Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
I don't agree with that either, but what is there for you to roll over on? If an actor gets a roll on merit what is there for you to complain about. This Kaluuya came off having been in an academy nominated film and made a name for himself in Hollywood. shyt he was doing before is trash, so it's not like they put British actors on a pedestal.

There is nothing for me to own up to, I feel for you
pause.png
if you think that every race in the world don't like you, including your own.

All skinfolk ain't kinfolk is a saying for a reason :yeshrug:

You have 'role' confused with 'roll...' I was saying roll over as in the verb... as in we're supposed to just shut up. Not 'role' as in a part.

And I have nothing against Kaluuya, he did his thing... but that still doesn't negate Sam Jack's point. And we have no idea what type of nuance a Black American actor *might* have brought to the role as an American.

Also I edited that post to add more on at the end in case you missed it... everybody thinks they're an expert on BA culture but global oppression works in different ways.

It's literally the reverse of this? The entire point of Samuel Jackson is that Black Americans are passed over in our own country in favor of non-Americans aka we are the ones being treated like second class citizens? Just look at the last person I quoted, they basically said Black americans are fine for vh1 and bullshyt comedies but that we are all vine stars and instagrammers unsuitable for serious roles.

And we're supposed to just roll over and play nice in the name of 'not being divisive?' Nah drop the act like you even give a fukk about us BRO. Y'all think we're second class citizens just like everybody else. I'd respect you more if you just owned it.

And literally no one has said Black people outside of the US don't experience those things, y'all always jump to that so you can deflect from the way you look down your nose on Black Americans. Y'all whole argument is on some 'Black Brits are just naturally better than Black americans :manny: but don't talk about it because you're being divisive' shyt.

EDIT: And I wouldn't go to Europe and tell Black Brits about the specific issues THEY FACE in terms of interracial dating or police brutality. I'm sure it's a different experience than what happens here in the US, and that's fine. But y'all think you can come over here and tell us about being Black americans and to that I say nah :ufdup:

Daps
Reppin
Oakland
No its an African way of thinking, its communal, it understands that it takes more than one for us to survive, and its still very apparent in places like London where Africans are the minority in a foreign country, it might not actually work on the continent but it does in the diaspora.

It's NOT an African way of thinking. It's an African Diaspora - mainly African American/Afro-European way of thinking.

Africa is drowning in Petty Tribalism

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No they aren't, and thats with regard for all americans, not just black americans.
There are a hundreds and thousands of classically trained actors coming out the US every year, and they have to battle the stigma of being undertrained. This is doubly so for black actors.

I'll give you an example,
Steve Harris - from the Practice (Eugene) and a few Tyler Perry movies is a classically trained actor
his brother
Wood Harris - Avon from the Wire, the uncle from the New Edition movie that people have been shytting on, is a classically trained actor with a Masters degree in the field.
Angela Basset is classically trained from Yale
David Allen Grier classically trained from Yale
Courtney B Vance classically trained from Yale
Keith David - classically trained from Julliard
Viola Davis trained from Julliard
Corey Hawkings - dre in Straight out of compton is julliard trained as well.
Rutina Wesley and Nelsan Ellis - two main blacks in true blood are julliard trained
the first aunt viv is julliard trained as well.

But do you associate the roles they get from being classically trained? No. Why? They don't get the opportunity and they are cast aside as being "black" actors.
Think about this shyt before you just go repeating things.

people didnt like Wood Harris performance? I think hes a great actor and was happy to see him, and thought he was great in the new edition story.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
people didnt like Wood Harris performance? I think hes a great actor and was happy to see him, and thought he was great in the new edition story.
Nah you had people on this thread shytting on the black actors in the New Edition series as being actors "black people" like and not "real actors" and I'm just letting that poster and posters with that mindset know, a great deal of the black actors you see on tv are classically trained.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
12 years a slave played by an American

:usure:

Listen, it's not just the amount, but the types of movies as well.... Blacks already have limited opportunities as it is, but if half of the most critically acclaimed, or big profit making movies are going to have black Brit leads, then there will be a problem...

12 years a slave, Selma(Had MLK played by an englishmen and it came off stiff) Get Out(should've been casted with an American black) Star Wars, hell, they even got a black Brit starring in Loraine Hansberry's joint on broadway.... they didn't even give an American sister the opportunity to play a crackhead in moonlighting..... they went and got a London sister even to do that...... :laugh:

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This doesn't make much sense. To compare India and Blacks is apples and oranges. For one India is a homogenized COUNTRY that practices nationalism. There is no Black Country where all Black people originate. The Ghanaian Diaspora operates it similar fashion as the Indian diaspora. Some breh from Pakistan cant go to Indians and say "well we all southwest Asians so..."
All Ghanaians are family, I as a Liberian cannot self impose myself and expect familial-like treatment in that group. Pan-Africanian is not a thing, sorry to break it to you but it doesn't make since from a non-American point of view. That's what a lot of y'all don't understand, the "we all African" mantra is really a Eurocentric/ American Point of View and way of thinking.

breh we are all black.

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
but it's not a "worthless degree" or "getting a white man to cosign" ... you are literally getting a degree IN YOUR FIELD OF EMPLOYMENT

lets quit with the dumb shyt for a second.. if you are going for an IT job and you have a degree and another guy has a masters and the third guy didn't graduate high school... we all know exactly who is going to get the job 9 out of 10 times... the 1 guy who does get the job without ANY school, is because he went high and above the other two with his skills... probably said fukk school and was some computer genius at home, who just blew everyone's mind

well this goes over for acting as well. every rapper can't get an acting job.. but if you blow the shyt out the water with no school, like a will smith, you can make it. but there ain't 25 raekwons in hollywood, given roles of nasa directors, cause they don't have the resume or skills to do it

if this was ONLY black actors, we'd have something here. but no.. you can turn on most current movies and tv shows, and it's some british WHITE GUY, playing the role of an american white guy. we just had a british batman for god sakes... the main character of the highest rated show on tv (walking dead) is austrailian.. the new star wars movie is top 3 movie of all time.. black guy is british but plays without his accent.. avatar is top all time... white guy is austrailian, playing an american... superman is british now... spiderman is british

it ain't about race... they simply think being classically trained is better than not having that training... of course they COULD be wrong.. which is why they bring them in and make them audition for the part.

y'all really think they putting BILLIONS into movies, then say "you know this other guy is fukking amazing, but lets not put him in the movie that we need to make money on, because we need this other guy who is worse, because he's classically trained"

English, but I get your point

Well said

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
Sam should just step to the casting director he thinks do this privately. Just pondering the question in public isn't helping anyone, especially American born Black actors.

Nah... he shouldn't do it privately. He should call him/them out publicly. That's the only way it'll make a real difference. That way they'll be put under a microscooe going forward. Put his career on the line if he's really down for change.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
They both have a point imo

I think what Sam said shouldn't have been said to white media but for some reason, white media is going with them for a lot of major roles.

I personally don't mind but they seem to give a lot of roles to british or foreign actors. Sam just wanted to know why

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I get what you are saying. Our "own" Hollywood would circumvent any begging for crumbs/ lack or resources. In other words less bitterness. However, I don't think it would work. A Black Hollywood would be very AfrAm-centric, especially if located in America. If AA want their own Hollywood go for it, just don't market it as Black, as if it's inclusive which we know that isn't really possible , considering human behavior.
Black americans do need our own hollywood.
From that we might be able to help black brits develop their own hollywood in the UK and work together in co-productions for big films like the white studios do.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Black americans do need our own hollywood.
From that we might be able to help black brits develop their own hollywood in the UK and work together in co-productions for big films like the white studios do.
there will never be a black version of hollywood in the uk

for the most part out of the 3 countries in the uk majority of actors come from england,

and then for the most part those englih actors come from london

london is a little city on an island

noway that'd happen