I noticed this site has become VERY ANTI Hip Hop lately…

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
Yeah I mean I may not like some of the music and artists currently out now but I'll never shyt on Hip-Hop.

TLR is infested with cosplaying CACs and nerdy bruhs who have this resentful attitude towards Hip-Hop among other things.

Their extreme disdain for Hip-Hop has them lashing out but it's not really just Hip-Hop that's got them in a rage they are just using Hip-Hop as a cover up for what's really making them angry. The others are just CACs who never liked Hip-Hop anyway and resorting back to their discriminative attitudes they've had for the genre since the 90s.

Another thing is that this site has a lot more older people than we like to believe. TLR has a lot of bruhs who are in their mid-late 30s with some already past 40yrs old shyt I even think a few 50yr olds, so I assume it could also be them feeling at odds because they can't really relate to this current era of music so they feel pretty much indifferent.

Last edited:

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
I’ve talked about this so many times and specifically how Chief Keef blowing up shifted the game and opened the door for young rappers and ended the blog era and the archetype of rapper labels was looking for.

The Coli needs to open up registration for good and recruit and market the site.
Yup. I remember listening to "I Don't Like" my senior year thinking it was just a cool song, little did I know :francis:

I do wonder how much different the game would be if that never happens. How much longer would the blog era last? Would Days Before Rodeo change the sound? Do we even get that if Keef doesnt drop?

Some new blood over here wouldn't hurt. The Tony Yayo, 50, Mase, etc threads get tiring after a while.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Rap becoming an even younger man's game doesn't help either. The average age for a new rapper used to range from 22-27, that range is like 17-22 now. The oldies on here already have trouble keeping up with dudes who are closer to their age, it becomes worst when you introduce even younger guys like X, Juice, Pop, Roddy, Tjay, Polo G, YB, NLE, Tecca, etc. That's not even mentioning the young underground guys who make waves on TikTok.
I came in here to say this

Rap is getting younger and more street. Mainstream rap is all street rappers and songs

What we use to call “love songs” or crossover attempts don’t even work anymore and that’s why so many of the older rappers are struggling

Rap has always prioritize the streets but you use to have to do something different to gain appeal outside of your core. Now if you’re anything other than street you are rejected

Like @ISO said Chief Keef was the start of this.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Damaging to who?

so you dont think gangsta rap is damaging to young black kids? I went to some of the worst schools in my city. I know what image a lot of these young black males aspire to be. Most grow out of it but the ones who took it too far ended up being slave to the system.

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why the fukk do a lot of y’all even still post here? Between the bullshyt music takes. The seemingly blatant disgust for anything hip hop related. The condescending nature of y’all posts. The damn near flat out c00n posting ESPECIALLY in TLR. Feels like I’m in a forum with a bunch of undercover crackas and cornballs. I’m getting more and more uncomfortable posting here cause of it.
You the breh but you know most of the slight is geared towards over the top rap. Where they rapping about killing an opp, talking about dead men etc

The Jada,Coles,Lil Baby ain’t getting talked about at the same rate. Trying to pigeon hole hip hop into just a certain type ain’t it

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
You know what's crazy? When there's a thread on somebody like Mysonne trying to spread a positive message and nikkas up in there calling him a hypocrite because he went to jail. This place is a mess

Then they turn around and say the music is too aggressive and the reason for black on black crime
i've seen that. which is nuts.

he did his time and is trying to better society as a whole spreading something positive.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Yup. I remember listening to "I Don't Like" my senior year thinking it was just a cool song, little did I know :francis:

I do wonder how much different the game would be if that never happens. How much longer would the blog era last? Would Days Before Rodeo change the sound? Do we even get that if Keef doesnt drop?

Some new blood over here wouldn't hurt. The Tony Yayo, 50, Mase, etc threads get tiring after a while.
Hot Nikka charting breaking the Billboard was a turning point too.

At no point did a song with that type of content top the charts. Yeah there was plenty of gangsta shyt before but not with that level of realism and descriptiveness.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
so you dont think gangsta rap is damaging to young black kids? I went to some of the worst schools in my city. I know what image a lot of these young black males aspire to be. Most grow out of it but the ones who took it too far ended up being slave to the system.
No it’s not

StackorStarve

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Why the fukk do a lot of y’all even still post here? Between the bullshyt music takes. The seemingly blatant disgust for anything hip hop related. The condescending nature of y’all posts. The damn near flat out c00n posting ESPECIALLY in TLR. Feels like I’m in a forum with a bunch of undercover crackas and cornballs. I’m getting more and more uncomfortable posting here cause of it.
It’s about time somebody said this. No matter what issue happens people will randomly add rap music to the sauce as some huge dark influence on our population even after they acknowledge crime was considerably worse before rap was ever a thing. It’s a lot of old heads who forgot what they listened to growing up or straight fukking lames on here. Rap is the most popular music genre on the planet but somehow it only effects black youth negatively. Disregard all the other factors that are way more pertinent.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
saw a thread in tlr mentioning a drill track was set to be the #1 song in the nation. when i listened it sounded like something the church shooter would write in his manifesto. those types of explicitly violent and poisonous songs didn’t used to run radio. there was more diversity and balance to the bs. maybe people are just getting fed up with the constant stream of negativity, glorification of fukkery, and ever decreasing level of diversity. every station you turn to it's the same. shyt is corny and annoying.
:flabbynsick:
Those songs don't run radio now. This is why y'all be sounding so out of touch

Drill ain't played on the radio:russ: but y'all minds are stuck in the radio context so that's how you view everything

Some of the biggest rappers in the game right now can't be played in the radio. And there are nikkas with millions of views on YouTube that ain't even signed

This ain't 2003 we're in a completely different paradigm

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:hubie: I was in high school when young jeezy, 50 cent..dmx(elementary school/middle school). Not mature to understand how damaging pushing this gangsta non sense is. As an adult, I am not okay with the image of the black man of being a gangsta rapper pushed on young black kids. It's not healthy.

Also many of these rappers major hit were not gangsta songs.

How many rappers you seen fall back after mentioning the slightest things about asians and jews? but its okay to push killing black men.

"Hypnotize" was a far bigger hit than. "Juicy" and has him talking "note for the plaintiff, your daughter's tied up in a Brooklyn basement", "squeeze first, ask questions last", "I still leave you on the pavement", etc.

Gangsta Rap was huge in the 90's and we understood that it was entertainment. And what's funny is people complained when songs like "Hypnotize" became the norm because it was a danceable song. It became "the jiggy/shiny suit era is killing Hip Hop".

Just say you have a problem with current Hip Hop because you don't like it instead of trying to use the whole "it pushes negative agendas" narrative to justify not liking it.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Hot Nikka charting breaking the Billboard was a turning point too.

At no point did a song with that type of content top the charts. Yeah there was plenty of gangsta shyt before but not with that level of realism and descriptiveness.
That song didn’t even have a hook. For a long time “today was a good day” was the only rap song without a hook that had mainstream success. Now it’s the norm