Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
because you have classical training doesnt mean youre better trained when it comes acting though. thats his point. just because a guy went to school for fixing houses doesnt mean hes any good at it. its like people that went to college but came away with worthless degrees

No it doesn't.... you placing them higher cause they have a white co-sign......
but it's not a "worthless degree" or "getting a white man to cosign" ... you are literally getting a degree IN YOUR FIELD OF EMPLOYMENT

lets quit with the dumb shyt for a second.. if you are going for an IT job and you have a degree and another guy has a masters and the third guy didn't graduate high school... we all know exactly who is going to get the job 9 out of 10 times... the 1 guy who does get the job without ANY school, is because he went high and above the other two with his skills... probably said fukk school and was some computer genius at home, who just blew everyone's mind

well this goes over for acting as well. every rapper can't get an acting job.. but if you blow the shyt out the water with no school, like a will smith, you can make it. but there ain't 25 raekwons in hollywood, given roles of nasa directors, cause they don't have the resume or skills to do it

if this was ONLY black actors, we'd have something here. but no.. you can turn on most current movies and tv shows, and it's some british WHITE GUY, playing the role of an american white guy. we just had a british batman for god sakes... the main character of the highest rated show on tv (walking dead) is austrailian.. the new star wars movie is top 3 movie of all time.. black guy is british but plays without his accent.. avatar is top all time... white guy is austrailian, playing an american... superman is british now... spiderman is british

it ain't about race... they simply think being classically trained is better than not having that training... of course they COULD be wrong.. which is why they bring them in and make them audition for the part.

y'all really think they putting BILLIONS into movies, then say "you know this other guy is fukking amazing, but lets not put him in the movie that we need to make money on, because we need this other guy who is worse, because he's classically trained"

parallax

Superstar
Daps
but it's not a "worthless degree" or "getting a white man to cosign" ... you are literally getting a degree IN YOUR FIELD OF EMPLOYMENT

lets quit with the dumb shyt for a second.. if you are going for an IT job and you have a degree and another guy has a masters and the third guy didn't graduate high school... we all know exactly who is going to get the job 9 out of 10 times... the 1 guy who does get the job without ANY school, is because he went high and above the other two with his skills... probably said fukk school and was some computer genius at home, who just blew everyone's mind

well this goes over for acting as well. every rapper can't get an acting job.. but if you blow the shyt out the water with no school, like a will smith, you can make it. but there ain't 25 raekwons in hollywood, given roles of nasa directors, cause they don't have the resume or skills to do it

if this was ONLY black actors, we'd have something here. but no.. you can turn on most current movies and tv shows, and it's some british WHITE GUY, playing the role of an american white guy. we just had a british batman for god sakes... the main character of the highest rated show on tv (walking dead) is austrailian.. the new star wars movie is top 3 movie of all time.. black guy is british but plays without his accent.. avatar is top all time... white guy is austrailian, playing an american... superman is british now... spiderman is british

it ain't about race... they simply think being classically trained is better than not having that training... of course they COULD be wrong.. which is why they bring them in and make them audition for the part.

y'all really think they putting BILLIONS into movies, then say "you know this other guy is fukking amazing, but lets not put him in the movie that we need to make money on, because we need this other guy who is worse, because he's classically trained"

the roles for white actors eclipse the scraps minorities are getting. there isnt some even playing field out here.

as for classical acting, there are schools that are just as acclaimed as any drama guild here, but people take that classical training shyt to mean better, when like i said, it doesnt.

as for the bolded, they do that shyt all the time. am i supposed to believe that sam worthington is some good actor because he went to school for it? or what about jai courtney, who seems to get work despite having the acting talent of a dead fish?

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
British actors and rappers taking our jobs!!!!! :skip:

They're "cheaper" Sam. That's the American Way!!!

Seeing Get Out with Lil Uzi Vert or 21 Savage or some black extra from Harry Potter would have been better? :pachaha:

There are a lot of young talented American black actors who don't get any chances, because brits swoop in and take those jobs.

You think British film directors would cast a bunch of American actors over British ones? Nope.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Nah, he was saying that he didn't like that they would cast Rappers that had no acting talent whatsoever then cast actors like him to try and add credibility to those rappers.
I totally see what Sam was saying in regards to the rapper comment. Like they can just plug rappers in a role, with no experience to replace the value of a certified black actor. I could see how a trained Black American actor like Samuel L could find that condescending.

And in regards to Samuel L's comments regarding Black Brit actors, he's right. They have Black Brit actors getting the roles of historic Black AA figures. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just the swiftness in which AA actors are getting passed up, because of a perception of their superiority to AA actors is where I can see how that would be bothersome up Samuel L.

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
All this wouldn't even matter if us AA'S actually BUILT our own Hollywood a long time ago.

I'm still trying to figure out how we never progressed from us getting money in the chitlin circuit from our own establishments to making a film industry we could support and sustain.

The white/Jews did it with Vaudeville which came before Hollywood.

We never tried to boss up in the film industry the same way we did in the music industry which is really puzzling.:jbhmm:

Because we got sold on the idea that the white man's ice is colder, and the delusion that integration is better than building ourselves up. Now you see the results of that, we simply don't have as much power as Jews as Asians in this country.

the problem is Sam fukking admitted they have better training... then brushed it off with no explanation

"They think they’re better-trained, for some reason, than we are because they’re classically trained. I don’t know what the love affair is with all that. It’s all good."

so he admits that they are classically trained.. then just says he doesn't know why they love that fact

ummmmm cause it means they have better training nikka... one plus one equals two.. if i'm going to have someone fix my house, do i want a guy who went to school for it or a guy standing outside home depot?

Classically trained doesn't mean better. It just means you studied theater in a more traditional way, geared for doing plays. You don't need to go that route to be a talented/successful actor.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
While I agree with a pan-African perspective in general, I think that we should also acknowledge that in America, African Americans have a *particular* stigma and hatred attached to them as blacks. Make no mistake, they hate Jamaicans/Nigerians/British Blacks too...but never as much as they hate "their" blacks.

These Brits are trying to pretend that they don't have a privilege here, and that's just as wrong.
This is true. This is why I feel where Sam is coming from. As a Haitian, I already know that Alot of White Americans(depending on the situation) tend to favor Black foreigners over AA's. Ism comes in many forms, and that's another way to enact it, without looking like you're inacting it.

"You're not like a regular American Black, you're better. A better actor than regular blacks"

:mjpls:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
the roles for white actors eclipse the scraps minorities are getting. there isnt some even playing field out here.

as for classical acting, there are schools that are just as acclaimed as any drama guild here, but people take that classical training shyt to mean better, when like i said, it doesnt.

as for the bolded, they do that shyt all the time. am i supposed to believe that sam worthington is some good actor because he went to school for it? or what about jai courtney, who seems to get work despite having the acting talent of a dead fish?
y'all are running around in circles.. here's my point

no matter the race, studios are going to look at your resume first. if you have a role to fill, you're going to look at their headshots and resume before you bring them in for an audition

now i don't think they just pulled this out of their asses... something has lead people to believe that being better trained, leads to better acting.. not 100% of the time, but most of the time. so when they bringing in those 10 guys, they are going to pick the 10 best looking resumes as a starting point. if one says oxford school of art... and the other says nothing.. guess who's getting the audition? if one says ny school of art and the other says oxford school of art, then they both are probably getting in

google "why are american actors losing jobs" there's at least 10 articles that explain that american MEN are not going to school as much as they used to. it's seen as a worthless degree and they simply aren't going out in numbers.. that coupled with the cost of elite art schools in america, also factors into less going.. which factors into less being called to even try out for these parts

again.. if it was just us, i'd be like "yea these fukkers don't want an AA to come up" but they doing it to the point that american whites are complaining about this shyt. yes they have more roles.. but the problem is the same.. the studios, for whatever reason, are saying these other countries train better actors than us... i say us, cause the studios are american too

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Classically trained doesn't mean better. It just means you studied theater in a more traditional way, geared for doing plays. You don't need to go that route to be a talented/successful actor.
well the people making the movies are not agreeing with you :yeshrug:

it's not rocket science here.. i don't make movies, i don't pay to finance them, i don't cast them, i don't have shyt to do with them.

at the end of the day, the directors, the producers, the studio owners are out here picking up classically trained actors by the boat loads and saying fukk americans... and they are fukking american

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Thank you!! I feel the same way, I knew his accent was off cause he sounded like he was from Harlem lol. Googled him and he's from England and studied Denzel and someone else for that role....what!?!!?! They couldn't hire a decent black American actor??? To play a kid from south central, shyt "Carvel" is Day Shawn from vice principals and a classically trained actor..couldn't find another car like that?
Yeah that bothers me how actors can't get black regional accents right. They act like a Black dude from LA has the same accent as a Black dude from Brooklyn. Even AA actors fall victim to this.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
y'all are running around in circles.. here's my point

no matter the race, studios are going to look at your resume first. if you have a role to fill, you're going to look at their headshots and resume before you bring them in for an audition

now i don't think they just pulled this out of their asses... something has lead people to believe that being better trained, leads to better acting.. not 100% of the time, but most of the time. so when they bringing in those 10 guys, they are going to pick the 10 best looking resumes as a starting point. if one says oxford school of art... and the other says nothing.. guess who's getting the audition? if one says ny school of art and the other says oxford school of art, then they both are probably getting in

google "why are american actors losing jobs" there's at least 10 articles that explain that american MEN are not going to school as much as they used to. it's seen as a worthless degree and they simply aren't going out in numbers.. that coupled with the cost of elite art schools in america, also factors into less going.. which factors into less being called to even try out for these parts

again.. if it was just us, i'd be like "yea these fukkers don't want an AA to come up" but they doing it to the point that american whites are complaining about this shyt. yes they have more roles.. but the problem is the same.. the studios, for whatever reason, are saying these other countries train better actors than us... i say us, cause the studios are american too
Good point...

I don't know why folks are missing this point. It's not like straight up African actors are taking jobs from AA's, it's Black BRITS of African descent specifically who are getting these jobs. And in that case, British actors of all races are getting roles over Americans and are playing American roles. I kinda now see how publically singling out Black Brits could be problematic. Especially when you don't ever see White people doing the same. Hell, white Americans would rather see a Brit playing a historically White American fictional role than seeing a black American play that role.

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
People saying Sam's comments were directed to directors and not black actors, but which audience would a person with common sense think would end up more affected? :stopitslime:
Y'all think Sam can't do a conference call with all the major directors???? He's SAMUEL L JACKSON. I guarantee u his comments went out the ear of white directors, producers, and motherfukkin recording companies.

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
The reason it bothers some black Americans probably has to do with the limited amount of roles available to begin with. So if you feel Black Brits are siphoning off 33% of the roles that used to go to Black Americans, well that is going to stick in someone's craw. However, if you have skills, you work.

I mean, let's stop for a second and really examine this. Taye Diggs, Boris Kodjoe, Henry Simmons, Michael Ealy and many others from that era, still get work even though they've never been awe-inspiring as actors. Yet somehow they have worked consistently.

What is this thread about specifically? Stardom? Because like I said earlier, that is decided by the audience. If people supported Boris Kodjoe like they do Kevin Hart, I mean, would he not be starring in movies as well? He has leading man looks, without leading man talent.