ICE Raids in Mississippi’s Chicken Country Create Opportunity for Black Residents

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
well read my original post. i specifically linked an article so you can get where the basis of my opinion was coming from. then i gave my personal opinion that i wouldn't want anyone i gave a fukk about to live near or work there "but hey".... in context, that "but hey" is me recognizing that people need to do what they need to do. lol, it was a perfectly fine post but nikkas sassy and in they feelings as usual. in fact, someone earlier in the thread said basically the same thing "these aren't the best jobs, blah blah" and there was no sassy clap backs lol :yeshrug:
only difference between theirs and mine was i actually added a link to facts.

also the thing that especially irritates me about this is that they PURPOSELY place these near communities of color. like, if it was just random and the brehs sought it out or something like that then yeah i would be more inclined to say it is what it is. but they PURPOSELY place these there knowing that some people are already the last to be picked for all other jobs so they gotta settle for this shyt and its poison. if you dont see how its a set up then idk what to tell you
Oh I get it...this is what you prefer :troll:

Julissa Arce: undocumented at Goldman Sachs and breaking a stereotype

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
11.40 an hour which equates to around 23k per person. The average income per person in Morton Mississippi is 12,556 dollars according to the census.

The per capita incomefor the city was $12,556. About 18.9% of families and 24.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 32.5% of those under age 18 and 22.4% of those age 65 or over.
and these wages WILL GO UP because these are citizens who aren't afraid of ICE or calling the FDA or OSHA :francis:

Xerces

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Texas
There are no opportunities for us in Mississippi.

They'll just give the jobs to legal Mexicans instead
:what:

Bullcrap. I was in a reserve unit in Mobile Al, and there were a lot of folks in the unit from Ms, who had fantastic paying jobs at this govt ship yard down by the coast

And if they are legal American citizens, why couldn't they get a fair shake at a job.

You probably thought you were saying something there

Last edited:

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
You can't have it both ways fam.

I don't hate illegals.

And I support LEGAL immigration. its how my parents got here. Its how many people I work with (PhDs, MDs, etc) got here.

But theres a process, and theres a line... you can't jump that and undermine the needs of the country (which are regulated dynamically annually) when it comes to the immigration the country wants.

Plus, you can't do this shyt in Mexico!!!
Both ways what? What are you even talking about? And if there's anybody undermining the needs of the country, it's the numerous employers who continue to hire undocumented workers.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Please elaborate on your point sir

We need labor reform, unions, better wages, and immigration reform. The Government and these companies are playing a shell game that is exploiting workers and the more troubling longterm issue is that there is probably a severe labor shortage in our country already.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
There is a This American Life episode on this issue about chicken farms in Alabama. They mention how illegal workers came in and displaced black and white workers alike and broke up their ability to unionized. It led to me changing my mind on the subject quite a bit.

Our Town - Part One - This American Life

There's no reason to be pro illegal immigration

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
chicken jobs...

that's what yall want us to strive for?:francis:
This is very elitist. Secondly who says this is the end game for them? The 20 year old they interviewed in the story was talking about going to college. Well, now he has this way to pay for it which is important in Mississippi since Mississippi is dead last in education spending.

Nobu

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
chicken jobs...

that's what yall want us to strive for?:francis:

Better than not having a job. And like breh said in this thread, these jobs are paying 2 times the median in that area. That represents a significant increase in quality of life for these people, especially since any dollar increase in income has a larger effect on the lower end of the spectrum.

Wanting there to be more low-skill jobs for people who need them, doesn't mean you want black people to aspire to these jobs as their highest aspiration. That's a poor strawman argument.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Both ways what? What are you even talking about? And if there's anybody undermining the needs of the country, it's the numerous employers who continue to hire undocumented workers.
Theres a supply problem of too many illegals.

The demand should be prosecuted. What about the supply?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Better than not having a job. And like breh said in this thread, these jobs are paying 2 times the median in that area. That represents a significant increase in quality of life for these people, especially since any dollar increase in income has a larger effect on the lower end of the spectrum.

Wanting there to be more low-skill jobs for people who need them, doesn't mean you want black people to aspire to these jobs as their highest aspiration. That's a strawman argument.
Right.

One dude made $4 more per hour than he made in his previous job :mindblown:

Then there was Mr. Grant, only two years out of high school and still finding his way in the world. He said it felt good to be earning $11.23 an hour, even if the new job entailed cutting off necks and pulling out guts on a seemingly endless conveyor of carcasses. It was about $4 better, he said, than what he used to earn at a Madison County cookie factory.

And smug a$$holes are in here looking down on THAT???