• Disagree

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • 6 Certs, 6 Figs, no degree necessary, no on-the-job injuries

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Low key, one job that sort of is a trade and has a MASSIVE shortage is airline pilot. It's bad enough to the point where airlines are opening flight schools and guaranteeing a path to the major carriers after 2-3 years. The average airline pilot flies 75 hours a month. A 737 first officer makes $91 an hour their first year, and then it goes up to $134 or $140 an hour for their second year. Just food for thought.

Edit: those are numbers for United.

Last edited:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
:unimpressed:

We need black artists.
We need black writers.
We need black historians.
We need black chefs.
We need black therapists.
We need black businessmen and women.
We need black economists and those working in finance.

Telling black people to follow only one path diminishes our excellence. You decry lack of representation in media while at the same time shaming people for pursuing liberal studies because you’re both a fool and a hypocrite.

Let people do what they feel stirs their passion.

For all their talk, many STEM people like you are short-sighted and lack long-term thinking. For all those brains and scientific thinking you’re actually stupid as all fukk. Respectfully.

Look at the Asian population and how they get disrespected by the media despite economic success in STEM.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
But don't take my word for it

Here's some anecdotes

Why not some actual #'s? What percentage of college graduates are actually having a hard time making a living or paying for housing?

The #'s don't lie.

Post the #'s for how graduates are doing. The fact that there are more chemistry grads than chemistry jobs means nothing, because lots of people don't work in their major. You can graduate in chemistry and then go to medical school, or pharmacy school, become a teacher, start a business, cook drugs, anything.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
:unimpressed:

We need black artists.
We need black writers.
We need black historians.
We need black chefs.
We need black therapists.
We need black businessmen and women.
We need black economists and those working in finance.

Telling black people to follow only one path diminishes our excellence. You decry lack of representation in media while at the same time shaming people for pursuing liberal studies because you’re both a fool and a hypocrite.

Let people do what they feel stirs their passion.

For all their talk, many STEM people like you are short-sighted and lack long-term thinking. For all those brains and scientific thinking you’re actually stupid as all fukk. Respectfully.

The fact that he didn't even include "become a teacher" as a legitimate reason to go to college is wild.

There are MASSIVE teaching shortages across the country right now, especially in Black neighborhoods, and Black teachers are severely underrepresented in schools. We need way, way more competent people going to college to become teachers than we currently have.

And you can major in literally anything in undergrad and become a teacher, you just have to be able to pass the subject-matter tests for your credential and you'll be fine.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
The fact that he didn't even include "become a teacher" as a legitimate reason to go to college is wild.

There are MASSIVE teaching shortages across the country right now, especially in Black neighborhoods, and Black teachers are severely underrepresented in schools. We need way, way more competent people going to college to become teachers than we currently have.

And you can major in literally anything in undergrad and become a teacher, you just have to be able to pass the subject-matter tests for your credential and you'll be fine.
Nope. Only STEM is important. This is why people that solely chase money are a plague.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Post the #'s for how graduates are doing. The fact that there are more chemistry grads than chemistry jobs means nothing, because lots of people don't work in their major. You can graduate in chemistry and then go to medical school, or pharmacy school, become a teacher, start a business, cook drugs, anything.

That's exactly what it means Professor.

I've posted plenty of docs and links in the thread.

Show me something.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Low key, one job that sort of is a trade and has a MASSIVE shortage is airline pilot. It's bad enough to the point where airlines are opening flight schools and guaranteeing a path to the major carriers after 2-3 years. The average airline pilot flies 75 hours a month. A 737 first officer makes $91 an hour their first year, and then it goes up to $134 or $140 an hour for their second year. Just food for thought.

Edit: those are numbers for United.

A lot of the airlines prefer military pilots to everyone else.

Got military fam (rip), and I don't know if I'd push anyone in that direction.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Nope. Only STEM is important. This is why people that solely chase money are a plague.

They fukk up the QUALITY of service in those professions, like money hungry doctors, or price gouging executives of drug companies, or scamming accountants that RIP off customers.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That's exactly what it means Professor.

I've posted plenty of docs and links in the thread.

Show me something.

Do you have a degree?

I graduated with a degree in STEM, and I know tons of people who are working outside their major and still doing well. They're entrepreneurs, they're teachers, they're programmers, they got a professional degree after undergrad (med school, law school, pharmacy school, P.A. school, etc.), they went into engineering despite having an undergrad degree in a different STEM subject, they went into higher education, or they simply got a job in a difference science field than the one they graduated in.

Just looking at chemistry teachers alone, there are 50,000 in America, so bare minimum you're going to have at least 3,000 openings a year just for that position. (And that doesn't count physical science teachers for 7th/8th/9th grades). Those wouldn't be counted as "chemistry jobs" by your numbers. So that alone shows how misleading your stats are.

Claiming that the # of job openings in a field should match the # of graduates with that degree suggests a basic misunderstanding of job alignment.

egsteel

All Star
Daps
If I was 18 right now, I would say get the best education you can for the least amount of money, and maybe even pursue it on a part-time basis only while working full-time somewhere. We don't know what this future is going to bring so I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket, saddle myself with unpayable debt, and make my skillset as diverse as possible with a focus on 2 or 3 specialties.
100% agree. If I had it to do all over again my post high school career would've been focused on trades for at least a decade and then college. I can also think of at least a dozen 1-2 year tech certificate programs that'll have you coming out making 20-30hr.

I still think college is great, but it can be a gamble if you weren't the best student to begin with or just plain old immature.

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
A lot of the airlines prefer military pilots to everyone else.

Got military fam (rip), and I don't know if I'd push anyone in that direction.

Not now, that's changed a ton because of the fact that military recruiting numbers are WAY down.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Do you have a degree?

I graduated with a degree in STEM, and I know tons of people who are working outside their major and still doing well. They're entrepreneurs, they're teachers,

they're programmers, they got a professional degree after undergrad (med school, law school, pharmacy school, P.A. school, etc.), they went into engineering despite having an undergrad degree in a different STEM subject, they went into higher education, or they simply got a job in a difference science field than the one they graduated in.

Just looking at chemistry teachers alone, there are 50,000 in America, so bare minimum you're going to have at least 3,000 openings a year just for that position. (And that doesn't count physical science teachers for 7th/8th/9th grades). Those wouldn't be counted as "chemistry jobs" by your numbers. So that alone shows how misleading your stats are.

Claiming that the # of job openings in a field should match the # of graduates with that degree suggests a basic misunderstanding of job alignment.

The jokes write themselves here.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Are you suggesting that people don't go to college to become teachers? Or that we don't need more teachers? Do you think that teaching isn't an important thing for more men and more STEM-oriented persons to get into for the good of society? Or.....what exactly? Because you didn't respond to a single point in my argument.

I accused you of displaying anti-intellectualism earlier in this thread, and you seem to be proving me right.

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
I'm not sure if you have children or not, but do you expect some magical entity to teach their impressionable children, or are we going to pretend that the WFH wave is still a thing and someone can homeschool their children in the household while also dealing with their anal-retentive co-workers.