If you're an atheist and thinks nothing happens when you die, what motivates you?

BuyandSave

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#inherentville
How does atheist associate its self with life? Why live if you don't believe in anything..why make the most of your life when technically it doesn't matter

I get what the thread starter was trying to say

:rudy: What do you mean it doesn't matter? I live life to the fullest for myself - not to get anywhere else. I love it here just fine and I don't want to get to a "better" place because this is the place I know and love with everyone I know and love in it. If life matters so little without heaven, how can you enjoy it? I don't get religious types:heh:

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
:rudy: What do you mean it doesn't matter? I live life to the fullest for myself - not to get anywhere else. I love it here just fine and I don't want to get to a "better" place because this is the place I know and love with everyone I know and love in it. If life matters so little without heaven, how can you enjoy it? I don't get religious types:heh:

must be hard to enjoy life when you are having to constantly fight the urge to murder people and rape women. cause i mean gettin to heaven is the only thing stoppin some people from doing that.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
alright, i couldn't read anymore. it's sad ppl attach morality and being a good person to religion.

Dude, this is NOT about being religious...This is about understanding why any Atheist would feel like they need to care about being "good" or "bad"...

If you are an Atheist, then I am assuming you base your existence on science and logic...

So let me tell you this, there is NO "good" or "bad" in Science...There is NO morality in Science and Logic...

"Good" and "Bad" are based on belief, not science...

many of us don't need books to know right from wrong. it worries me that some people would probably snap and rape/kill innocent people if their faith was seriously tested.

You do need "books" to know what's "right" or "wrong"...No animal (especially the human animal) is born with a moral code...

Somethings you believe to be either "right" or "wrong" were not always considered such, and there is no telling if they will remain as such in the far future...

There is no "right" or "wrong"...All we have are "legal" vs "Illegal" that is determined by the most powerful people in our societies...

How can you prove that any given action is ultimately "right" or "wrong"...? You don't know the end consequence of any decision that anyone human makes, so how can you say that any given action (or inaction for that matter) is "right" or "wrong"...

One may argue that slavery was ultimately "good" for some black people, because the descendents of those who were enslaved in America are in a better socioeconomic position than those who remained in Africa...

Morality and Ethics is definitely born out of Religion (I am not necessarily writing about a belief in the supernatural)...Because they only exist in the human social world, but they are NOT universal...

also passing down a legacy should seem more important to those who don't believe in god.

Nothing should be important if you are just an animal who is going to die and decompose...

No human can live through anybody else...You only have your life, and once that is finished it is finished...

Whatever purpose you give your life is only good for as long as you are alive...It's just another survival mechanism...

considering atheist don't believe in an after life, a strong legacy is all one has to leave behind of his life. who cares about a legacy on earth when you believe you'll live forever after death?

But you will die and your legacy wont matter to you...What's the point of anything if you are not going to be around to experience it...?

How can an Atheist attach any other meaning to having children except to that of biological reproduction for the survival of the species...?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
How does atheist associate its self with life? Why live if you don't believe in anything..why make the most of your life when technically it doesn't matter

I get what the thread starter was trying to say

This doesn't make any sense.

Religious people just say their purpose is to serve XYZ god.

But you all can't even decide which god to serve.

So NONE of your "purposes" even match up.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
This doesn't make any sense.

Religious people just say their purpose is to serve XYZ god.

But you all can't even decide which god to serve.

So NONE of your "purposes" even match up.

It's the same god with different translations. It's hard for me to dismiss any kind of afterlife based on the fact that why are we here in the first place? What the fukk placed us here? I mean think about it? How did we get here? What is life all about, the fact it is even a thing is crazy in itself. How could you dismiss afterlife off that premise alone?

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
The idea that people are inherently good is pure bullshyt. The difference between a true person of faith and an atheist is that the person of faith knows that he is evil and without God he can't attain salvation and the atheist done convinced himself he is God therefore defines what is evil and what is not. We all cheat, lie, kill with our heart, envy, jealous, selfish so how can any man say he is good!

nikka please save that shyt for someone else

Bu bu bu but nothing. No deep down in your heart there is no goodness jut self interest :shaq2:

Kitsune

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Their life?

You mean yours too right?

Nietzsche was right...but that doesn't mean we can't make the most out of this life.

Existentialism is what this thread is approaching, but again... I don't think many of you are ready to peel back the layer on that onion. :mjpls:

lol I dont actually believe that shyt, I say "theirs" because I wasnt speaking from my own perspective. Secondly, the post would of course have existentailistic undertones, theres really no way to avoid it. The raw athesitic perspective of life ultimately leads to it when one is honest about its implications

but now that I think about it,my sig is actually a biblical quote in response to the philosophy. What a coincidence :pachaha:

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
It's the same god with different translations. It's hard for me to dismiss any kind of afterlife based on the fact that why are we here in the first place? What the fukk placed us here? I mean think about it? How did we get here? What is life all about, the fact it is even a thing is crazy in itself. How could you dismiss afterlife off that premise alone?

breh i wanna see where you're going with this, and as a humanist i believe in the power of humankind (meaning i'm happy for religion as long as it's what is driving you to do great things), but there is an incredibly loose connection you've posited here, and i really can't see anything but wishful thinking there.

and NO, breh, NO, the gods that are worshipped by Hindus are NOT the same gods their forefathers worshipped, and just because they may have swerved in and out of the same set of qualities as your specific god does not make them the same god.

for a long time religious scholarship was on some :blessed: we're all the same underneath, in the past ten years people have changed course, and rightly so, to realize that each religion and sometimes each denomination within that religion, does not have the same view of their so-called god.

respect can be granted without assimiliation. the fact that people worship different gods that all tell them murder is bad says more about human nature than it does a code of the gods

blvckbieber

Rookie
Daps
Dead @ op saying becuz I dont believe in heaven and hell i dont being broke and livin in the street

Nah bruh

The beauty of it lies exactly in wut u said: nothing matters. So I can do wuteva the fukk I want(while repectin others of course, u dun need religion to have morals) and make sure I live it to the fullest and yolo it out cuz this may the only life ill ever have.

In this body :merchant:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
The idea that people are inherently good is pure bullshyt. The difference between a true person of faith and an atheist is that the person of faith knows that he is evil and without God he can't attain salvation and the atheist done convinced himself he is God therefore defines what is evil and what is not. We all cheat, lie, kill with our heart, envy, jealous, selfish so how can any man say he is good!

nikka please save that shyt for someone else

Bu bu bu but nothing. No deep down in your heart there is no goodness jut self interest :shaq2:

Explain altruism.

I never claimed that there was an inherent or objective morality.

I'm not arguing that.

I'm saying that religiously motivated altruism or "morality" is essentially bullshyt since so many theists operate outside of the very moral constructs they seem to assert.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

If I don't know the answer to that, does that THEREFORE mean there was a jew in the middle east 2000 years ago who happened to make a revelation and asks you to follow in its tradition to this day?

resurrection

By Way of Deception, Thou Shalt Do War
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
LOL @ prioritizing a future life you have no evidence will actually happen over the real life you are living now, the only one you know is real..

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I could easily revert this argument into the most deconstructionist terms and put you all on the level of essentially complex chemistry operating at the quantum level...but apparently you all need more self-esteem than to come to the realization that you are essentially far, far less important than you think you are, or unique.

blvckbieber

Rookie
Daps
Explain altruism.

I never claimed that there was an inherent or objective morality.

I'm not arguing that.

I'm saying that religiously motivated altruism or "morality" is essentially bullshyt since so many theists operate outside of the very moral constructs they seem to assert.

this is so true

nikkas got me like :wtf:

rappers that thank god at award shows :why:

like nikka stfu u aint no true christian god aint blessin u fo yo bullshyt