I noticed this site has become VERY ANTI Hip Hop lately…

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I feel like rap has become less creative in the way it expresses explicit themes which makes it way more outwardly violent than it used to. Especially the sexual vulgarity in major hits is something unthinkable now - that shyt was relegated to album cuts and skits back then, now you got DaBaby literally swimming in a boat on white liquid and shyt.

I always laugh when people are talking about how much society has progressed and what shyt wouldn't fly today when the average rap song is way more misogynistic now than even the 90s :heh: And shea butters be championing that shyt too.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well I hate to break it to you breh but you admitting that your old gangsta rap was fun to listen is a direct line to the "sad" shyt you see now

Y'all really are full of shyt and can't even see the connections of all of this

It ain't so "fun" when it ain't "fantasy" now is it:mjlol:

Just like you thought that shyt was "fun" and cool to listen to, some other nikkas agreed and went outside to do it

I know it's blasphemy to admit raps influence but the truth is

1. Rappers rapped about shyt going on in the streets
2. Nikkas wanted to emulate the shyt they heard from rappers
3. More shyt goes on in the streets
4. Repeat step 1

Both things feed each other then when it gets to the point it is now nikkas wanna be sad about it

It's too late don't be sad now nikka:russ:

Y'all wanna be entertained and sad at the same time and it don't work like that:manny:

The Difference between then and now is that the youth really are about the life. They don't care about catching bodies. Even as early as 20 years ago, two teens getting into at a gas station wouldn't have ended with a life lost. This has nothing to do with emulating rappers and everything to do with mentality that has nothing to do with music.

I'll give you an example, three teens in my area were involved in a drug deal gone wrong. One of the teens were gunned down by a white girl. She was caught and arrested. Her accomplice was on the run. He was captured during the commission of another crime and tried to shoot it out with the cops. They shot him, but he lived and was arrested.

Two other incidents occurred at gas stations. Watching the news and its a bunch of random murders among the youth that don't involve music and no one wants to talk about:

1) Where are they getting the guns from?

2) Where are the parents at?

drederick tatum

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Well I hate to break it to you breh but you admitting that your old gangsta rap was fun to listen is a direct line to the "sad" shyt you see now

Y'all really are full of shyt and can't even see the connections of all of this

Just like you thought that shyt was "fun" and cool to listen to, some other nikkas agreed and went outside to do it

I know it's blasphemy to admit raps influence but the truth is

1. Rappers rapped about shyt going on in the streets
2. Nikkas wanted to emulate the shyt they heard from rappers
3. More shyt goes on in the streets
4. Repeat step 1

Both things feed each other then when it gets to the point it is now nikkas wanna be sad about it

It's too late don't be sad now nikka:russ:

Y'all wanna be entertained and sad at the same time and it don't work like that:manny:
I stopped reading after this:
because that's exactly my point. You were so excited to talk some shyt that you didn't even realize that you were making my point for me.
I love hip hop and I'll always listen to it, but if a song isn't either fun, or technically proficient, I don't want to hear it.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
"Come & Get Me" doesn't have traction to be a huge song in the 90's because we had nowhere in which the songs were readily available at our fingertips. We had to buy the album to hear that song. Now, you can just pull up random songs on YouTube.
I agree but I think that’s the biggest difference with rap between then and now. There was a distinction between street records and commercial songs.

A song like “Sleazyflow” being a hit to me is still wild to me

Also R&B losing its cultural influence means rappers don’t have to try and tap into the R&B fans market

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I agree but I think that’s the biggest difference with rap between then and now. There was a distinction between street records and commercial songs.

A song like “Sleazyflow” being a hit to me is still wild to me

Also R&B losing its cultural influence means rappers don’t have to try and tap into the R&B fans market
R&B and rap being in kinda separate worlds back then was better for both genres

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I’m not making any excuses.

I’m saying Biggie singles are relatively clean compared to what passes for a rap hit today.

Songs like WAP and Back In Blood being chart toppers is crazy.

I agree with you that the paradigm shifted.
Akinyele Just Put It In Ur Mouth was pretty big. Lol

StackorStarve

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Majority of the youth have phones and music is way more accessible right now. If you were a teen in the sohh era most likely you have a family and kids right now. You overlook things when youre young like the impact that music has on the youth. You grow up and realize how impressionable children are. Drill music isn’t solely responsible for violence in the black community but for the young impressionable kids it damn sure doesn’t help. People grow and mature and their views change. People who don’t realize that are probably young immature or don’t have a family
I doubt the majority of the kids you grew up with who also listened to rap music went on to become murderers and criminals unless they already had serious issues outside of what kind of music they listened to. There hasn’t been a spike in violence because music is more accessible now. Violence was worse before music became more accessible so your logic doesn’t add up. The same thing that happened with your generation will happen with ours and the ones after us. They’ll all grow to be regular people who listened to rap a lot more when they were younger, not career criminals because EST Gee sounded dope on a couple tracks they had on repeat.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m not making any excuses.

I’m saying Biggie singles are relatively clean compared to what passes for a rap hit today.

Songs like WAP and Back In Blood being chart toppers is crazy.

I agree with you that the paradigm shifted.
:manny:

If you think it's crazy I'll leave you with something to think on because I noticed people never grasp this

What happens in the dark always comes to light:manny:

The taboos, the salacious, the shyt that happens in dark rooms and bad neighborhoods will always make it to the eyes of the masses. Once it's there there ain't no turning back

Black people more than anyone else should be aware of that fact. 100 years ago black folks was sweating and grinding on each other in a dark room to dirty blues music. That shyt became rock n roll

Hip hop is no different. When the street and p*ssy raps went from being dirty underground shyt to the world finding out about it it was a wrap. Add in the internet and 100x everything:manny:

So yea there was a point where you had to sneak and hear Back In Blood and had to go sneak in your uncle closet to see the tape with WAP on it but now that shyt is everywhere because nothing is more exciting to people than the shyt black people do at night and in dark rooms

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I feel like rap has become less creative in the way it expresses explicit themes which makes it way more outwardly violent than it used to. Especially the sexual vulgarity in major hits is something unthinkable now - that shyt was relegated to album cuts and skits back then, now you got DaBaby literally swimming in a boat on white liquid and shyt.

I always laugh when people are talking about how much society has progressed and what shyt wouldn't fly today when the average rap song is way more misogynistic now than even the 90s :heh: And shea butters be championing that shyt too.
No one wants to hear males sing and that’s including old hiphop heads
R&B and rap being in kinda separate worlds back then was better for both genres
Yeah it did but R&B has been to keep up with Rap since the mid 00s. Male R&B died on a mainstream level somewhere around 2012

Female R&B is still going strong but rappers don’t need to make music for those fans to be successful

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
The Difference between then and now is that the youth really are about the life. They don't care about catching bodies. Even as early as 20 years ago, two teens getting into at a gas station wouldn't have ended with a life lost. This has nothing to do with emulating rappers and everything to do with mentality that has nothing to do with music.

I'll give you an example, three teens in my area were involved in a drug deal gone wrong. One of the teens were gunned down by a white girl. She was caught and arrested. Her accomplice was on the run. He was captured during the commission of another crime and tried to shoot it out with the cops. They shot him, but he lived and was arrested.

Two other incidents occurred at gas stations. Watching the news and its a bunch of random murders among the youth that don't involve music and no one wants to talk about:

1) Where are they getting the guns from?

2) Where are the parents at?
Exactly. 2 people got killed on public transportation out here in the Bronx within days apart. These were grown ass people in their late 30s and early 50s. One cat got stabbed on the bus last night in an argument by a man and his wife.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I stopped reading after this:

because that's exactly my point. You were so excited to talk some shyt that you didn't even realize that you were making my point for me.
I love hip hop and I'll always listen to it, but if a song isn't either fun, or technically proficient, I don't want to hear it.
I'm not talking shyt the hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance just amazes me

The old generations always try to act like the newer generations were some isolated incidents, and just fell out of space once day

drederick tatum

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I'm not talking shyt the hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance just amazes me

The old generations always try to act like the newer generations were some isolated incidents, and just fell out of space once day
How is it hypocrisy? I said I don't like listening to people rap about actual real life murders, and that I want the songs to be good.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
The Difference between then and now is that the youth really are about the life. They don't care about catching bodies. Even as early as 20 years ago, two teens getting into at a gas station wouldn't have ended with a life lost.
Idk about this this stuff been happening :usure: