ICE Raids in Mississippi’s Chicken Country Create Opportunity for Black Residents

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Guest workers are documented and not "illegal immigrants"

They're granted temp visas and the program is heavily regulated and monitored.

I'll take this to mean that you would be fine with companies bringing in guest workers to work in the plant in the op's story. Interesting. I guess you don't care about black labor after all. :mjpls:

You ignored the other stuff. I guess good working conditions for black laborers isn't one of your concerns. :mjpls:

Seems you care more about corporations doing everything possible to avoid hiring and paying a living wage to this country's citizens. :scust:

You sound a lot like Trump.:jbhmm:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I'll take this to mean that you would be fine with companies bringing in guest workers to work in the plant in the op's story. Interesting. I guess you don't care about black labor after all. :mjpls:

You ignored the other stuff. I guess good working conditions for black laborers isn't one of your concerns. :mjpls:

Seems you care more about corporations doing everything possible to avoid hiring and paying a living wage to this country's citizens. :scust:

You sound a lot like Trump.:jbhmm:
Seasonal and guest workers are not undocumented.

I absolutely want better labor conditions for black workers, but that can't be undermined by people who are too afraid of deportation rather than reporting problems to management or government regulators.

Illegals hurt EVERYONE's leverage

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Just imagine how widewidespread this is throughout the south

Those factory jobs sustained a breh throughout college.

Black people eating from legal jobs in this country will always be championed by me

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
The majority of us are middle class now. Yes, we are still disproportionately in poverty as well. but both can be true at the same time. Opening up more factory work and other low income blue collar jobs is cool, that type of thing is helpful to the 21% ( or whatever the current rate is) of black people statistically in poverty. But there is another 79% that can still improve too. We need to be looking to expand our middle class and get more into the upper class as well. Actions that benefit the middle class would benefit far more black people. Making college easier to fund, highly skilled trades more accessible. etc. Getting everyone a job working for minimum wage is not enough anymore and i don't really consider it a step forward. we're not competing with immigrant labor, we're competing with white people.

HellRell804

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The majority of us are middle class now. Yes, we are still disproportionately in poverty as well. but both can be true at the same time. Opening up more factory work and other low income blue collar jobs is cool, that type of thing is helpful to the 21% ( or whatever the current rate is) of black people statistically in poverty. But there is another 79% that can still improve too. We need to be looking to expand our middle class and get more into the upper class as well. Actions that benefit the middle class would benefit far more black people. Making college easier to fund, highly skilled trades more accessible. etc. Getting everyone a job working for minimum wage is not enough anymore and i don't really consider it a step forward. we're not competing with immigrant labor, we're competing with white people.

Minimum wage is 7 dollars an hour.

Some of these factory jobs are paying $20 an hour or more after factoring in yearly performance based raises.

Factor in overtime and these men are making more money than the flood of black "professionals" with communications, human services, liberal arts, and other nonsense degrees outside of nursing and STEM.

These are actually the jobs that form the middle class. The jobs men and women take that allow them to financially help their kids go to college so they can get those nonsense degrees and not wind up with an insurmountable amount of debt they can never pay back. Or if the kid is smart enough to get a real degree, kickstart their high earning potential without the noose of student loans.

I'm noticing a section of black people purporting to be our "leaders" that is totally lazy, anti manual labor, and effeminate. We're building our community on a very shaky foundation

Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I can totally vouch for the fact that $11 an hour would be an upgrade in Mississippi for many people who aren't big fish in a small pond ass cacs who benefit from nepotism.

Someone with an undergrad degree (and the student loan debt to go with it) from a completely regular state school who'd barely be considered middle class in a city like Atlanta would pretty much be considered "rich" in most small southern towns.