Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
this isn't your opinion, it's a fact.

black people think doing church plays or "Fences" 100 times in college is the same as being a trained theater actor and it's not

laurence fishburne played the FILM version of othello - you think those young dudes on EMPIRE can do that? :stopitslime:

in fact, they probably think it's unnecessary seeing as they are working actors getting paid millions of dollars, and they're not wrong :hubie:

but when film studios are ready to do meaningful serious projects, they ain't calling these 1 dimensional non- acting ass nikkas

Laurence Fishbourne is a respect stage actor as well, having earned a Tony award for his stage work.
Denzel Washington also earned Tony for his work on stage, classically trained at Fordham.
You put down the cast of Empire, yet
Taraji P Henson is classically trained from Howard University
Trai Byers is classically trained from Yale
Grace Byers is classically trained in theater, from USF and got a masters from UC, Irvine

Its so strange how some of you want to go out of your way to put down black american actors as if there isn't a vast base of classically trained actors in this country looking for opportunity. LIke the UK is the only place capable of training actors.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No Culture is everything. (white)Americans and Russians still hate each other. Culture/Ethnic groupings are most important, they provides the optics in which a persons sees life and their environment. If you don't understand that then it probably means you don't have an identifiable culture.
this is nonsense, its called research, most English actors also live in America so absorb the culture. not to mention American black culture is very global.

that's like saying GRAND THEFT AUTO shouldn't be made, seeing as its made in Britain about LA, NEW YORK and MIAMI

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But there are different types of racism.:mindblown:

The relationship between blacks and whites are not the same everywhere in the world.

And the movie was CLEARLY about the racism in America. That's why I don't have an issue with what Sam said. However I get why Idris wouldn't like the comments
what countries have you visited?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
because theres not a market for it,
black people are only 3% of uk.
theres also very few black people in uk to finance or fund it.
just not possible within uk.
UK blacks, like UK whites have access to a wider market than just the UK, you have the carribean, the US, other european markets with black populace, and etc. So saying the percentage of population in the UK means nothing.
You don't need 1 or a few mega rich people, you can generate funds with small amounts of money from the population as a whole and from outside people as well.
It most certainly is possible, if you want to do so, if you don't want to do it, you can find an excuse why to never do anything but beg.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
He has a point, this weird love affair with English actors is creeptastic. As if they deliver anything different than American actors. Some of the biggest actors/movie stars are born in America. He's wrong about the particulars, in Get Out, its far more narrative driven than actor based. Sure while a good actor is required, you're made to fee just as uneasy as the main character does, due to setting and supporting characters. Plus just because people are dating outside their race, doesn't mean there isn't racism in England.

Sam was off base there, he clearly hasn't been to England much, or hasn't done the research, there's all types of racism everywhere.

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
And my comment was I doubt it will be effective. And now people might think there is a rift between AA and Black English actors. That's not the results he is looking for I'm sure.

And I disagree.. I think it would be highly effective. The moment he calls someone out, specifically is the moment people know where to look. And in a country like the US, people will be eager to find smoke and point out the fire. Especially if it's not just a black thing.

And IF what he says is in fact true, they'll be forced to either change their practices, or be called out on it when it's proven.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
And I disagree.. I think it would be highly effective. The moment he calls someone out, specifically is the moment people know where to look. And in a country like the US, people will be eager to find smoke and point out the fire. Especially if it's not just a black thing.

And IF what he says is in fact true, they'll be forced to either change their practices, or be called out on it when it's proven.
Ask yourself, what's the likelihood of any American casting director hiring only or a majority of foreign born actors? I say probably close to 0%.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
As an African raised in the U.S., I agree with Sam.

the naivety of most British and African Born blacks on racism here is very stark. British actors are willing to take smaller pay outs than Black american actors and worst of all, they are weaponized against African American actors to say "they have a chip on their shoulder."

I'm not mad at same at all.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
UK blacks, like UK whites have access to a wider market than just the UK, you have the carribean, the US, other european markets with black populace, and etc. So saying the percentage of population in the UK means nothing.
You don't need 1 or a few mega rich people, you can generate funds with small amounts of money from the population as a whole and from outside people as well.
It most certainly is possible, if you want to do so, if you don't want to do it, you can find an excuse why to never do anything but beg.
whos begging? uk actors are not begging, they're being begged to go to usa and out perform American actors and get more roles per ratio.

have you been to uk or carribbean? problem a lot of americans have is they speak on how things are in countries yet most AA don't even leave the continent of America,

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As an African raised in the U.S., I agree with Sam.

the naivety of most British and African Born blacks on racism here is very stark. British actors are willing to take smaller pay outs than Black american actors and worst of all, they are weaponized against African American actors to say "they have a chip on their shoulder."

I'm not mad at same at all.
if someone is black, why does it matter where they're from? black is black no?

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He has a point, this weird love affair with English actors is creeptastic. As if they deliver anything different than American actors. Some of the biggest actors/movie stars are born in America. He's wrong about the particulars, in Get Out, its far more narrative driven than actor based. Sure while a good actor is required, you're made to fee just as uneasy as the main character does, due to setting and supporting characters. Plus just because people are dating outside their race, doesn't mean there isn't racism in England.

Sam was off base there, he clearly hasn't been to England much, or hasn't done the research, there's all types of racism everywhere.
the odd thing is Samuel goes to England very often, and has friends there.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
whos begging? uk actors are not begging, they're being begged to go to usa and out perform American actors and get more roles per ratio.

have you been to uk or carribbean? problem a lot of americans have is they speak on how things are in countries yet most AA don't even leave the continent of America,
From what I've read UK actors typically pick up and move to LA for more opportunity, especially the black ones, they aren't shipped over they move over, but that has nothing to do with the post you are replying to.

I've been the to carribbean, Jamaica, Bahamas, St. Lucia, and Antiqua. What does that have to do with speaking on things in the US though, it makes no sense for you to tell an american they have to go overseas to talk about how things are in the US, you know our actual country.

I noticed you still haven't actually addressed anything I said about securing local production companies in the UK and making their own industry, like the Jews did in the US with Hollywood, like Tyler Perry did with those terrible plays and monetizing them into movies as well. If you are content to simply want to leach off white brit infrastructure, leach off white american infrastructure, and complain when black americans building their own and being mainly afram centric, it seems you are arguing for a position to always be begging. Like I said black brits have access to the their own underserved market that is begging for material and to see their own faces, they have to take advantage of that, on top of that, they also have a market of the english speaking world of blacks, which would include the carribean, canada, and the US. No black american is going to attack black brits for making their own content, and like I said if anything you might see cooperation in pushing and buying content because we are valuable to each other.