I'm Thinking About Getting Dreads, Is it Worth it?

playplayaj

Drumming genius
Daps
Reppin
757 VA
why when you google dreadlocks only white people come up though. That's what still baffles me

Don't type in DREADlocks breh. We off that. Nothing dreadful about our hair. Instead type in "locs" or "starter locs" watch the results change. Same thing with instagram. They stopped calling them dreads a while back

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
Shorter they are the harder it will be to loc because your hair will uncoil/curl.

The 2nd pic is the way to go, minimum 3 inches or enough to wrap around your pinky once.

Why did you say to avoid Jamaican lime? I'm locking my hair this summer and I want to be prepared . I kept hearing great things about Jamaican lime, so I was considering using them. Do you know any good twist and loc gels.

playplayaj

Drumming genius
Daps
Reppin
757 VA
Why did you say to avoid Jamaican lime? I'm locking my hair this summer and I want to be prepared . I kept hearing great things about Jamaican lime, so I was considering using them. Do you know any good twist and loc gels.
Really it depends on your loctician :yeshrug: I get mines interlocked so she doesn't use anything. I use coconut oil at home for moisture

Retired Account

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
I would say no less than 3 inches to start.

you dont want to start with these:

images

with 3 inches mines were like this on the first day:
e4c2072ee0af7c9c94ae7538f1483ae1.jpg
Shorter they are the harder it will be to loc because your hair will uncoil/curl.

The 2nd pic is the way to go, minimum 3 inches or enough to wrap around your pinky once.

I have a temp fade now ( haven't gotten it faded in 2 months tho) should I get my hair evened out? Can i make my hair grow faster?

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps
Its really heavy and contains petroleum. I use taaliah waajid on me and my daughters hair because its light and doesn't cause build up which is good for us because i only retwist once every 2-3 months.

You can also create your own based on your hair needs (is it really oily, dry because you're in the sun alot, flaky scalp etc).

agnosticlady

Daps
Its really heavy and contains petroleum. I use taaliah waajid on me and my daughters hair because its light and doesn't cause build up which is good for us because i only retwist once every 2-3 months.

You can also create your own based on your hair needs (is it really oily, dry because you're in the sun alot, flaky scalp etc).

Thank you!!!

Did you start your locs yourself? I'm considering starting of with a loctician, but I am not sure. I want to be able to take care of my own locs. I'm afraid that when I try to retwist it will unravel.

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I had them back in the day before everyone did. Girls loved them. Didn't effect my career. Had to let them go when i started thinning. Don't roll them to tight bro. GoogleTraction alopecia.
Im suffering from the after effects now. Gotta rock short cuts for now on. I had them for 10yrs plus. I miss them though.

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps
Thank you!!!

Did you start your locs yourself? I'm considering starting of with a loctician, but I am not sure. I want to be able to take care of my own locs. I'm afraid that when I try to retwist it will unravel.
It will unravel at first but eventually, depending on how kinky your hair is, it will start to take shape after 3-4months. Softer textures tend to take longer to loc up.

One thing I recommend is to spend about 10-15min every few days to check dreads that are unraveling and just give them a quick palm roll.

Here are the locs that I did
BeFTL5R.jpg

OQqxTya.jpg

DItSA7R.jpg
Mines are the first ones, I started those in August with the help of my mom.

The other 2 are my daughters and I started those in April of last year. My first time starting any dreads and only information I had was some youtube vids. Information on how to start and maintain locs for US is few and far on the internet because of white people.

They only went to a shop once and that was the retwist thats in the picture. Up until last week I've been maintaining those dreads

agnosticlady

Daps
It will unravel at first but eventually, depending on how kinky your hair is, it will start to take shape after 3-4months. Softer textures tend to take longer to loc up.

One thing I recommend is to spend about 10-15min every few days to check dreads that are unraveling and just give them a quick palm roll.

Here are the locs that I did
BeFTL5R.jpg

OQqxTya.jpg

DItSA7R.jpg
Mines are the first ones, I started those in August with the help of my mom.

The other 2 are my daughters and I started those in April of last year. My first time starting any dreads and only information I had was some youtube vids. Information on how to start and maintain locs for US is few and far on the internet because of white people.

Wow you did a great job!

Did your daughters say that wanted locs or did you want to loc everyone's hair? You guys have beautiful healthy hair. I want to loc my own hair because I noticed that locticians lock too tight and a lot of their customers have receding hairlines. Want my locs to end up a medium size so I'm wondering what size I should start at..

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't type in DREADlocks breh. We off that. Nothing dreadful about our hair. Instead type in "locs" or "starter locs" watch the results change. Same thing with instagram. They stopped calling them dreads a while back
that's what my mom told me too, I ain't even know. I guess white people were the ones that called them DREADlocks but ok, thanks. that makes sense now. I'm in the Pacific Northwest so that's probably why I be behind with that

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps
Wow you did a great job!

Did your daughters say that wanted locs or did you want to loc everyone's hair? You guys have beautiful healthy hair. I want to loc my own hair because I noticed that locticians lock too tight and a lot of their customers have receding hairlines. Want my locs to end up a medium size so I'm wondering what size I should start at..
The one in the second picture wanted them first but she wanted faux locs. I told her no and showed her pictures of women and young girls with dreads and asked her if she wanted those instead. She liked them and about 2 months of "testing it" with her hair I finally did them.

Her sister saw them and wanted them too.

They are pretty confident girls who even big chopped their hair and wore afros to school.

I was tired of dealing with my hair and wearing a puffball because it was just too much to deal with on a daily.

If you want a medium, play around with some sizes in your hair. This gives you the chance to do them yourself too. Work around the front around the crown where its a little thicker. Do 2 strand twists to give you an idea of how thick they will be once they mature.

If you have a sister, cousin, friend that can help you get them started you shouldn't have to go to a shop unless you want a fancy style or something.
This guy here is really informative and how I got a good start with locs. Watch his vids and check out some of the products he mentions.

Kalik

Rasta in Babylon
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Florida / Bahamas
Grow em.... I did for 3 reasons. Felt it was a symbol of my beliefs. Felt something deep down, that I always wanted them from a child, and by not having was conforming to society. Lastly, it gave me that look I wanted.

I started off with free form when younger and cut them off. In my late twenties started again. Grew a fro, twisted it up. Then eventually got em done even spaced all over. My hair growth is fast, and I like them. They are neat, and when I want thickness I double them into two twists. Typically that's how I have them.