything with even just marginal talent.

Their time has come and passed. I know they're young, but nobody cares. They better save their tour money b/c it's back to regular life after 25 for all of them.

The thing is you're wrong breh.
None of you mofuggas are gonna own up and say "Yo I only heard tyler and I was turned off to their movement.

As for the bolded yeah I'm sure the RZA a fvcking Hip Hop legend is trying to appeal to the Twitter generation when he bigs up Tylers skill on the boards.

Does this sh1t sound ANYTHING like Yonkers ?

- Jet Age Of Tomorrow

- The Internet

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tkuUlAQhbY]Frank Ocean - We All Try Official Video [Lyrics In Description] - YouTube[/ame] - Frank Ocean

Dudes play themselves coming in this thread and sh1tting on a whole group they don't know anything about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the real unwritten story here is the way these hipster blogs have changed the nature of rap talk, discovery etc

i keep wanting to write a big article about it
great point. i almost want to give these nikkaz a chance now that the hipster demo graphic have abandoned them. maybe they can develop a less "nihilistic for the sake of cheap attention" stance. but Pitchfork is the worst sh!t to happen to Hip Hop since probably the phasing out of female mc's.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:beli:

These are just from one thread on SOHH...thread titles from the great Odd Future Hype Orgy of '11 include:

Odd Future = NWA/Public Enemy/Cypress Hill/Wu Tang

This was an actual post

wonder how the media was hyping them up...how about some magazine named Rolling Stone...surely with their years in the music biz, they'd take a measured approach and not feed into the hype orgy

Can Tyler The Creator and Odd Future save music?
Can Tyler The Creator and Odd Future save music? > The Method > Bulletin | Purple Revolver

Fast forward one summer and we're supposed to pretend like the hype didn't reach absolutely laughably preposterous levels or that they lived up to it because they're doing shows like every other 2 bit mid level "underground" rap act on the planet

:stopitslime:

And that's not even accounting for how muh'fukkas was acting like Earl was the next incarnation of rap jesus or buddha or some shyt, an ascended master whose soul returned to earth in the form of a swagless 17 year old nerd to save the genre with his greatness

I see that Jonah Weiner is the writer of that RollingStone article. Dude is basically everything zerozero said about the pitchfork/complex/tumblr nexus.

Daps
Reppin
Atlanta To New Orleans

The thing is you're wrong breh.
None of you mofuggas are gonna own up and say "Yo I only heard tyler and I was turned off to their movement.

As for the bolded yeah I'm sure the RZA a fvcking Hip Hop legend is trying to appeal to the Twitter generation when he bigs up Tylers skill on the boards.

Does this sh1t sound ANYTHING like Yonkers ?

The Jet Age Of Tomorrow - Want You Still (ft. Kilo Kish) - YouTube - Jet Age Of Tomorrow

The Internet - She Dgaf - YouTube - The Internet

Frank Ocean - We All Try Official Video [Lyrics In Description] - YouTube - Frank Ocean

Dudes play themselves coming in this thread and sh1tting on a whole group they don't know anything about.

Next time, I want you to read my post again. I said "with even just marginal talent." I didn't say anything about OF not being very talented. I said even artists with just marginal talent get hyped.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
I'm not gonna lie and say I wasn't interested in hearing more from them after the Fallon debut. What Tyler was able to do at that young of an age is impressive without much of a platform to showcase his shyt on outside of a few blogs and word-of-mouth. They have a dedicated fanbase of kids that they make music for and it works for em.

I always acknowledged their hype and understood why they were being talked about, but the content is for the most part kind of senseless. I've listened to a few Earl songs and he's got some creative rhyme patterns and multis but 85% of them hes not really saying shyt. He idolizes the fact that Eminem used multi-syllable bars and tries to emulate that. The thing is Em was infinitely more clever instead of just spewing random bullshyt so his stans can call him "lyrical" Multis for the sake of multis:

Don't get me wrong, Earl and Tyler can flow....kinda enjoy this one:

OF can be funny. That Hyphy video had me :dead: They do have talent....Frank Ocean continues to put out music I can get with. Tyler and Left Brain can produce, Domo can spit when he's not being a complete clown.

Some of the shyt Tyler says publicly makes me glad they have no real say in what direction hip hop is going. For instance he ranted on Twitter about people buying Jordans...said something to the effect of "Oh, you have the same red, black and white shoes every ****** in America has!" He shyts on people for watching the NBA playoffs...."basketball tweet". Then he'll follow up everything he said with "I don't know why you guys care so much about what I like" when he gets backlash. Well dude obviously wanted to let everyone know what he thought or he wouldn't have said it. I don't like that attention whoring contrarian bullshyt because everyone enjoys something he doesn't. He selectively ignores that tons of people love the music he likes and don't give him the same shyt for liking something widely popular. If everybody liked his wack fashion sense he'd change his style instantly.

Tyler said he makes music for nikkas in the suburbs and white kids who say the n-word like that's cool. Nah, it's corny and shouldn't be encouraged. I wonder sometimes if he even respects black people or likes being black himself. I guess he is a walking paradox...seemed like he hates mainstream media and hypebeast type blogs but was front and center, happy as fukk to get that VMA. He's an inconsistent hypocrite who needs to shut up and improve his music after that trash bin debut.

I guess I had a lot to say on this...my only real problem with them is the way Tyler portrays himself publicly, it makes me not want them to succeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

concise

Veteran
Daps
:beli:

These are just from one thread on SOHH...thread titles from the great Odd Future Hype Orgy of '11 include:

Odd Future = NWA/Public Enemy/Cypress Hill/Wu Tang

This was an actual post

wonder how the media was hyping them up...how about some magazine named Rolling Stone...surely with their years in the music biz, they'd take a measured approach and not feed into the hype orgy

Can Tyler The Creator and Odd Future save music?
Can Tyler The Creator and Odd Future save music? > The Method > Bulletin | Purple Revolver

Fast forward one summer and we're supposed to pretend like the hype didn't reach absolutely laughably preposterous levels or that they lived up to it because they're doing shows like every other 2 bit mid level "underground" rap act on the planet

:stopitslime:

And that's not even accounting for how muh'fukkas was acting like Earl was the next incarnation of rap jesus or buddha or some shyt, an ascended master whose soul returned to earth in the form of a swagless 17 year old nerd to save the genre with his greatness

All between March and August of last year

THE FUKK IS UP WITH THESE OFWGKTA CLOWNS? - ProjectCOVO.com Global Forum
Remember when dudes on here were saying OFWGKTA was the next Wu-Tang.... - ProjectCOVO.com Global Forum
the OFWGKTA movement was one of the most embarassing things ever in hip hop history - ProjectCOVO.com Global Forum
If You're Older Than 18 And Like Odd Future...You Are A Fukking F@ggot - ProjectCOVO.com Global Forum
Odd Future and that BS are Industry Plants - ProjectCOVO.com Global Forum
I just heard Odd Future on HOT97 for the first time, very TRAUMATIC experience - ProjectCOVO.com Global Forum

:yeshrug:

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Oh yeah, there were plenty of objectors to the ridiculous hype job...those threads didn't pop outta nowhere or exist in a vacuum, they were direct responses to odd.future getting hyped as the messiahs of rap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
All those overeducated think pieces in high minded places about how edgy they are and how subversive tyler was. when in reality they was just a bunch corny nerds making white boy hip hop with all that nihilism and angst. smh at the people the industry try to sell you. black music is righteous at the end of the day, take the righteousness out, and it becomes white music as far as i am concerned. White music is like Punk, a buch of spoiled brat kids angry at mommy and daddy. same with grunge. as black people, we should always reject this posture, and Odd Future was the first black people i see try and be white.

I couldn't care less about Odd Future but Shook Ones, almost the entire NWA catalogue, etc, are much more nihilistic than any of their stuff. Those are random examples, but what I'm saying is that if you only associate nihilism with white people and reject it, and you associate righteousness with Black music, you must have a very small collection of post-80s hip-hop music.

Daps
I never fall for hip hop hype and judge artists on their music. Too old for that. With that said, I think they make good music at times and everyone says their shows have a lot of energy. I don't go out of my way to listen to them but I don't have a problem with them at all. I see it as kids trying to have fun but I dont always get the humor/schtick.

couldn't have said it better myself