Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There is, it's an umbrella term for the accents spoken in the UK. People in England don't even have the same accent.
Just like American accent is an umbrella term for the accents spoken in the US.
Under that umbrella you have Southern accent, people in VA, NM and FL do not have the same accent etc.
yes of course, but when people say british accent what they mean is english accent, no one likes scotish or welsh accents

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Just like with Drake and Toronto, I just think it's a trend to hire British actors right now. We live in a heavily copy-cat society.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
It me. And I bet you five dollars once you start it you'll watch the whole thing. I'll paypal you the money if I lose lol

this is you?
giphy.gif

either way, the one thing that crushes this womans argument is that BLACK AMERICAN directors are choosing these black British actors

clearly they are doing this for a reason; again when you want to make VH1 movies or "Almost christmas 2" - you call a few rappers and comedians and get your $$$

but for serious dramas and epic art pieces, you gotta call the big guns, not instagram and vine stars :francis:

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Agree with Dris on this one. I see where Sam is coming from but still think he's wrong if only for the reason Idris stated. Especially since he was commenting on homie in Get Out and I find it hard to believe anyone would have qualms with his performance or understanding what racism is or what it's like to be prejudiced. Sams statement also surmises because he or Idris are British they've never encountered racism in their lives and that's just asinine.

If the director thinks you're the best person for the job then cast that person.
Whoa hold up. Sam didn't say or even hint at this.

But the racism that AAs face and other members of the Diaspora face is very different. So if you're doing a story about racism IN AMERICA you should probably try to get an AA in the lead role.

And I say this as a Jamaican

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
they are.

but this is a complicated discussion to have because most black folks think Lance Gross or the cast of The New Edition story are Oscar worthy great actors JUST because they played in shyt they like

that ain't how it works...right now, chiwetel ejiofor, who is 40 - is arguably the best actor working in his age group, period. or at least in the top 5.

what black american actor is seeing him? same for david oyelowo. these are classically trained actors that when the big boys get ready to do huge projects, they're calling THEM first

and the fact that ava devurney and spike lee call on them says a lot. now, when they get ready to do a low budget tyler perry or VH1 tv series, they'll call black american actors all day long. :coffee:
Are great AA actors getting an opportunity though?

That's Sam's point and he would know

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
yes of course, but when people say british accent what they mean is english accent, no one likes scotish or welsh accents
Depends on context, if we are talking about which accents you like then sure. But England has a lot of different accents too, some are like the Queen's others you can't understand.

doublex

Pro
Daps
Sam Jackson was right though....

The problem is people were spinning it as him going at Black Brits, when in reality he was going on the casting directors and agencies in Hollywood. They have a tendency to just assume that black folks from the UK are better actors than Black Americans. To be fair they do the same thing with white actors, white actors from the UK and Australia get a lot of roles because they're perceived to be better actors by casting agents.

How many Black British characters do you see in movies? If Black British actors were restricted to only playing their own nationality, they would never eat. How is that fair?

I say nationality is not important. If they can act the part then let them act.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Depends on context, if we are talking about which accents you like then sure. But England has a lot of different accents too, some are like the Queen's others you can't understand.
lol no one has ever said british accent and thinking of scotland or wales. ever lol

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How many Black British characters do you see in movies? If Black British actors were restricted to only playing their own nationality, they would never eat. How is that fair?

I say nationality is not important. If they can act the part then let them act.
this is exactly it, nationality is just the country you were born, we are all black and we all originate from africa.

indians NEVER argue that an indian born in usa, or uk shouldnt play the role of an indian born in australia,
white people never argue that a white english person is playing the role of a white american

but here we are, black people dividing ourselves.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
He is hitting two things.
1) black american actors are looked down on and thought inferior. The man from The Knick talked about this and there was a thread here about that.
2) black englishmen are cheaper and undercut american pay.

1) First is potentially nationalist
2) is black americans need to adjust pay scale or start self financing.