Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Delroy Lindo is also British but has been in the states since he was a kid and has played AAs just fine.

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
well the people making the movies are not agreeing with you :yeshrug:

it's not rocket science here.. i don't make movies, i don't pay to finance them, i don't cast them, i don't have shyt to do with them.

at the end of the day, the directors, the producers, the studio owners are out here picking up classically trained actors by the boat loads and saying fukk americans... and they are fukking american

You know how Americans seem to think a British accent makes you sound smarter? I think something like that is going on, because i'm not convinced Brits are just better actors. I think it's some sort of liberal reverence for European origin, basically thinking they're better without much tangible evidence.

I happen to see a lot of underwhelming British actors, I think Sam Jackson has a point.

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You know how Americans seem to think a British accent makes you sound smarter? I think something like that is going on, because i'm not convinced Brits are just better actors. I think it's some sort of liberal reverence for European origin, basically thinking they're better without much tangible evidence.

I happen to see a lot of underwhelming British actors, I think Sam Jackson has a point.

Yes Americans love that fukking accent

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Sam is a real dude but just cause you are a real dude and successful/talented doesn't mean that sometimes you won't say stupid shyt. We all do.
I mean does he mean that you had to have lived through it? What if it's a black man raised in a liberal rich suburb with no problems with "interracial" dating? Since when does the UK not have racists too :dahell:. Obviously few western countries are as stone age as the US socially but no country is perfect. Can a black man who grew up rich, play a poor man? Can someone who had no dealings with the police, play police? A homo, a straight dude? The other way around? It's acting.

They have American accents when they are acting American though.

I really just think that they are better right now, just like they were better at rock in the 60s and early 70s.

It was pretty weird though that 12 years a Slave was directed by a British dude, the 4 main actors British too. That doesn't really matter though, it's an historic event.

Last edited:

RehReh

🖤GhettoEmpress🖤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
it is funny because my cousin was in Burning Sands, although born in Florida, he was raised here in the UK since 7, so he had to work so hard to regain an american accent. He also had a small role in Star Wars, and said if anything it put more pressure on him being seen as an overseas actor, he had to work harder as he had more to prove, that he can be 'convincing'

intresting

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No need for the ad hominem attacks.

Everyone is just pointing out the obvious bias.

AA should have built their version of hollywood ages ago.

Then people wouldn't need to complain about Foreign Blacks positioning themselves as 'safe alternatives'.
its not about them being safe, its that most english actors are better actors, trained in better acting schools, and can do accents, and also cheaper on average.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Practically the same thing.
Matter of fact youre wrong.
The English have an edge but cacs love the Irish and think the Scott's are cute.
hows it the same thing? most americans don't love scotish accents or welsh accents and both of those are british countries.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Agree with Dris on this one. I see where Sam is coming from but still think he's wrong if only for the reason Idris stated. Especially since he was commenting on homie in Get Out and I find it hard to believe anyone would have qualms with his performance or understanding what racism is or what it's like to be prejudiced. Sams statement also surmises because he or Idris are British they've never encountered racism in their lives and that's just asinine.

If the director thinks you're the best person for the job then cast that person.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
if this was ONLY black actors, we'd have something here. but no.. you can turn on most current movies and tv shows, and it's some british WHITE GUY, playing the role of an american white guy. we just had a british batman for god sakes... the main character of the highest rated show on tv (walking dead) is austrailian.. the new star wars movie is top 3 movie of all time.. black guy is british but plays without his accent.. avatar is top all time... white guy is austrailian, playing an american... superman is british now... spiderman is british

it ain't about race

But it is about race.... especially if you're playing a part that uses the unique perspective of an African American..... and collectively speaking, there are countless white actors in roles, and the non American ones account for a much smaller percentage as opposed to black actors...