Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've had this convo in depth already, but I agree with Idris.

Did SJ feel the same way about AAs portraying Jamaicans in Cool Runnings or How Stella got her groove back for example?

We ain't "taking over" shyt so some people need to relax.

Idris did his thing as Stringer. At the time nobody even knew he was British because he was largely unknown. Didnt matter. He did justice to the role. There are probably still people that dont know he is British that only know him from The Wire. I am sure him being an unknown quantity and coming with a bargain price largely influenced the decision for him to play Stringer. He was the best actor for the price.

As far as Cool Runnings....were there better qualified Jamaican actors they could have cast? Even if there were, were they as visible at the time as the actors who were cast? Its all relative. You cant arbitrarily compare one situation to another.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
i think they "imported" them because they are just better actors.

look at SOME the black talent that Spike Lee ushered in during the 90's

200_s.gif

latest

and look at who Tyler Perry brought in during the 00's

MV5BMTQzOTE5MDI5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDc2MjM4MTE@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

MV5BMTM1ODQyNTE3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTIxMTEwNQ@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

i mean we kind of built the damn door for the British black actors to come through and take over:manny:

No we did not....... this is complete and utter bullshyt....

Daps
ITT: A buncha butt-hurt ameribrehs (and one musty lookin broad) complaining about non-AA's superior acting abilities. I must say, its been a great read. Keep the hate flowing, brehs.

:kobesmuglol:

@Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha keep yo foot on these insecure mfers neck. :salute:
Non-AA superior acting abilities? Insecure? Our actors/actresses have won far more Academy Awards, Golden Globes, Emmy's, Tony awards and SAG awards than any non-Black American. We gross more at the box office too.

Last edited:

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You aren't learning good accents from the US from watching tv, because tv most of the accents are turned down for general consumption of the country.
This is why when you had Nicole Kidman and Jude Law being southerners in Cold Mountain they stood out, but an actual southerner like Renee Zellweger she nailed it. Its why when Michael Caine does southern accents he sticks out as fog horn leghorn. If you want a funny example, its hard for americans themselves who aren't from the south to do a proper southern accent based off tv, look at northeast actor Dule Hill.

So again, for someone who likes to brag about how much you know about the US, please stop, because its clear you don't.
lol how would you know how people in Europe sound when doing accents? you've never been there. ive probably been and lived in more states in USA than you. you're not versed in this topic, you're not well enough travelled.
did you know most young people in Europe speak in American accents when talking English?

parallax

Superstar
Daps
once again, actual west Africans have reservations about his accents

other than don what other AA can do good accents?

all the nominations and wins for best actor that both men pulled through both roles, but theres reservations... ok.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
all the nominations and wins for best actor that both men pulled through both roles, but theres reservations... ok.
lol voted by americans, americans are known for not knowing about the world. or accents, lol shyt alotta americans like new Yorkers don't even believe they themselves have accents.

so yeah name 7 AA that can do accents.