Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
Most American actors nowadays get acting gigs out of luck, money or stupid shyt like Youtube videos.

Most International actors train for years at schools and craft their skills with plays. Look at 13 Reasons Why, they pulled ole girl from Australia based off of an Skype audition and now she's the lead

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Ask yourself, what's the likelihood of any American casting director hiring only or a majority of foreign born actors? I say probably close to 0%.
White american actors have complained about being ignored for brits as well, it seems the circle of casting directors for big budget films in HOllywood are heavy anglophiles.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Most American actors nowadays get acting gigs out of luck, money or stupid shyt like Youtube videos.

Most International actors train for years at schools and craft their skills with plays. Look at 13 Reasons Why, they pulled ole girl from Australia based off of an Skype audition and now she's the lead
No most american actors aren't getting gigs off being lucky. A great deal of actors study their craft and work just like the UK.
Where do you get this mindset that American (black and white) don't have an acting education infrastructure?

parallax

Superstar
Daps
No most american actors aren't getting gigs off being lucky. A great deal of actors study their craft and work just like the UK.
Where do you get this mindset that American (black and white) don't have an acting education infrastructure?

Some people in here have it in their heads that black brits are better actors than their American counterparts.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Concentrating on the actors themselves is the wrong tact IMO. Actors are just trying to work and get the best roles possible. I think what Sam is talking about is that their is an unfair perception Brit actors are better and have an unfair advantage. When he thinks they aren't, speaking generally of course. He is in the industry and definitely knows better than me. From the outside looking in I don't think foreign actors are better either, Idris Elba is great but so is Chadwick Boseman. I don't have a problem with Brits playing Americans but if that's an unfair trend talk about it with those who can actually do something about it. Just putting it out there is kinda dangerous, look at all the foreign vs domestic Black man talk this topic is bringing about. It's really not cool, we need to at least project unity IMO.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From what I've read UK actors typically pick up and move to LA for more opportunity, especially the black ones, they aren't shipped over they move over, but that has nothing to do with the post you are replying to.

I've been the to carribbean, Jamaica, Bahamas, St. Lucia, and Antiqua. What does that have to do with speaking on things in the US though, it makes no sense for you to tell an american they have to go overseas to talk about how things are in the US, you know our actual country.

I noticed you still haven't actually addressed anything I said about securing local production companies in the UK and making their own industry, like the Jews did in the US with Hollywood, like Tyler Perry did with those terrible plays and monetizing them into movies as well. If you are content to simply want to leach off white brit infrastructure, leach off white american infrastructure, and complain when black americans building their own and being mainly afram centric, it seems you are arguing for a position to always be begging. Like I said black brits have access to the their own underserved market that is begging for material and to see their own faces, they have to take advantage of that, on top of that, they also have a market of the english speaking world of blacks, which would include the carribean, canada, and the US. No black american is going to attack black brits for making their own content, and like I said if anything you might see cooperation in pushing and buying content because we are valuable to each other.

from what you've read? I actually know actors, and this is what happens.... they get told by agent they have audition, they go to usa and audition, come back to uk if they get the role they're then flown out to usa and given accom. they're not pitching up in la, some do during pilot season but most don't.

you haven't been to or lived in uk so you're not qualified to speak on how easy it is to start a version of Hollywood in uk. you're talking about an island you have no idea about.

you can't compare usa with uk. usa has a massive AA culture, infact AA somewhat dominates American culture, its the leading culture in usa. even racists will listen to black musicians they like. uk isn't the same. once again like I said you know nothing about uk you're not qualified to speak on this. like I said no uk black people are begging, its the movie studios begging for black brits.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
White american actors have complained about being ignored for brits as well, it seems the circle of casting directors for big budget films in HOllywood are heavy anglophiles.
Is it real tho, statistically speaking? Yes, foreign actors are getting more work here but I don't think it's gotten to the point Americans are getting pushed out or are now the minority.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
from what you've read? I actually know actors, and this is what happens.... they get told by agent they have audition, they go to usa and audition, come back to uk if they get the role they're then flown out to usa and given accom. they're not pitching up in la, some do during pilot season but most don't.

you haven't been to or lived in uk so you're not qualified to speak on how easy it is to start a version of Hollywood in uk. you're talking about an island you have no idea about.

you can't compare usa with uk. usa has a massive AA culture, infact AA somewhat dominates American culture, its the leading culture in usa. even racists will listen to black musicians they like. uk isn't the same. once again like I said you know nothing about uk you're not qualified to speak on this. like I said no uk black people are begging, its the movie studios begging for black brits.
Yes from what I've read from Chewitel, Elba, and other black brits, they have all said repeatedly there is more opportunity for roles in the US than there is for them domestically. You know actors and you confirmed what I wrote, they fly out to audition in the US more so than the US.

I don't have to live in the UK to know 1 +1 = 2. LIke I said there is a market and a talent pool locally looking for work, you have that, the real issue would be who are you going to sell your product to, and seeing that I see black brits like black americans documenting and complaining about lack of proper representation, its known you have a market ready to consume what you produce. So what am I missing.

Again you are cmoplaining and giving excuses why you don't want to do anything, instead of telling me I"m wrong about the facts on the ground and that there is a market, there are actors and directors and writers, the only tough part is material and distribution, but thanks to the internet distribution is easier than it has ever been.

parallax

Superstar
Daps

nothing worth having is easy, but why isnt anyone trying? why are they just letting what is the norm with black actors continue?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Is it real tho, statistically speaking? Yes, foreign actors are getting more work here but I don't think it's gotten to the point Americans are getting pushed out or are now the minority.
I just found this article from 2015 says a 400% increase in british acting visas.
US rallies to stop British actors taking Hollywood movies by storm

You have c00ns like Spike Lee lying about black actors not being trained, when this has been repeatedly debunked, and they say the same for Americans who are white. They try to claim its not price related, which I think it is, but try to say Hugh Laurie's salary on his last contract of House disproves that when it doesn't do so at all and its tv, not film.

Why are so many US TV shows signing up British stars? Because they're cheaper - and more talented | Daily Mail Online
earlier article confirms brits are cheapr than americans on tv that is, I"m sure its the same for film

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I just found this article from 2015 says a 400% increase in british acting visas.
US rallies to stop British actors taking Hollywood movies by storm

You have c00ns like Spike Lee lying about black actors not being trained, when this has been repeatedly debunked, and they say the same for Americans who are white. They try to claim its not price related, which I think it is, but try to say Hugh Laurie's salary on his last contract of House disproves that when it doesn't do so at all and its tv, not film.

Why are so many US TV shows signing up British stars? Because they're cheaper - and more talented | Daily Mail Online
earlier article confirms brits are cheapr than americans on tv that is, I"m sure its the same for film
Well damn, and speaking SAG wise that's weak! The union shouldn't allow these foreigners to take less which drives everyone's salary down. They need to negotiate that next contract.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes from what I've read from Chewitel, Elba, and other black brits, they have all said repeatedly there is more opportunity for roles in the US than there is for them domestically. You know actors and you confirmed what I wrote, they fly out to audition in the US more so than the US.

I don't have to live in the UK to know 1 +1 = 2. LIke I said there is a market and a talent pool locally looking for work, you have that, the real issue would be who are you going to sell your product to, and seeing that I see black brits like black americans documenting and complaining about lack of proper representation, its known you have a market ready to consume what you produce. So what am I missing.

Again you are cmoplaining and giving excuses why you don't want to do anything, instead of telling me I"m wrong about the facts on the ground and that there is a market, there are actors and directors and writers, the only tough part is material and distribution, but thanks to the internet distribution is easier than it has ever been.
yeah, you kind of have to live somewhere to speak on it. problem a lot of americans do because most of you don't own passports, is watch the news and read the media and then think you're informed. black brits are not like black americans, and this is why I say you need to live in England, most black americans have 100's of years of foundation in usa. black English people do not, and to top that of black people in uk are fragmented, some originate from Jamaica, some from Barbados, some from brasil, some from Nigeria etc, so there isn't one big umbrella like there is in usa. people are distributing on the net right now, even to Netflix, but to hit big you need global theatre launches and no uk distribution is investing in black people

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Well damn, and speaking SAG wise that's weak! The union shouldn't allow these foreigners to take less which drives everyone's salary down. They need to negotiate that next contract.
Black actors shouldn't fukk with SAG at all IMHO, they need to get on the low price train. Its obvious the union doesn't give a damn about them.