I'm Thinking About Getting Dreads, Is it Worth it?

playplayaj

Drumming genius
Daps
Reppin
757 VA
u saying my hairline will be messed up if I get locs?
A lot of people can't keep their hands out of their head and twist it everyday and while just sitting around, in class, bored, or just out of habit. Thats how you get that traction alopecia. I never twist my own hair. It only gets twisted by my
I have this but my barder overdid the fade
tumblr_nlxtjwwCGH1r4nmwjo1_500.jpg
Thats what i started with

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It definitely is worth it, if they're well-maintained, and don't affect your career.
As for the modern name "dreadlocks" I believe it is a term that was related to the conditions of the kidnapped Africans as they made their way to the US. Our hair locks by itself overtime, and combined with the conditions, I believe "dread" had to do with the state we were in, and not "dreadful" in the sense of them being unattractive.
I remember reading that a few years ago, but I'll have to do some research on it.
I've thought about doing it for years, and it would have been easier as an engineer/physicist/physician than as a lawyer.
Still definitely thinking about it.

Last edited:

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
If you're on the fence about loc'ing up, do it. Take the chance. It truly is a journey. It'll teach you patience, and perseverance. Not to mention the pride. This shyt is unique, and it is OURS!! NOBODY can rock locs like we can, no matter how hard they try.

I told myself if I can grow locs, then I can do anything. Now I'm three years in, fully loc'ed and loving it :blessed:. My wife asked me if I will ever cut them, and I gave her the :rudy:. These locs hold my life story of the past three years. There's joy, pain, struggle and triumph in those locs, and they're a part of me now. Just as they grow, so shall I.