• Disagree

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • 6 Certs, 6 Figs, no degree necessary, no on-the-job injuries

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
Those people going to school for a variety of things - remain poor/working poor.

There's an overall problem with the capitalist structure because it needs a lot of people to be poor for a few to be rich.

But in 2024, we need more plumbers and less sociology majors.
In another life I would of went to trades school to be an electrician.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
College is supposed to be about gaining knowledge and enlightenment, it’s wasn’t meant to be a jobs program

I say people go do whatever they into, I’m not about to tell a kid to not go hard in the psychologist, they can be the next sigmund frued or Carl Jung truth be told psychology is almost a stem, Architecture is stem, Finance/Economics is kinda stem, we need black historians to properly account for history, Biology/Chemistry is an important field to get into, Geology is an important field

Trying to handicap these kids to just certain fields ain’t necessarily the move, sure that may work for kids who don’t know what they want to do but let’s not disregard kids who really may have a interest/passion about something

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
People don't seem to understand that if everyone is in STEM, those STEM degrees will be just as useless as the other degrees they view as useless.
There will never not be enough stem people, stem will never be useless I don’t know where yall be getting that logic from

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
The trades is like cheat school for engineering. To kinda allow wypipo.
this weird way.
to do or perform in a industry. Without knowing indepthly or exactly.
how said project is really constructed.

or engineered.

As construction = engineering

It is a weird thing.

That I only understand from experience.
In some weird grassroots outsider art exception to the rule. While not being allowed in the trades.
or engineering through normal channels. Yet having more experience and skill.
in engineering and all the trade disciplines.
than the trades. Plus having experience as a civil engineer tech one without having an engineering degree.

Art Barr
The whole point of most if not all trades is to apply the engineers designs

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
The whole point of most if not all trades is to apply the engineers designs

Yet not know anything about engineering like that.

Like i said. It is wypipo practical untrained way to get around.

not being fully or well versed in engineering. while giving construction a different name from engineering.
without knowing how to be an engineer.
Engineer is another industrial name.
for how a white person can short chang.
The person who did all the calcilations.
or work as well.

it is a sick game.

Art Barr

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
I don't think you understand my point here. Your engineering salary is inflated because the corporations have to pay you that money to lure talent in...because there is a scarcity. They are not paying you because they like you, or because they have an appreciation for engineering. In fact, they'd pay you minimum wage if the market was strong enough for them to do so. If everyone in college changed to become an engineering major right now, your salary and job security would deflate within a few decades as a surge of experienced candidates spread into the workforce.

Why do you think Google and Facebook and all these companies are exploring certifications and pathways to circumvent the need for STEM degree, and lower the barrier of entry to the STEM career fields? The value of a STEM degree is already being actively questioned by several corporations. In fact...most STEM jobs could be accomplished without a college degree if we're being honest.
What stem degrees specifically is being devalued cause stem is more than just computer science

And google and facebook are not about to hire non degree people in high numbers, that’s just a tactic including with ai to lower pay for actual graduates and to lower the number of employees cause they can’t afford them

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
College is supposed to be about gaining knowledge and enlightenment, it’s wasn’t meant to be a jobs program

I say people go do whatever they into, I’m not about to tell a kid to not go hard in the psychologist, they can be the next sigmund frued or Carl Jung truth be told psychology is almost a stem, Architecture is stem, Finance/Economics is kinda stem, we need black historians to properly account for history, Biology/Chemistry is an important field to get into, Geology is an important field

Trying to handicap these kids to just certain fields ain’t necessarily the move, sure that may work for kids who don’t know what they want to do but let’s not disregard kids who really may have a interest/passion about something

:mjlol: I always laugh when I hear boomers say this shyt.

Even if it was true (which it isn't) it certainly hasn't been the case for decades. Virtually every job that isn't retail or fast food wants a baseline of education from its applicants. They also don't like training people so now you have 'Degree required' for ever damn job.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Yet not know anything about engineering like that.

Like i said. It is wypipo practical untrained way to get around.

not being fully or well versed in engineering. while giving construction a different name from engineering.
without knowing how to be an engineer.
Engineer is another industrial name.
for how a white person can short chang.
The person who did all the calcilations.
or work as well.

it is a sick game.

Art Barr
Trades is basically a jobs program for people who don’t want to go to school, and the American gov doesn’t value education enough to seriously invest into training kids at grammar school ages to become engineers

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Trades is basically a jobs program for people who don’t want to go to school, and the American gov doesn’t value education enough to seriously invest into training kids at grammar school ages to become engineers

Oh it works in a practical sense.

Yet being black.
The trade system is racist and good ole boi boss hawg ass fukk tho.

When the trade certification system.
exist as a way to keep black people out.

Art Barr

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Sure, if more people get into STEM then it gets flooded.

However, not many of those people will FINISH a degree in STEM.

Only 15% of college degrees are STEM for a reason. Not everyone is built for it.

"Everyone has a plan until they get hit by that first Calculus exam."
-Mike Tyson if he became a famous Physicist

Last edited:

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
Even STEM doesn't guaranteed you a cushy life as it used to before.
Because people are dumb and can't shut the fukk up.
If you're in an in-demand high paying field why the fukk would you go around telling everyone and their mama about it and to go into it?
Once everyone else is in it now your suddenly making less and it's harder to find a job.
This is what happened to lawyers.
Once a guaranteed 6 figure career now mediocrity guarantees you 5 figured.

Doctors would be next if it wasnt because of the rigors of getting into the field. All that upfront schooling cost.

When you start pushing STEM to everyone now nobody is special. You see plumbers out here making 6 figured now cuz it's in demand and there's a shortage.

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
Sure, if more people get into STEM then it gets flooded.

However, not many of those people will FINISH a degree in STEM.

Only 15% of college degrees are STEM for a reason. Not everyone is built for it.
Yes but even a 10% increase in qualified applicants year over year can have a drastic effect.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: I always laugh when I hear boomers say this shyt.

Even if it was true (which it isn't) it certainly hasn't been the case for decades. Virtually every job that isn't retail or fast food wants a baseline of education from its applicants. They also don't like training people so now you have 'Degree required' for ever damn job.
Boomers?
Like I said college wasn’t supposed to be meant for “getting a job”, it was supposed to be for expanding your scholarship/knowledge

Industrialization in America created this dynamic where you send people to designated colleges to be some farmers and shyt, and Ronald Regan and nem allowed this dynamic where banks and colleges can exploit the American public and now these jobs can put glass ceilings on black people who can’t afford to go to school

There used to be a time when only about 10% of people went to college and it only costed about a summers job worth of income to pay for it