• 6 Certs, 6 Figs, no degree necessary, no on-the-job injuries

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
It’s just another way to siphon money out of American citizens and to put barriers up so we can’t get certain jobs
Well yeah why do you think everything is manufactured in China and India now?
When you let corporations run the economy this is what happens

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
That was decades ago, when you could get a good job with a high school diploma.

The world has changed, and college has changed with it.

It's no longer a place for intellectual discovery.
It is if you aren't paying for the tuition or come from a trust fund.

Go look at USC and look at how many trust fund babies are down there majoring in cultural anthropology or theater lol

Sons and Daughters of Hollywood elites just going to college to have fun and find themselves. Most of us don't got that luxury

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
That was decades ago, when you could get a good job with a high school diploma.

The world has changed, and college has changed with it.

It's no longer a place for intellectual discovery.

I'll disregard them in a heartbeat.

Better to be a bitter Java developer than a fetching groceries for Instacart, or worse.
I don’t believe them majors lead to pushing carts at a grocery store, really the message should be people without a plan don’t need to go to college not what majors to not get

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
You do understand that biologists and chemistry majors who work for the right companies make serious bread right?

You make a good argument, better than most

I was in that very field, and IF they got on with the RIGHT company, if they pick the right job withing the company, they can EVENTUALLY make "big" money. (typically topping out 100-200k after 30+ years)

But the dude in Technical Sales typically does better than the tech s/he brings along to talk to the scientists and engineers who know how the stuff works.

There are a lot of broke chemistry majors, not even cooking up meth

But don't take my word for it

Here's some anecdotes

And here's some data from the Fed in terms of salary

Those #'s are decent, but then look at

Entry level jobs per year - 7,200
# of Chemistry Graduates - 15,000

You're thinking 80K-90k after 4-5 years is nice, but people doing that in IT in 12-18 months.

The old economy actually makes stuff - which is why they pay so poorly relative to the brain power and time and energy of the employees.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
It is if you aren't paying for the tuition or come from a trust fund.

Go look at USC and look at how many trust fund babies are down there majoring in cultural anthropology or theater lol

Sons and Daughters of Hollywood elites just going to college to have fun and find themselves. Most of us don't got that luxury

Salute!

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I don’t believe them majors lead to pushing carts at a grocery store, really the message should be people without a plan don’t need to go to college not what majors to not get

No, that's not my message at all.

Don't go to college for degrees that don't pay, get a trade instead.

It's in the title.

Stop hoping and praying that low paying fields will get you health insurance and a nice apartment in a good neighborhood.

"I'll figure something out..."

If Social Work is someone's passion - join a church, while the make real money during a 9-5.

Cry in your Mercedez Benz.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This feels like it's part of the anti-intellectualism wave that's been all over this country.

College is about more than the size of your paycheck afterwards. I'd prefer a population that actually knows our history and is taught to think critically about information over one that doesn't. You're not going to get many of those lessons in trade school.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
No, that's not my message at all.

Don't go to college for degrees that don't pay, get a trade instead.

It's in the title.

Stop hoping and praying that low paying fields will get you health insurance and a nice apartment in a good neighborhood.

"I'll figure something out..."

If Social Work is someone's passion - join a church, while the make real money during a 9-5.

Cry in your Mercedez Benz.
Like I said them majors ain’t bullshyt majors, and it’s shortsighted to claim that, I don’t know shyt about social work but architecture biology chemistry psychology finance geology history is 100% worthwhile majors that you can be gainfully employed and make some money

They don’t even teach kids properly in this country but yet they supposed to get only stem degrees, you need to put this energy into childhood education cause by time they college age it’s too late for majority of ‘em and don’t even realize they own potential

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
This feels like it's part of the anti-intellectualism wave that's been all over this country.

College is about more than the size of your paycheck afterwards. I'd prefer a population that actually knows our history and is taught to think critically about information over one that doesn't. You're not going to get many of those lessons in trade school.
It also seems like people passing the buck, instead of attacking the real issues and actually causing change let’s argue about some fantastically shyt like putting majority of American kids in stem when the country leadership has shown not only do they not care about education they will not invest no real money into actually training kids to be in stem

Mfs don’t even respect science or math but people supposed to go into stem

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
Yes. I say it with no hesitation.

If you're not a math/stem/medicine person - don't go to college. (trade school, certs)
And people usually know by the 4th grade if they like math and science.

Writing persuasive essays is actually a useful skill, but not a marketable one.

Folks steady being Assistant Managers @ Enterprise Rent A Car with degrees.
Folks doing Door Dash that hold heavy weight degrees.

Smart of them to pick an expanding field.

So we're in agreement.
I'm assuming you work in a STEM position. But it's been ten months and he still doesn't have a job. He's hemorrhaging money between rent, car note, basic needs, and traveling to conferences to hopefully find a strong network. He's being ambitious in thinking that he's going to drive a G-Wagon because of this career change in two years. Probably will end up making less then he was as a teacher admin. It's a lot of people that work in STEM positions who don't get the money they want, and a lot of it doesn't have to do with their acumen.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
:unimpressed:

We need black artists.
We need black writers.
We need black historians.
We need black chefs.
We need black therapists.
We need black businessmen and women.
We need black economists and those working in finance.

Telling black people to follow only one path diminishes our excellence. You decry lack of representation in media while at the same time shaming people for pursuing liberal studies because you’re both a fool and a hypocrite.

Let people do what they feel stirs their passion.

For all their talk, many STEM people like you are short-sighted and lack long-term thinking. For all those brains and scientific thinking you’re actually stupid as all fukk. Respectfully.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I'm assuming you work in a STEM position. But it's been ten months and he still doesn't have a job. He's hemorrhaging money between rent, car note, basic needs, and traveling to conferences to hopefully find a strong network. He's being ambitious in thinking that he's going to drive a G-Wagon because of this career change in two years. Probably will end up making less then he was as a teacher admin. It's a lot of people that work in STEM positions who don't get the money they want, and a lot of it doesn't have to do with their acumen.

If we want to talk about racism, we can do that. But that's status quo as a Black man in America. There are racists specifically within the hip hop industry, that's largely staffed by Black men. Everyone hates us, even us.

And "paras" don't make more than public school teachers, and public school teachers don't make much at all (especially considering the ed requirements and the working conditions"

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Like I said them majors ain’t bullshyt majors, and it’s shortsighted to claim that, I don’t know shyt about social work but architecture biology chemistry psychology finance geology history is 100% worthwhile majors that you can be gainfully employed and make some money

The #'s don't lie.

With Geology, you typically get on with an oil company. If oil prices are up, there's work for them. When it's down, they're some of the first to go.

The ratio of geology jobs to geology graduates is something like 5 to 1. Most geologists don't ever end up working in their field of study. End up on Youtube cracking open fossils or polishing up river stones for views.

History is probably the absolute worst on your list (most of those people want to be professors and universities are full up), but all of those fields of study have too many people seeking too few jobs, much less good paying jobs.

They don’t even teach kids properly in this country but yet they supposed to get only stem degrees, you need to put this energy into childhood education cause by time they college age it’s too late for majority of ‘em and don’t even realize they own potential

That should make you think

In an ocean of dummies, the smart kids go to college, spend a lot of money doing so, AND STILL CANT' GET JOBS.

They gotta depend on their own networking, their own family's networks, dumb luck to get jobs in fields that don't really have openings.

All that work, beating all those dummies in public school - and it STILL amounts to NOTHING.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps

A lot of STEM majors are legit stupid when it comes to social issues and issues with government operations, like not knowing the 3 branches of government and what they do. A lot of Ben Carsons in this Coli thread.

This feels like a 2008 SOHH thread "Major in STEM and eat" BS is OLD, OLD news.