• Agree

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Disagree

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • 6 Certs, 6 Figs, no degree necessary, no on-the-job injuries

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
If you're not going to College for STEM/Medicine (and the good stem, like Computer Science/Pre-Med, not Biology/Chemistry (low pay) or Zoology/Botany/Geology (no jobs)), you should go into the trades. (I'll including Accounting and Nursing as good majors)

Say no to
  • Marketing - No
  • Advertising - No.
  • History - No
  • European/Black/Latino/Arabic/Women's/LGBT/Religious Studies - No.
  • Spanish/Chinese/Japanese/German/ASL - No
  • English/Literature/Creative Writing - No.
  • Political Science/Philosophy - No
  • Psychology - No.
  • Fine Arts - No.
  • Architecture - No.
  • Pre Law - No.
  • Finance/Economics - No.
  • Business Communication - No.
You get the drift.
Stomping on dreams.
I'm not adding any context.

If you want to, that's your business.

That's it.
That's the post.

Agree, or disagree.

I think it all depends on location and your alumni network.

There's a lot of marketing and advertising people making good money these days . Same for architects.

Hell finance and econ grads lock in at an investment firm or big bank and are eating better than anybody damn near.

Keep hearing don't do this or that but still see people in those fields having success

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
You don't need any skill to build a bridge, install plumbing in a hospital, or wire up an airport?

The trades is like cheat school for engineering. To kinda allow wypipo.
this weird way.
to do or perform in a industry. Without knowing indepthly or exactly.
how said project is really constructed.

or engineered.

As construction = engineering

It is a weird thing.

That I only understand from experience.
In some weird grassroots outsider art exception to the rule. While not being allowed in the trades.
or engineering through normal channels. Yet having more experience and skill.
in engineering and all the trade disciplines.
than the trades. Plus having experience as a civil engineer tech one without having an engineering degree.

Art Barr

DonFrancisco

Your Favorite Tio!
Daps
Reppin
Sabado Gigante
As someone who worked in a warehouse from order fulfiller to project management trade jobs aren't all they are cracked up to be. Met and manage people who had trade jobs and employment can get scares and hard to find. Large companies run by MBAs will always values a college degree and give you more leeway to pitch improvement if you like. College really does make you polished and help make you presentable

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
I never get this argument. It feels like you're telling people to stifle their skills or passion just to spend time trying to pass Differential Equations or Calculus II. Also ,not everyone is going to be well-versed as a mechanic, HVAC, or a nurse. And going to school for that isn't cheap. My family member is going that route you're talking after teaching for 20 years, but they quit their job and essentially spends all day learning cyberseurity and DevOps principles online.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I think it all depends on location and your alumni network.

There's a lot of marketing and advertising people making good money these days . Same for architects.

Hell finance and econ grads lock in at an investment firm or big bank and are eating better than anybody damn near.

Keep hearing don't do this or that but still see people in those fields having success

The bolded.
is kinda what the threadstarter is getting at.

Since affirmative action was changed.
from its original intention and flavor.

Every aspect of working in america for a black person. Is under the thumb of boss hog style good ole' boyism.

So a black person.
could be the greatest mind in any stem discipline.

Yet never get any actual experience in said industry as well.

Once affirmative action was changed during dub-ya.

Going to any university or college to get a degree. As a black person was basically buying and owning a worthless receipt. Where in essence you are revisting being an educated Pullman porter. Or George with out an opportunity.
to even work on the railroad.
as a George.

So this discussion is a bit deeper being black. Than just pairing it down to.
stem is the best overall answer.
If you are black.

As you can be black with a stem degree. Then be in the same programs with outsider art driven people with no degree. Plus never have.
said high drive degree result in employment.
The real discussion is in the change.
to affirmative action under dub-ya.

Art Barr

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
People said this same kind of thing with law school in the 2000s until the Great Recession blew things apart there.

Finance and economics are not the same major. Finance is more accounting.

If you want a job get something in trades cause it’s the only thing AI has no answer for. All the other stuff looks like it’s about to get bulldozed over.

This is not necessarily true with the advancements they are trying to make with robotics.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
As someone who worked in a warehouse from order fulfiller to project management trade jobs aren't all they are cracked up to be. Met and manage people who had trade jobs and employment can get scares and hard to find. Large companies run by MBAs will always values a college degree and give you more leeway to pitch improvement if you like. College really does make you polished and help make you presentable

It is just a receipt.

To fake make you look better. When higher ups.
get to talking about workers.
or personnel like baseball cards.

Art Barr

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

The average annual salary for a psychiatrist in the US is $247,350.

Looks like some pretty good bread to me. But that probably falls under the M in STEM :yeshrug:

I love it when y'all post data.

This is an old data point (2014), but there are are ~106,000K working psychologists in America

An estimated 106,500 psychologists possess current licenses in the United States.1

California (17,890) New York (12,020) and Pennsylvania (5,620) have the most licensed psychologists, while Wyoming (170), South Dakota (190) and Alaska (190) have the fewest.

In 2021, U.S. institutions awarded 134,407 bachelor’s degrees, 32,270 master’s degrees, and 6,969 doctoral degrees in psychology.1

106K working currently, but 134K graduating every year.

What the #'s tell us is that America graduates lots of psych majors, but most of psych degree holders don't get to that 250K level.

Turns out most of the psych majors run into some roadblocks when it comes to getting into the medical/money side of the game.

This pattern exists across most fields - but some are much more equitable than others.

GetSomeMoney

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I think there is some truth to what you say OP but I think the bigger focus should be on what job you may want to (or have to) work in, the availability of that job and then what degrees can lead to that job. One of the issues I have seen are people going to school to get a degree solely with a plan to start a business or work independently. That same degree should have a viable job option if the entrepreneur options don't work. At the end, there just needs be better planning. I don't think our culture (I am excluding African immigrants) from a parental stand point don't offer enough direction before their children go to college.

Last edited:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I never get this argument. It feels like you're telling people to stifle their skills or passion just to spend time trying to pass Differential Equations or Calculus II.

Yes. I say it with no hesitation.

If you're not a math/stem/medicine person - don't go to college. (trade school, certs)
And people usually know by the 4th grade if they like math and science.

Writing persuasive essays is actually a useful skill, but not a marketable one.

Folks steady being Assistant Managers @ Enterprise Rent A Car with degrees.
Folks doing Door Dash that hold heavy weight degrees.

Also ,not everyone is going to be well-versed as a mechanic, HVAC, or a nurse. And going to school for that isn't cheap. My family member is going that route you're talking after teaching for 20 years, but they quit their job and essentially spends all day learning cyberseurity and DevOps principles online.

Smart of them to pick an expanding field.

So we're in agreement.

RennisDeynolds

Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Finance and economics are not the same major. Finance is more accounting.

If you want a job get something in trades cause it’s the only thing AI has no answer for. All the other stuff looks like it’s about to get bulldozed over.

Finance and accounting are two totally different things. Share some aspects sure

RennisDeynolds

Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
The engineers that graduate from college that design and manage the projects and the “unskilled” labor that actually builds it.

Engineering is full of fukking idiots who barely scraped by college and got on bc of nepotism. Probably part of the reason the infrastructure in this country falling to shyt