If Jennifer Lawrence Can't Open a Movie, Who Can?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I am all for auteur driven material that no one would care about other than the director's family (not going to name any names), but Francis Lawrence doing Red Sparrow at a 69 million dollar budget was just a cash grab. If that film was made for 24 million because Jennifer Lawrence and him took less bread, no one would be killing it.

If you are going to take the full freight, then you need to deliver at the box office. Full stop.

No lies. It's the reason why Proud Mary can come and go and no one blinks an eye because they made it on the real cheap. Red Sparrow is an expensive flick. And while I haven't seen it, I know the reviews haven't been kind to it (which doesn't help) but from a marketing standpoint, much like Blade Runner it's too damn esoteric. Gotta stop marketing these new IPs as mysteries. Give the people a reason to care

Cruise is pretty much a shoe in now...

Cruise is only a shoe in for mission impossible movies. He ain't what he used to be as far as a draw

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
And the point I'd make is that it used to not matter. You put Tom Hanks' name on anything and it's a hit. No matter the movie or its quality. That's the definition of a star, or at least the old definition. You put Clark Gable or Jimmy Stewart or Tom Hanks or Tom Cruise or Denzel's name on anything and you're going to the bank.
what's your theory? :ld:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Even Leo isn't guaranteed to pull in a smash. J. Edgar was a flop.

Leo does have a lot of successes, but it has more to do with how discerning he is with his roles. He has only made 8 movies in the last 10 years, and all of them were with top notch directors. I mean he won with the Revnant but it's been three years since then and he hasn't made anything, only now coming back out to work with Tarantino again. We'll see if his star would be as bright if he was making 1-2 movies every year like other "stars" do.

Also true. A Leo movie is an event movie, much the same way an Eminem album is (for better or worse)

And J. Edgar was awful. Absolutely awful:russ:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
what's your theory? :ld:

My theory is there's more fighting for our attention now and we've got more options. So I don't have to go out and see the latest tom hanks movie (The Post) because there's also Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, VOD, etc. and it's a crapshoot when I go to the theater but if I take a chance on something on Netflix, no big deal I can just move on.

Also, the mystique of stars is kinda lost now. @Tasha And has a point about Leo and how he handles things. He's not on social media, he's not in the news a lot, and he doesn't make a movie every year or make 1-2 flicks a year. He makes a movie every few years and it feels like a big deal. Him and Brad Pitt and Margot are about to do a QT movie that will be huge because of them but the last movie he did was the revenant which was how long ago? So he's able to maintain that actual celebrity. He isn't with the new age star stuff of letting us into his world and showing he's just like us. That helps

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
My theory is there's more fighting for our attention now and we've got more options. So I don't have to go out and see the latest tom hanks movie (The Post) because there's also Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, VOD, etc. and it's a crapshoot when I go to the theater but if I take a chance on something on Netflix, no big deal I can just move on.

Also, the mystique of stars is kinda lost now. @Tasha And has a point about Leo and how he handles things. He's not on social media, he's not in the news a lot, and he doesn't make a movie every year or make 1-2 flicks a year. He makes a movie every few years and it feels like a big deal. Him and Brad Pitt and Margot are about to do a QT movie that will be huge because of them but the last movie he did was the revenant which was how long ago? So he's able to maintain that actual celebrity. He isn't with the new age star stuff of letting us into his world and showing he's just like us. That helps

yea ur right.

take kevin hart who's having a monster run of his own right now... even though he's a huge star he's also spread himself very thin. not only does it feel like he's in 2-3 movies every year but he's also all over social media and he makes appearances all the time on other shows i.e. nba all star weekend where he was practically the host.

so when you hear there's a new kevin hart movie ur like :yeshrug:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
yea ur right.

take kevin hart who's having a monster run of his own right now... even though he's a huge star he's also spread himself very thin. not only does it feel like he's in 2-3 movies every year but he's also all over social media and he makes appearances all the time on other shows i.e. nba all star weekend where he was practically the host.

so when you hear there's a new kevin hart movie ur like :yeshrug:

Pretty much. And that's no diss to Kevin cause he's putting in work. Rocky is hit or miss too and he's the biggest "star" in Hollywood at the moment if we're going off of high earners. Baywatch flopped but Jumanji was a monster.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
Pretty much. And that's no diss to Kevin cause he's putting in work. Rocky is hit or miss too and he's the biggest "star" in Hollywood at the moment if we're going off of high earners. Baywatch flopped but Jumanji was a monster.

jumanji also had kevin hart and jack black. replace them with two d-list celebs and that movie doesn't hit as big i don't think.

has rock really carried a HUGE movie by himself yet?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
jumanji also had kevin hart and jack black. replace them with two d-list celebs and that movie doesn't hit as big i don't think.

has rock really carried a HUGE movie by himself yet?

Well San Andreas so I gotta give him that. Well see if he can do it again with rampage and skyscraper lol

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
those are both going to bomb BAD!

We'll see. Rampage already moved its release date to avoid infinity war so Rocky is going to need powerful word of mouth for it. Especially because it's a video game movie an those have a reputation. Only reason I say we'll see is because I thought San Andreas would bomb and it didn't so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
We'll see. Rampage already moved its release date to avoid infinity war so Rocky is going to need powerful word of mouth for it. Especially because it's a video game movie an those have a reputation. Only reason I say we'll see is because I thought San Andreas would bomb and it didn't so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

nah whoever greenlit rampage should be shot. awful idea.

yea it was a popular video game from back in the day but it wasn't THAT big... like it wasn't no damn cultural touchstone.

there are people that probably PLAYED rampage and have no idea this movie has anything to do with it.

even if you are aware it already looks like an AWFUL movie... imagine how it looks to someone who has no idea. im being honest if i didn't know any better and i saw the trailer for this movie i would think it's a sign of the dumbpocalypse.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
nah whoever greenlit rampage should be shot. awful idea.

yea it was a popular video game from back in the day but it wasn't THAT big... like it wasn't no damn cultural touchstone.

there are people that probably PLAYED rampage and have no idea this movie has anything to do with it.

even if you are aware it already looks like an AWFUL movie... imagine how it looks to someone who has no idea. im being honest if i didn't know any better and i saw the trailer for this movie i would think it's a sign of the dumbpocalypse.

A movie being a dumb idea has never stopped it from making money:russ: like I said, I give him the benefit of the doubt. I won't be surprised either way