Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

doublex

Pro
Daps
but it's not a "worthless degree" or "getting a white man to cosign" ... you are literally getting a degree IN YOUR FIELD OF EMPLOYMENT

lets quit with the dumb shyt for a second.. if you are going for an IT job and you have a degree and another guy has a masters and the third guy didn't graduate high school... we all know exactly who is going to get the job 9 out of 10 times... the 1 guy who does get the job without ANY school, is because he went high and above the other two with his skills... probably said fukk school and was some computer genius at home, who just blew everyone's mind

well this goes over for acting as well. every rapper can't get an acting job.. but if you blow the shyt out the water with no school, like a will smith, you can make it. but there ain't 25 raekwons in hollywood, given roles of nasa directors, cause they don't have the resume or skills to do it

if this was ONLY black actors, we'd have something here. but no.. you can turn on most current movies and tv shows, and it's some british WHITE GUY, playing the role of an american white guy. we just had a british batman for god sakes... the main character of the highest rated show on tv (walking dead) is austrailian.. the new star wars movie is top 3 movie of all time.. black guy is british but plays without his accent.. avatar is top all time... white guy is austrailian, playing an american... superman is british now... spiderman is british

it ain't about race... they simply think being classically trained is better than not having that training... of course they COULD be wrong.. which is why they bring them in and make them audition for the part.

y'all really think they putting BILLIONS into movies, then say "you know this other guy is fukking amazing, but lets not put him in the movie that we need to make money on, because we need this other guy who is worse, because he's classically trained"

This is exactly it. Classically trained actors are in vogue, Brits are more likely to be classically trained.

Reasonable suggestions to help Black Americans get a leg up:

1) Classical training for Black American actors
2) More Black movies/roles PERIOD so that there are enough parts to go around

Unreasonable suggestion:
1) An actor can only use their real accent when playing a character. :comeon:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
lol no one has ever said british accent and thinking of scotland or wales. ever lol

You mean they refer to the lower clip? Cause that's English and the upper is a Welsh dude.

There's a wide variety of British accents, wide variety of English, Scottish and Welsh and on. The more you know, the more specific you are. If you are from the UK you'll have a very granular description. If you know little and keep it macro, you might say British. However, most people I know at least, can single out Scottish accents.

I'm not going to argue anymore, do your googles instead.

Last edited:

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
The lack of parts for Black actors is about race... but the preference for British actors over American ones is not. It's intersectionality.

The only reason there's more acrimony over it among blacks than whites is BECAUSE we have to fight harder for less to begin with.

I agree with this to an extent. 'Black American' specifically has some racial baggage to it tho

Budda

Superstar
Daps
nikkas love talkin that "black is black" shyt when african americans start slappin nikkas hands away from the dinner plate :mjgrin:

fukk that dinner plate, everything in this world one man needs is in Africa.

~Fake ass khaled muhammed dp having mofo, negging me for promoting Pan Africanism.

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
So because of the way black people are treated in America. Some black Americans want to treat other black people like a different class? You think only black Americans experience institutionalised racism, police brutality? Or in case of this film interracial dating issues. Nah drop the though act bro.

It's literally the reverse of this? The entire point of Samuel Jackson is that Black Americans are passed over in our own country in favor of non-Americans aka we are the ones being treated like second class citizens? Just look at the last person I quoted, they basically said Black americans are fine for vh1 and bullshyt comedies but that we are all vine stars and instagrammers unsuitable for serious roles.

clearly they are doing this for a reason; again when you want to make VH1 movies or "Almost christmas 2" - you call a few rappers and comedians and get your $$$

but for serious dramas and epic art pieces, you gotta call the big guns, not instagram and vine stars :francis:

And we're supposed to just roll over and play nice in the name of 'not being divisive?' Nah drop the act like you even give a fukk about us BRO. Y'all think we're second class citizens just like everybody else. I'd respect you more if you just owned it.

And literally no one has said Black people outside of the US don't experience those things, y'all always jump to that so you can deflect from the way you look down your nose on Black Americans. Y'all whole argument is on some 'Black Brits are just naturally better than Black americans :manny: but don't talk about it because you're being divisive' shyt.

EDIT: And I wouldn't go to Europe and tell Black Brits about the specific issues THEY FACE in terms of interracial dating or police brutality. I'm sure it's a different experience than what happens here in the US, and that's fine. But y'all think you can come over here and tell us about being Black americans and to that I say nah :ufdup:

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
But it is about race.... especially if you're playing a part that uses the unique perspective of an African American..... and collectively speaking, there are countless white actors in roles, and the non American ones account for a much smaller percentage as opposed to black actors...
They are acting breh. Ain't no unique experience in acting cause you acting like a totally other person. You could be a space man, a dude from the year 4837, a junkie, a rich man, a rapist, a superhero. You're acting

I mean really. How many black British people are getting these roles?

You got the get out breh. Which was one damn movie. the Star Wars kid. Who was not playing someone from earth, let alone America. And idris, who is playing someone from another dimension.

Now name some more.... we'll wait.

On the other hand we got LEGIONS of brothers here doing work. Black panther movie filled with Americans, falcon was American, 12 years a slave played by an American, straight out of Compton all Americans, nat turner movie, American.. bokeem woodbine playing a villain in the same Spider-Man that an aussie is playing a white boy from nyc. Sam was just in Django. Jamie foxx. American. All eyez on me. Americans.

I could go on and on. Y'all worried about 3 nikkas for real. Again. Start naming all the great roles going to British black men and I'll name 5 going to American black men for every one you do

Y'all keep bringing up the wire cause of one guy when the other 99% of black roles was filled by American black men

Daps
Reppin
Oakland
fukk that dinner plate, everything in this world one man needs is in Africa.

~Fake ass khaled muhammed dp having mofo, negging me for promoting Pan Africanism.

When Africa does something for African Americans, i'll start to promote pan africanism (AGAIN).

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
This is exactly it. Classically trained actors are in vogue, Brits are more likely to be classically trained.

Unreasonable suggestion:
Exactly. Nobody complaining about peter dinklage and his european accent when the dude is American

Black panther is a fukking nikka from South Carolina playing an African king. Alongside Michael b jordan. Roots is a bunch of African slaves, fresh off the boat, played by Americans.

Where was the "but how will an American know what's its like on a slave ship" cries then

Slam

Pro
Daps
It's literally the reverse of this? The entire point of Samuel Jackson is that Black Americans are passed over in our own country in favor of non-Americans aka we are the ones being treated like second class citizens? Just look at the last person I quoted, they basically said Black americans are fine for vh1 and bullshyt comedies but that we are all vine stars and instagrammers unsuitable for serious roles. And we're supposed to just roll over and play nice in the name of 'not being divisive?' Nah drop the act like you even give a fukk about us BRO. Y'all think we're second class citizens just like everybody else. I'd respect you more if you just owned it.

I don't agree with that either, but what is there for you to roll over on? If an actor gets a role on merit what is there for you to complain about. This Kaluuya came off having been in an academy nominated film and made a name for himself in Hollywood. shyt he was doing before is trash, so it's not like they put British actors on a pedestal.

There is nothing for me to own up to, I feel for you
pause.png
if you think that every race in the world don't like you, including your own.

Last edited:

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
British actors take all of the American acting jobs, even the comic book ones. White actors play Americans all the time.

I think Dule Hill or Omar Epps would've killed it in Get Out....
Epps is to old to play the character in get out.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Whoa hold up. Sam didn't say or even hint at this.

But the racism that AAs face and other members of the Diaspora face is very different. So if you're doing a story about racism IN AMERICA you should probably try to get an AA in the lead role.

And I say this as a Jamaican

No he didn't say it but that's the implication. The implication being that someone like Idris couldn't play a black man who's dealt with racism. That's silly. Get out wasn't about American racism but was about a particular type of liberal racism that isn't native to our shores as Brexit illustrated

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps

Unreasonable suggestion:

No they aren't, and thats with regard for all americans, not just black americans.
There are a hundreds and thousands of classically trained actors coming out the US every year, and they have to battle the stigma of being undertrained. This is doubly so for black actors.

I'll give you an example,
Steve Harris - from the Practice (Eugene) and a few Tyler Perry movies is a classically trained actor
his brother
Wood Harris - Avon from the Wire, the uncle from the New Edition movie that people have been shytting on, is a classically trained actor with a Masters degree in the field.
Angela Basset is classically trained from Yale
David Allen Grier classically trained from Yale
Courtney B Vance classically trained from Yale
Keith David - classically trained from Julliard
Viola Davis trained from Julliard
Corey Hawkings - dre in Straight out of compton is julliard trained as well.
Rutina Wesley and Nelsan Ellis - two main blacks in true blood are julliard trained
the first aunt viv is julliard trained as well.

But do you associate the roles they get from being classically trained? No. Why? They don't get the opportunity and they are cast aside as being "black" actors.
Think about this shyt before you just go repeating things.

Budda

Superstar
Daps
When Africa does something for African Americans, i'll start to promote pan africanism (AGAIN).

This doesn't make much sense. To compare India and Blacks is apples and oranges. For one India is a homogenized COUNTRY that practices nationalism. There is no Black Country where all Black people originate. The Ghanaian Diaspora operates it similar fashion as the Indian diaspora. Some breh from Pakistan cant go to Indians and say "well we all southwest Asians so..."
All Ghanaians are family, I as a Liberian cannot self impose myself and expect familial-like treatment in that group. Pan-Africanian is not a thing, sorry to break it to you but it doesn't make since from a non-American point of view. That's what a lot of y'all don't understand, the "we all African" mantra is really a Eurocentric/ American Point of View and way of thinking.

No its an African way of thinking, its communal, it understands that it takes more than one for us to survive, and its still very apparent in places like London where Africans are the minority in a foreign country, it might not actually work on the continent but it does in the diaspora.

Daps
Reppin
Oakland
This doesn't make much sense. To compare India and Blacks is apples and oranges. For one India is a homogenized COUNTRY that practices nationalism. There is no Black Country where all Black people originate. The Ghanaian Diaspora operates it similar fashion as the Indian diaspora. Some breh from Pakistan cant go to Indians and say "well we all southwest Asians so..."
All Ghanaians are family, I as a Liberian cannot self impose myself and expect familial-like treatment in that group. Pan-Africanian is not a thing, sorry to break it to you but it doesn't make since from a non-American point of view. That's what a lot of y'all don't understand, the "we all African" mantra is really a Eurocentric/ American Point of View and way of thinking.

Pan-Africanism isn't a thing because Africans as a group are too dumb to make it a thing. That's why they're the weakest people on the richest continent.