Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
British actors are just better than American actors

they are.

but this is a complicated discussion to have because most black folks think Lance Gross or the cast of The New Edition story are Oscar worthy great actors JUST because they played in shyt they like

that ain't how it works...right now, chiwetel ejiofor, who is 40 - is arguably the best actor working in his age group, period. or at least in the top 5.

what black american actor is seeing him? same for david oyelowo. these are classically trained actors that when the big boys get ready to do huge projects, they're calling THEM first

and the fact that ava devurney and spike lee call on them says a lot. now, when they get ready to do a low budget tyler perry or VH1 tv series, they'll call black american actors all day long. :coffee:

Budda

Superstar
Daps
I feel this way about British/Aussie actors/actresses across the board. But it especially hits home in some of these stories pivotal to black american experiences or history being given to africans or brits. :manny:

Africans are the original blacks, ain't not story without them period, stfu.

Budda

Superstar
Daps
nope, but i think it's different and a different experience. i also don't think some of the people who are our heroes and mean a lot to us mean the same to you. there are plenty of black leaders/figures from other countries that i can know the story of but don't have the same emotional connection to because it's not my story.

all i'm saying is as an AA, i'd like to see AA's in the leading roles of the stories that are our history.

You have a bad grip on history, and you're even more stupid than i thought, no emotional connection to Marcus Gavrey but you have a connection to Malcolm X whos father was a Garvey supporter? Ok go and expose your grasp on black african concepts.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sam Jackson was right though....

The problem is people were spinning it as him going at Black Brits, when in reality he was going on the casting directors and agencies in Hollywood. They have a tendency to just assume that black folks from the UK are better actors than Black Americans. To be fair they do the same thing with white actors, white actors from the UK and Australia get a lot of roles because they're perceived to be better actors by casting agents.

tbh i understand the argument but at the same time its like, you see black americans play africans all the time. tribalism, especially in regards to black people, isn't the way to go because our foundation isn't solid. Like, where do we draw the line in regards to this specific matter then? only black americans should play black americans, only africans should be cast for african roles and only british black should be acting in british black roles? all this regardless of availability, skill level, salary demands, personality and fit for the project? do we just discard all these considerations?

never mind that as a people, though there are cultural differences, black people in the diaspora share a lot of similarities despite geographical location, so its not like the realities of these people are galaxies apart to the point they wouldn't be able to act out a role

at the same time, black americans are being left out of work directly related to their experience so it becomes an issue, i still feel the major problem is a need for more black work and projects, we should have our "own" hollywood, something that would sustain black actors, writers, directors etc from all over with diverse works not solely focusing on slavery, racism and its ripple effects.

Last edited:

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
The issue is they are getting all the roles and making it hard for real black Americans actors to get work.
I'm not talking about your comedian or rapper but a real actor

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
theres no such thing as a british accent

you think scotish accent and a english accent sound the same?
There is, it's an umbrella term for the accents spoken in the UK. People in England don't even have the same accent.
Just like American accent is an umbrella term for the accents spoken in the US.
Under that umbrella you have Southern accent, people in VA, NM and FL do not have the same accent etc.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The guy that starred in Get Out is basically 30. I'd be interested to know who auditioned for the role. In the end, it worked out, he did his thing in the movie and it was a hit. But you would lose your shyt if a they were going to cast a Black James Bond and Michael B. Jordan got the role over any Black british actor....
An American playing James Bond in a non parody would cause a big fuss.

Peak

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wouldn't say that...... we thought the B More accent was funny by the second season......
:beli: if you're going to get at idris for that then you need to get at the majority of the cast...nobody bar Snoop, D'Angelo, Prop Joe, Donut and occasionally Omar had an accent mirroring a Baltimore accent.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I totally see what Sam was saying in regards to the rapper comment. Like they can just plug rappers in a role, with no experience to replace the value of a certified black actor. I could see how a trained Black American actor like Samuel L could find that condescending.

And in regards to Samuel L's comments regarding Black Brit actors, he's right. They have Black Brit actors getting the roles of historic Black AA figures. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just the swiftness in which AA actors are getting passed up, because of a perception of their superiority to AA actors is where I can see how that would be bothersome up Samuel L.

I can see this

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hey Coli new member, former lurker here.
I'm wondering if coli brehs will feel the same when Black Panther comes out next year?! Like I understand they are actors but Michael B Jordan trying to be an AFRICAN SUPER VILLIAN don't mesh wit me.
:mjlol:

This is why i'm saying this wouldn't be an issue if we created our own hollywood rather than grovel to white cast directors and used tribalism as some sort of bargaining chip.

Its easier said than done but if we had our own movie industry, something that would sustain black actors, writers, directors etc from all over with diverse works not solely focusing on slavery, racism and its ripple effects, we would be able to cast black actors that are best fit for a role with these considerations in mind: availability, skill level, resume, salary demands, and personality. Rather than "are they african american, west indian, black british or african?". This is the reason this issue isn't as accentuated in white hollywood where white people from all over play roles from all over, there's a bunch of roles and stories to tell so they don't care. There's like 10 jobs for nikkas in a good year so now we arguing which type of nikkas should be playing which roles. At the same time, some of these stories portray the african american experience so not having lead african american actors is a problem.

If we adopted a system where only black americans should play black americans, only africans should be cast for african roles and only british black should be acting in british black roles, i guarantee you in a few years the issue would morph into "well, this is a story taking place in chicago, so it should be a chicago born and raised black actor to play it" because the main issue, which is lack of substantial black roles and stories, still wouldn't have been addressed.

We need our own hollywood