If you're an atheist and thinks nothing happens when you die, what motivates you?

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
As an atheist, I agree with most of this, except the bolded.

Yeah, I don't believe in morality and if I need to be unethical at some point to get ahead, I have no qualms about doing it. I also don't care about leaving a legacy because I won't even be aware of it when I'm dead and buried, so I won't be having kids.

However, I think it's up to the individual to make the most out of life while he or she is on earth. This life is the only one we have, so I'm not going to mess it up by being unproductive and poor. I'm here to live my life to the fullest and be happy via whatever means it takes as long as it doesn't get me thrown in jail.
:ehh: Good post

triplehate

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ECU
The initial post mentioned why would we stress over things if we are gonna die anyway. :gladbron: i DONT!

nikkas be out here literally living scared...like they aint gonna die anyway :bryan:

I dont care what people think about me while im actually living so im definitely not worried about a "legacy" when im dead.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
The initial post mentioned why would we stress over things if we are gonna die anyway. :gladbron: i DONT!

nikkas be out here literally living scared...like they aint gonna die anyway :bryan:

I dont care what people think about me while im actually living so im definitely not worried about a "legacy" when im dead.
A lot of people think like this but people here seem to fail to realize that. That shyt is kinda creepy to think about being non-existent though.

triplehate

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ECU
A lot of people think like this but people here seem to fail to realize that. That shyt is kinda creepy to think about being non-existent though.

The initial post in the thread about why would you do anything if you knew you were gonna die. I dealt with that when I was about 7 or 8 and I believe it was in a vacation bible school lesson when they were like we all will die some day.

And i was like :whoa: wait a minute breh you dont know that. This is the first time my parents have ever had a child you dont know that I wont live forever. And they were like no we will all pass away even your mom and dad.

:mindblown: So im like, so why the fukk do i have to got to school, why do I have to do homework, none of this shyt matters if it is impossible to win

Over time it slowly eased into my brain that it was a lot of things in your life you arent control of because you are a child. But once you are an adult. You are free to live your life, and as long as you can deal with the consequences of them it isnt such a bad thing to just have one life.

It was around that age that i decided I wasnt going to have kids because I didnt want to do anything that I would have to be responsible for and take the control out of my life away.

Living things die, I dont know why we would be so self absorbed to think we are above the natural progression of things.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
A lot of you folks are missing the point the OP is trying to make...

If you are truly an Atheist, and thus believe a human is just another species on Earth, and ultimately like any other species, then nothing you do or don't do ultimately matters...

If you are truly an Atheist then morals and ethics, and being a "good" person shouldn't have any meaning to you...

Ultimately, it's survival of the fittest...You are "good" if it helps in one instance and "bad" if it helps you in another...You shouldn't care about being "good" all the time...For what...?

If you are an Atheist, then why the hell should you care about "legacy"...? Humans care about what we do, because we have a MEMORY...At the end of the day, we want to remember, and we get pleasure or pain from what we remember and how we remember it...

Just an example, some people want to have children because the thought of having a "legacy" is appealing...However, that thought is only appealing because you have a brain that is functioning, and has be socially programmed to accept that kind of thinking...

But ultimately, we all die, and thus, we wont have any thoughts, subsequently, we wont be able to experience pain or pleasure...

Therefore, at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you leave a legacy behind, because you will die, and your brain will not be able to think or reflect on anything you did in your life...

Basically, it doesn't matter if you were poor or a billionaire, because once you are dead ALL experience is GONE...

So, if you are truly an atheist then it shouldn't matter if you "commit that" today or live your life until you are 100 years old, because at the end of it all, you wont even know you were ever alive...

To conclude, let me make this analogy...

If you enrolled in a course in University/College and the Professor told you on the very first day, "it doesn't matter how much you struggle or enjoy the course, in the end of the semester, you are GUARANTEED that you are going to fail, and even worse, you wont even remember the experience of taking that course"

Why would anybody care about the course knowing and believing this...?

breh, there's nonbelievers and then there's nihilists, they might overlap for some but they're not one in the same.

jmspro

Banned
Daps
Maybe slightly off topic but if I had 100% proof their was a god and a heaven then I couldn't wait to die. Since suicide is considered a sin in the bible I would wake up everyday hoping this would be the day that I was offed somehow.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Maybe slightly off topic but if I had 100% proof their was a god and a heaven then I couldn't wait to die. Since suicide is considered a sin in the bible I would wake up everyday hoping this would be the day that I was offed somehow.

Yeah, I used to think that death would be wonderful and you'd be up there with your relatives and friends you lost in the past. Almost had you excited about the prospect. But as I am in my late 20's now, I hit a mid life crisis like a mufukka and realize this shyt could end very soon. Just like bow, I'm gone forever, eternally. Best thing to do is to not think about it and just let it happen. Won't even know your dead. :lupe: