I noticed this site has become VERY ANTI Hip Hop lately…

Swahili P'Bitek

Absorbingpovertywithoutlimitations
Daps
Reppin
Mtaani
Good RnB(on a mainstream level) is required to balance things out. Hip hop in itself is street, and just like any street influenced music certain undesirable realities MUST leak into it and ultimately gives it some edge entertainment wise. But who said RnB must be 100% love songs, the 70s proved that RnB can be as conscious and observant as any "street poet" while speaking for the common man.

Finesse

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Gotham
Non street artist need a machine to compete with street artists. If Cole, Kendrick, Travis and Drake did not come in the game with machines and heavy co-signs.

It would of been Rick Ross/MMG------->Waka Flocka------->Keef to where we are now.

Which happened regardless anways. Black people dont like positive conscious music as a collective. Like it has been sated previously in here.

Lox/DMX/Dipset/Gunit were all rapping the same shyt as the new guys. Its just that these new nikkas are actively living it as well.

Atlanta didnt follow Oukast and Goodie Mobb they followed TI, Jeezy and Gucci.

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Hot Nikka charting breaking the Billboard was a turning point too.

At no point did a song with that type of content top the charts. Yeah there was plenty of gangsta shyt before but not with that level of realism and descriptiveness.
And that’s why TLR be sayin it’s murder music nikkas can dance too

Bobby was talkin bout killin nikkas and the song went viral cuz he had a funky dance move to it

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
"Hypnotize" was a far bigger hit than. "Juicy" and has him talking "note for the plaintiff, your daughter's tied up in a Brooklyn basement", "squeeze first, ask questions last", "I still leave you on the pavement", etc.

Gangsta Rap was huge in the 90's and we understood that it was entertainment. And what's funny is people complained when songs like "Hypnotize" became the norm because it was a danceable song. It became "the jiggy/shiny suit era is killing Hip Hop".
Who understood it was entertainment? The same complaints Coli posters make about drill rap is the same complaints older people of that time had about gangster rap

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who understood it was entertainment? The same complaints Coli posters make about drill rap is the same complaints older people of that time had about gangster rap

Listeners understood it was entertainment. Some of our elders took issue with gangsta rap, but a lot if them never liked rap music to begin with.

StackorStarve

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Those songs don't run radio now. This is why y'all be sounding so out of touch

Drill ain't played on the radio:russ: but y'all minds are stuck in the radio context so that's how you view everything

Some of the biggest rappers in the game right now can't be played in the radio. And there are nikkas with millions of views of YouTube that ain't even signed

This ain't 2003 we're in a completely different paradigm
These mfers don’t have a clue what they’re talking about. It’s hilarious. They never play drill on the radio. They probably think people still watching music videos on BET too 😂

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And for the love of God y'all gotta retire the "back in my day we had variety" bullshyt.

Theres more variety now than at any point in history but again because y'all are stuck in the radio/tv era y'all are late to the fact that whatever you think you're looking for requires the effort of you looking for it

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Non street artist need a machine to compete with street artists. If Cole, Kendrick, Travis and Drake did not come in the game with machines and heavy co-signs.

It would of been Rick Ross/MMG------->Waka Flocka------->Keef to where we are now.

Which happened regardless anways. Black people dont like positive conscious music as a collective. Like it has been sated previously in here.

Lox/DMX/Dipset/Gunit were all rapping the same shyt as the new guys. Its just that these new nikkas are actively living it as well.

Like I said rap music central theme is about what’s happening in the streets

The difference with the 00s is that you still had to “crossover”

Gucci/TI/Jeezy 50 even DMX in the late 90s had to make commercial sounding records go get into regular rotation

You don’t need different content to make it mainstream now.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Who's fault is that?

Don't blame the product for the consumers hunger

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s still entertainment to the listeners

Authenticity has always sold in rap.

Authenticity didn't sell records. Selling the illusion of authenticity is what sold the records. Most rappers were just telling the stories of the people who actually did the dirt or they took on the persona.

keon

imma hitta by myself
Supporter
Daps
I separated HipHop & rap a long time ago..

shyt like drill & trap is just rap music to me, where as rappers who care more about lyricism and have more HipHop inspired type of beats are considered HipHop.

for example,rappers like Boldy James and Freddie Gibbs rap about selling dope & killing shyt, but their beat selection is definitely on some HipHop shyt.

drederick tatum

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Speaking only for myself, the songs back then presented the violence in a fantasy way, along with the money and women. And the rappers were good at rapping. Now, when I hear YBNBASAP Yung Corduroy Pants spitting, "I just popped 3 opps outside the ice cream shoppe," then 3 weeks later he gets arrested for actually having killed 3 people, it's just sad. Like a lot of it is just not fun to listen to