I'm Thinking About Getting Dreads, Is it Worth it?

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
The one in the second picture wanted them first but she wanted faux locs. I told her no and showed her pictures of women and young girls with dreads and asked her if she wanted those instead. She liked them and about 2 months of "testing it" with her hair I finally did them.

Her sister saw them and wanted them too.

They are pretty confident girls who even big chopped their hair and wore afros to school.

I was tired of dealing with my hair and wearing a puffball because it was just too much to deal with on a daily.

If you want a medium, play around with some sizes in your hair. This gives you the chance to do them yourself too. Work around the front around the crown where its a little thicker. Do 2 strand twists to give you an idea of how thick they will be once they mature.

If you have a sister, cousin, friend that can help you get them started you shouldn't have to go to a shop unless you want a fancy style or something.
This guy here is really informative and how I got a good start with locs. Watch his vids and check out some of the products he mentions.

The one in the second picture wanted them first but she wanted faux locs. I told her no and showed her pictures of women and young girls with dreads and asked her if she wanted those instead. She liked them and about 2 months of "testing it" with her hair I finally did them.

Her sister saw them and wanted them too.

They are pretty confident girls who even big chopped their hair and wore afros to school.

I was tired of dealing with my hair and wearing a puffball because it was just too much to deal with on a daily.

If you want a medium, play around with some sizes in your hair. This gives you the chance to do them yourself too. Work around the front around the crown where its a little thicker. Do 2 strand twists to give you an idea of how thick they will be once they mature.

If you have a sister, cousin, friend that can help you get them started you shouldn't have to go to a shop unless you want a fancy style or something.
This guy here is really informative and how I got a good start with locs. Watch his vids and check out some of the products he mentions.

Thank you! I also love his videos. He is really an expert at locking hair and maintaining it.

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Grow em.... I did for 3 reasons. Felt it was a symbol of my beliefs. Felt something deep down, that I always wanted them from a child, and by not having was conforming to society. Lastly, it gave me that look I wanted.

I started off with free form when younger and cut them off. In my late twenties started again. Grew a fro, twisted it up. Then eventually got em done even spaced all over. My hair growth is fast, and I like them. They are neat, and when I want thickness I double them into two twists. Typically that's how I have them.
what are your beliefs?

Did it fulfill you? I got the feeling while I was in Europe after I came home that I wanted to grow my hair out, and I haven't cut it since October. I don't know why, but something inside of me was inspired and it wasn't fashion. Ironically when I got back dudes were growing out their hair but I didn't notice until someone pointed it out.

what was that something deep down that you felt?

Kalik

Rasta in Babylon
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Florida / Bahamas
what are your beliefs?

Did it fulfill you? I got the feeling while I was in Europe after I came home that I wanted to grow my hair out, and I haven't cut it since October. I don't know why, but something inside of me was inspired and it wasn't fashion. Ironically when I got back dudes were growing out their hair but I didn't notice until someone pointed it out.

what was that something deep down that you felt?
Rasta. Yes it did, it just made me.connect more to the person I see in my soul. The person you see when you are dreaming asleep.

Can't explain, but as a foreigner it automatically lends a flair to my roots also.Then people ask my belief, after awhile of knowing me, or what not.

Im very happy with them... can never see me without them. Unless something healthwise happens.

playplayaj

Drumming genius
Daps
Reppin
757 VA
I have a temp fade now ( haven't gotten it faded in 2 months tho) should I get my hair evened out? Can i make my hair grow faster?

Nah. You good. I started from a temp fade. You can keep getting the temp fade while you grow out your fro too. That's what I did

EpicStoryTeller

Blazé Blazé
Daps
Reppin
Morioh
Do whatever the FCK you wanna do, it's your hair. Just don't do it to fit in with the crowd.

I cut all my hair off back in the beginning of November and started regrowing it, I now have it twisted and it compliments my style along with age and mindset. I don't plan to wear dreads but I love rocking my twist/fro and and feel like it's one of the ways to express my roots. That feeling you get when you walking around and every other person of different ethnicity looking at your hair like:dwillhuh: and the women be like:takedat: be having me like:blessed:

Retired Account

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
Nah. You good. I started from a temp fade. You can keep getting the temp fade while you grow out your fro too. That's what I did

I have this but my barder overdid the fade
tumblr_nlxtjwwCGH1r4nmwjo1_500.jpg

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Africa. The fukk you think it comes from? If greeks or the celts or the vikings had "dreads" (they didn't), where you do think they got it from if everyone originates from Africa? white people didn't descend out of white people, they descended from Africans. Don't fall for the cac misinformation rebuttal.
I don't think they do. they come from something/somewhere else. They co-opted our stuff though.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
It will unravel at first but eventually, depending on how kinky your hair is, it will start to take shape after 3-4months. Softer textures tend to take longer to loc up.

One thing I recommend is to spend about 10-15min every few days to check dreads that are unraveling and just give them a quick palm roll.

Here are the locs that I did
BeFTL5R.jpg

OQqxTya.jpg

DItSA7R.jpg
Mines are the first ones, I started those in August with the help of my mom.

The other 2 are my daughters and I started those in April of last year. My first time starting any dreads and only information I had was some youtube vids. Information on how to start and maintain locs for US is few and far on the internet because of white people.

They only went to a shop once and that was the retwist thats in the picture. Up until last week I've been maintaining those dreads

Did you officially start growing your hair in April? Or did you always have a bit of hair?