Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
post one opinion and think it negates the whole state of an industry from a black perspective brehs...

act like spike's opinion matters but samuel l's doesnt when samuel l is the reason spike is what he is today brehs...

giphy.gif

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
For the record, I don't think David Oyelewo should have played MLK, then again I never liked the dude from day one anyway lol.

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
they didn't like forrest or will smith not because they're American/ but because the accent wasn't authentic.

No they are just petty and dare I say, tribal - nothing wrong with wanting to promote your own actors but you can't dictate how studios cast unless you have some political backing and wealth. Did the same to Thandie Newton - her mom is African. See below.

Unfortunately American actors no matter the color will be replaced by foreigners like Christian Bale. I love Brazilian movies. The actors are often trained in theatre as well cinema and are good. Not to mention cheaper and wont demand rights. Hollywood execs are growing weary of pesky unionized actors/writers and their strikes and wage demand.

There are others who have taken a similar stance in respects to non-Africans playing the role of Africans in film. Fairly recently, Thandie Newton, who is half English and half Zimbabwean, found herself in the midst of a casting controversy after being selected for the lead role in the film production of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s Half of a Yellow Sun. Many people took issue with Newton not being Igbo enough for the film version of the book, which chronicles the lives of several characters during the course of the Biafran War that took place in Nigeria from 1967 to 1970. There is even a petition to protest the casting, claiming that “Igbo people, like any other people range in physical characteristics as well as complexion. However, the majority of Igbos are dark brown in complexion. Igbo people do not look like the bi-racial Thandie Newton. Newton is an accomplished and talented actress in her own right. However, she is not Igbo, she is not Nigerian, and she does not physically resemble Igbo women in the slightest.”

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Wood Harris says they're better too and explains why...(TIME STAMPED)

^^^ he worked with Idris for years but i guess he doesn't know WTF he's talking about either :russ:

WheatThins

All Star
Daps

well samuel played a big role in the upstart of spike's career

not sure how you logically lend credence to one without the other, esp since spike is speak from a director's perspective and samuel is speaking from an actor

spike's movies also got a lot more traction, and were honestly better when he was using aa actors sooo......

^^^ he worked with Idris for years but i guess he doesn't know WTF he's talking about either :russ:

value wood harris' opinion over samuel l jackson brehs

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
well samuel played a big role in the upstart of spike's career

you're so wrong it's embarrassing. literally embarrassing.

"She's gotta have it" put spike on the map

people lined up around the block to see that movie, he was the talk of all of hollywood around that time, nobody even knew who sam jackson was back then

we're in the age of information, please feel free to look all this up :hubie:

parallax

Superstar
Daps

he worked with idris. but he cant speak for all of britains talent, in the same way that saying brits are better than americans cant speak for all americans

WheatThins

All Star
Daps
you're so wrong it's embarrassing. literally embarrassing.

"She's gotta have it" put spike on the map

people lined up around the block to see that movie, he was the talk of all of hollywood around that time, nobody even knew who sam jackson was back then

we're in the age of information, please feel free to look all this up :hubie:
no shyt sherlock (im a filmmaker who was trained at an hbcu so i know alllllllllll about spike even back to his work before she's gotta have it) but his commercial success came largely with samuel l.

i also dont think his or wood harris's position discounts the way samuel feels about the industry. none of these videos or quotes also support your assertion that black actors are only good for comedy and short form

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN

I appreciate his sentiment and I like Wood Harris, but some of what he's saying isn't true.

Most of us don't know shyt about Shakespeare and black kids are NEVER taught anything about their ancient or even recent contributions to europe.

I don't remember ever being taught how we taught the ancient europeans how to bathe, math and science etc. All that shyt they never teach black folks. Black people here will have the same inferiority complex as AAs, the only difference with AAs is that they at least teach you some stuff post slavery in schools (even if it's only the stuff they feel comfortable letting you know) liek the civil rights movement whereas over here most black kids don't know shyt even about their most recent history.

If it wasn't taught to them by other black people, most black children couldn't even tell you about the Brixton uprisings in 1981 that helped facilitate changes in the law. They may know about Stephen Lawrence and what his parents did to change the system, but if you ask them about the Windrush, the Sus Laws, who Frank Critchlow was etc they wouldn't have a clue.

But yeah, if it wasn't for black people europe would be a pile of shyt - literally.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
value wood harris' opinion over samuel l jackson brehs

he worked with idris. but he cant speak for all of britains talent, in the same way that saying brits are better than americans cant speak for all americans

both of you responded too quick to lie and say you actually listened to his explanation

but he says exactly what i said:
- they were BORN with shakespeare.
- theater is in their blood.
- they approach acting with a depth that black american actors don't

find people in hollywood that disagree with this....the internet is all yours :manny:

no shyt sherlock (im a filmmaker who was trained at an hbcu so i know alllllllllll about spike even back to his work before she's gotta have it) but his commercial success came largely with samuel l.

i also dont think his or wood harris's position discounts the way samuel feels about the industry. none of these videos or quotes also support your assertion that black actors are only good for comedy and short form

:what:first of all, samuel jackson credits DIE HARD 3 with him becoming a "star", he himself said this. Sam Jackson was the jheri curl dude at KFC in School Daze, you're just making shyt up as you go

and as it stands right now you've discredited Wood Harris and Spike Lee on this subject, and you won't even TOUCH the fact that black american directors cast these black brits to play american characters over and over again

WheatThins

All Star
Daps
both of you responded too quick to lie and say you actually listened to his explanation
you hurt breh. clocking internet connections and shyt. :mjlol:

being born in the same country as shakespeare does not make you a better actor, sorry. everything else is rhetoric that makes good conversation fodder for white supremacy (bc great storytellers dont exist outside of shakespeare obviously, huh?) :mjpls: but that has no factual basis

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Nope, I'm not "insecure as fukk" about anything at all dude. Your ill informed cousins are, just like ill informed AAs who shyt on Nigerians and other non AAs. I know who I am. You don't know me, just like how you don't know a fraction of the black UK population to come to the conclusion you have.
Who called you a c00n? :heh:

When did you decide to make this about you?

By proximity alone. Black U.K. folks know just as much about white American radium and how it's used than blacks raised here?

The only ability you've displayed is salt.m and butt hurt.

Who said c00n besides you in our discussion?

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps

find people in hollywood that disagree with this....the internet is all yours :manny:

:what:first of all, samuel jackson credits DIE HARD 3 with him becoming a "star", he himself said this. Sam Jackson was the jheri curl dude at KFC in School Daze, you're just making shyt up as you go

and as it stands right now you've discredited Wood Harris and Spike Lee on this subject, and you won't even TOUCH the fact that black american directors cast these black brits to play american characters over and over again
Did you really post Born with Shakespeare in their blood? :dahell:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
you hurt breh. clocking internet connections and shyt.

being born in the same country as shakespeare does not make you a better actor, sorry. everything else is rhetoric that makes good conversation fodder for white supremacy (bc great storytellers dont exist outside of shakespeare obviously, huh?)

so if you saw Spike lee in person you would tell me that he espouses white supremacy rhetoric? how about you run into him at the colin kaepernick NFL protest and tell him that :stopitslime:

it's become clear at this point that you're more interested in winning an argument online than engaging in a real discussion...go ahead and get the last word in fam, i'm bowing out.

Last edited: