I saw Godzilla tonight

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Solid B+ The action was awesome, the character stuff was meh and needed work, which would've been negated by more monster but that goes to the pacing issues. Reminded me of Independence Day or a poor man's Jurassic Park

Speaking of which, totally called the Jurassic Park moment at the end when Godzilla grabbed the female muto and melted her face and snapped her. Dope shyt though

I'm at Navy Pier right now breh's, the first showing just let out.

The cinematic scenes were worth the $20. Godzilla went smooth off.:whew:

I came in without barely seeing any trailers and had low expectations. Saw IGN's review then all of a sudden decided to see it.

I enjoyed it! I love the backstory and the direction they went with it instead of them just bombing Godzilla and all the lame stuff from the Zilla 98 flick. shyt felt epic. Very well done for a monster movie.

Saw it earlier today and I thought it was straight heat rocks...

Special effects had me like :ohhh::noah:...whoever did the CGI for this is going to be getting a lot of work in the future...

The first atomic breath had me like :lawd::banderas:

The acting was pretty good, but the plot itself was :manny:...but i don't see why you would give a fukk about a plot in a godzilla movie...

The fighting was just :banderas:...Zilla out here on his old school shaq steez where he just spin move and yam monsters into submission...

You need to go into it accepting the fact that it is a people movie...with Godzilla in it...and not the other way around..

I liked that take on it...because it's been done the other way plenty of times before

Well be going to see it again before Monday

@Crakface care to come back to thread to answer for all these coli reviews?:sas1:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
He got some personality, but since he's not really shown that much it's more in the moments. Like we don't get to see Godzilla in full view a lot, but I do think all those moments help you root for Godzilla, even if he's too much of a silent protector of mankind when he should be the none-fukks-giving kang!

But in this rendition of Godzilla he is not a protector of mankind, he is a killer of monsters...

And he is not suppose to have personality...the movie clearly states in dialog and action that Godzilla is an apex predator...apex predators are cold, soulless, pretty much devoid of any purpose other than to hunt what they want and kill what they want...to give an apex predatory a personality is to try and humanize it, and it was clear to me that they were trying to NOT humanize Godzilla...

It was pretty clear to me that Godzilla was supposed to be seen as the anti-hero ( ended up saving mankind but that was not his goal at all) or even the villain for reasons that don't need to be spoiled, since they did try to humanize the Muto's.

I also don't understand the gripe of not seeing Godzilla's entire body from the get go...they showed the Muto's full form right off the bat, out in the open mulitple times...they had to show you Godzilla in bits and pieces in the end to give you a sense of scale...to make you say "is he going to be big enough?" "is he going to be strong enough?"

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Idk, I have mixed feelings about the slow reveal

on the one hand, it helped change the audience's perspective and made us feel more part of the cinematic world rather than outsiders because we saw Godzilla the way the characters in the film saw him. it was also very Spielbergian the way it was a slow build up, which made the payoff at the end much more satisfying rather than if it was just an overkill of CGI monsters fighting each other

on the other hand, it's Godzilla. We all know what he looks like, his background, etc. This isn't Cloverfield where the monster is a big mystery. He's such a pop culture icon that it doesn't really make sense to tease so much

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Idk, I have mixed feelings about the slow reveal

on the one hand, it helped change the audience's perspective and made us feel more part of the cinematic world rather than outsiders because we saw Godzilla the way the characters in the film saw him. it was also very Spielbergian the way it was a slow build up, which made the payoff at the end much more satisfying rather than if it was just an overkill of CGI monsters fighting each other

on the other hand, it's Godzilla. We all know what he looks like, his background, etc. This isn't Cloverfield where the monster is a big mystery. He's such a pop culture icon that it doesn't really make sense to tease so much

:ld: fair points breh

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
good fukking movie, I highly recommend it....it has good story, decent acting overall, and great effects/monsters/action.....only gripe I had was the main guy surviving every fukking thing...after awhile it was like 'this muthafukka still alive?' lol.....anyway, like someone said: best way to describe this is as a human movie featuring Godzilla...which is cool cause it comes off as an intro movie to him....the next movie, they can make it a godzilla movie featuring humans.....also, i see some complaining about the director teasing godzilla.....i disagree with that, i liked it...there was no need to rush into showing him...when he did finally show him in full, the payoff was worth it....

Last edited:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
good fukking movie, I highly recommend it....it has good story, decent acting over, and great effects/monsters/action.....only gripe I had was the main guy surviving every fukking thing...after awhile it was like 'this muthafukka still alive?' lol.....anyway, like someone said: best way to describe this is as a human movie featuring Godzilla...which is cool cause it comes off as an intro movie to him....the next movie, they can make it a godzilla movie featuring humans.....also, i see some complaining about the director teasing godzilla.....i disagree with that, i liked it...there was no need to rush into showing him...when he did finally show him in full, the payoff was worth it....

@Crakface is mad because ya'll are proving his stan obsessed rants wrong...he wanted you to HATE the movie so bad.....you hurt his feelings :lolbron:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Lets think about this. Men are championing a movie that doesnt have a lot of action or fighting.............

Clearly dorks.
:sas1: Not enough action... And that's why it sucked?

I've been a skeptic though. What they did with the monsters and the fighting in Pacific Rim raised the bar. I'm going to still go see it though

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Just saw it 8/10

Cloverfield still my GOAT

Tatum starring would've made it a 14/10 certified classic tho :wow:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
fukk Pacific Rim. That movie was pure trash :camby:

Godzilla 99 better than pacific rim :stopitslime:

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A
fukk Pacific Rim. That movie was pure trash :camby:

Godzilla 99 better than pacific rim :stopitslime:
Are you listening to yourself right now. A movie with a multitude of epic action scenes is inferior to this trash? Are you being for real right now or are you just trying to save face because Godzilla was trash.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Are you listening to yourself right now. A movie with a multitude of epic action scenes is inferior to this trash? Are you being for real right now or are you just trying to save face because Godzilla was trash.

Rim was about giant robots fighting giant monsters. I slept on it but was surprised when I finally watched. movie was dope for what it was. it seems like this zilla movie is biting elements from Cloverfield in not wanting to show the monster but if what they are saying is true...... HOW YOU GONNA NAME A MOVIE AFTER A CHARACTER THAT GETS LITTLE TO NO SCREEN TIME? :manny: