I noticed this site has become VERY ANTI Hip Hop lately…

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
What difference does that make to the point you’re trying to make?how something charts is measured in an entirely different way

Gangster/ Gangster could’ve been listened to infinitely more times (and there’s no doubt it my mind that it was)
Regardless of the era, charts measure popularity by sales, and with streaming wat you’re saying is clearly cap lmfao

Songs way easier to access, so clearly sleazy world would have more plays

This is just on the hip hop charts

GG 91
Sleazy Flow 9

Stop it slime

QU Hectic

Superstar
Daps
Let’s be real breh. Mobb Deep had a skit on they third album where they were shooting at a nikka out the project window. Biggie talked about robbing a pregnant woman for her number 1 mom pendant

shyt I was just bumping the War Report in the gym the other day and Tragedy talked about duck taping a chick and raping her while video taping it. All of of this shyt I mentioned dropped between 94-97. Hip hop been violent af. That was my favorite era tho. And yes I’m a fan of more lyrical shyt. But I’m not gonna sit here and pretend like the content was less problematic. The real problem these days is you got rappers who only treat the music as a hustle and are really living out their rhymes. But you can blame the fans for that. We demanded for rappers to be as real as possible
I remember after hearing that never respecting him , knowing he dropped that Intelligent Hoddlum album. Even Saga of ahoodlum wasn’t that ignorant.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Nah don’t agree wit that disingenuous BS he on

My point is the violent type drill rap is wat shoots to the top of charts now

GG charted at 91 in rap songs back in 88

SWG charted at 9

Big difference
I mean violent hip hop been at the top of the charts for the most part since MC Hammer got played out. There’s been a few who weren’t on that like Nelly, the Fugees and Missy. But violent materialistic content has been the most popular shyt for like 30 years

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I actually remember when we called out this hypocrisy back in like 2013/14.

The argument was that rappers today lack creativity and message in their music.

I do agree that rappers are less creative these days, but honestly they're no different than gangsta rap from the 90s as far as content. I don't even know why it's a discussion.

One thing I do agree with the old heads about is the fact that rappers nowadays do seem more likely to continue to gangbang or run their own little criminal enterprises after making it big, Which does add an extra element to the music. ( i.e. Young Thug, 69, Ar-Ab, cassanova, etc.)

Whereas rappers backnin the day either left the life or might've still parlayed in the streets but not to that extent.

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I mean violent hip hop been at the top of the charts for the most part since MC Hammer got played out. There’s been a few who weren’t on that like Nelly, the Fugees and Missy. But violent materialistic content has been the most popular shyt for like 30 years
50 had sum non violent hits
Big did too
Nas did too
Jay did too
Ye did too

It ain’t really get like that again until hot nikka charted top 10 in 2014

QU Hectic

Superstar
Daps

Nelly is one that always gets respect cause he could have went that route cause he was about it , but didn’t

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The content has regressed in the mainstream and the lyrics and production often times has also regressed @spliz not sure anyone can argue that..

Pac made Troublesome '96 but he also made keep ya head up/dear mama/life goes on/so many tears

There was a balance to the artform. i'm only stating what sold commercially.

it's not just rap.. every type of music regressed because corporations have 100% control now on what they are gonna sell to people.

Don't blame the board for being unhappy about it. There's songs here and there but most are out the microwave

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Regardless of the era, charts measure popularity by sales, and with streaming wat you’re saying is clearly cap lmfao

Songs way easier to access, so clearly sleazy world would have more plays

This is just on the hip hop charts

GG 91
Sleazy Flow 9

Stop it slime

A song had to be a single to chart back then. No matter how many times people listened to song on CD they purchased it wouldnt chart if it wasn’t sent to radio

Big did too
Nas did too
Jay did too
Ye did too

What does this have to do with being anti hiphop now if you admit that the content was the same.

Just because 50 made Candy Shop means what?

If king Von made First class you would feel different about him?

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
The content has regressed in the mainstream and the lyrics and production often times has also regressed @spliz not sure anyone can argue that..

Pac made Troublesome '96 but he also made keep ya head up/dear mama/life goes on/so many tears

There was a balance to the artform. i'm only stating what sold commercially.

it's not just rap.. every type of music regressed because corporations have 100% control now on what they are gonna sell to people.

Don't blame the board for being unhappy about it. There's songs here and there but most are out the microwave
How is this a reason to be anti hiphop tho?

You also have 100% control on the music you consume now.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

Pac's two most celebrated albums while he was alive went straight to #1 off 'Dear Mama' and 'California Love' as the lead singles. A song about the love between a mother and son and a song celebrating life in Cali

Snoop's biggest hit was 'gin n' juice'. Dogg Pound had 'lets play house'

for all the "but gangsta rap sold!" posts in there... there was a clear balance with the music. There's a difference between the celebration of life in general while narrating the streets and a whole album of just "go murder everyone cause they a different set"

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
A song had to be a single to chart back then. No matter how many times people listened to song on CD they purchased it wouldnt chart if it wasn’t sent to radio

What does this have to do with being anti hiphop now if you admit that the content was the same.

Just because 50 made Candy Shop means what?

If king Von made First class you would feel different about him?
GG clearly charted so that kills your argument
One was jus more popular than the other

If anything GG shoulda charted higher wit less competition back then

Stop it folks

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
50 had sum non violent hits
Big did too
Nas did too
Jay did too
Ye did too

I forgot to add Ye. And your right. But you also bringing up some of the most well rounded MCs ever. There is a reason they are considered goats. Excluding Ye those other rappers have some of the most violent, materialistic and misogynistic lyrics ever put on wax. shyt one of the reasons 50 blew up was becuz he was shot mad times

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
GG clearly charted so that kills your argument
One was jus more popular than the other

If anything GG shoulda charted higher wit less competition back then

Stop it folks
:what:

Doesn’t that kill your argument of being anti hiphop today because of the content of the music