I noticed this site has become VERY ANTI Hip Hop lately…

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why wouldn't a HIP-HOP HEAD want to LEAVE A FORUM that's HOSTILE to Hip-Hop ?

You fukks don't even post about shyt that isn't "Gangsta rap".
You'd have a point if y'all was pumpin' Open Mike Eagle or Blu or Atmosphere or the dozens
if not hundreds of other non-gangsta rappers.

Stop the fukking grand standing.

Many of you are fraudulent Hip-Hop heads trying to front about your undying love for
Hip-Hop but are no where to be fukking found when actual Hip-Hop discussion is happening.

Again, a lot of y'all are not of the culture :yeshrug:
Open Mike Eagle’s favorite rapper is MC Paul Barman. I listened to his podcast interviews with Dante Ross and he lacked a basic grasp of hip hop history. He sounded like a blackface version of fantano or fakeshore drive. To pretend the “underground” - which became a condescending classist movement of white and suburban black doofuses way way way back - has automatic cred is silly.

If you read a book like Notes and Tones (Arthur Taylor interviewing his peers, the pioneers of Jazz) it’ll fukk your head up, because the parallels with hip hop are crystal clear. Black innovation and art cannot survive being coopted and stunted due to the racism and class wars attendant to American society. The very discourse of hip hop is rotten - the historical facts are altered by commodification. It’s not “dusty old head” bias to be bemused by people revising history to claim Ja Rule had classic albums and “deserves his flowers.” Or that Hammer could actually outrap your favorite rapper. Or that Coolio was a hip hop legend on par with BIG and Pac. All sentiments I’ve seen on this forum in recent times.

I grew up on Keith Sweat, Bell Biv Devoe, Jodeci etc yet I was fully aware my era of r&b was garbage compared to what my aunts and uncles listened to. Circumstances mean some generations get better shyt. It happens. Informed, comprehensive discourse allows us to understand why and how - it provides the context and criticism necessary for sustaining culture. Black people generally lack the influence (the platforms and capital) to control the discourse of our shyt once it gets popular. The relatively small, soulless, white-aspiring class of nikkas who ascend to platforms don’t help matters as they tend to be shaped by and desperate to gain approval from the forces that warp the discourse in the first place. I’m deep in this hip hop shyt - from Harlem, my cousin is a pioneering MC, I lived a lot of the formative history - and what strikes me daily is just how many black people now spout opinions and inhabit perspectives that we used to associate with silly white outsiders.

Also, hip hop used to be black culture in conversation with itself. nikkas sampling and reimagining the music of their youth and making cultural references that united
the initiated in an almost secret society sort of understanding. With popularity came corruption of that core cultural leaning. When you have a white audience willing to throw capital at you, you begin to appeal to whit sensibilities. Hip hop went from counterculture to theme music for conservative frat bros in the mainstream. The recent trend of rapping over mainstream pop samples and shytty noise music about murdering opps is just an extreme example of the minstrelsy produced by the dovetailing of white sensibilities and extreme capitalism. Hip hop was initially a response to warped white sensibilities and extreme capitalism - now it’s the soundtrack for those things.

The black cultural connections have faded and become irrelevant. Now it’s black people rapping a warped white fantasy of blackness.

This isn’t limited to black people, just to be clear. Open instagram reels or tik tok and you see something fascinating: that extreme capitalism, the attention economy, and resource scarcity transform a staggering number of people - regardless of creed, color, or country - into minstrels. Look at all the buffoons dancing poorly with plastic smiles, praying enough people will watch the spectacle, so maybe just maybe Tide or Nutella or some protein powder brand will toss a light bag their way. It’s soul crushing. Art is only as strong as the culture that sustains it, or the counterculture movements that gives it heart and soul. In our current society, even the counterculture is branded and sponsored. We’re down bad out here.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
What was your point?
Sounds like you're "less comfortable" posting here because you dont think its a safe space for hip hop anymore
Tell me what I got wrong
I’m less comfortable posting here because I feel like I’m surrounded by a bunch of c00ns, cornballs and racist crackas posing as black people. Look at the Charleston White and TI thread on the front page. That piece of shyt said he’s gonna Trayvon Martin TI’s son and praised Zimmerman but that’s the Coli’s hero and people in that very thread still fukk wit him and congratulating him. Yea. I don’t wanna be posting amongst this type of fukk shyt.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin

You'd have a point if y'all was pumpin' Open Mike Eagle or Blu or Atmosphere or the dozens

Many of you are fraudulent Hip-Hop heads trying to front about your undying love for
Hip-Hop but are no where to be fukking found when actual Hip-Hop discussion is happening.

:salute:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m less comfortable posting here because I feel like I’m surrounded by a bunch of c00ns, cornballs and racist crackas posing as black people. Look at the Charleston White and TI thread on the front page. That piece of shyt said he’s gonna Trayvon Martin TI’s son and praised Zimmerman but that’s the Coli’s hero and people in that very thread still fukk wit him and congratulating him. Yea. I don’t wanna be posting amongst this type of fukk shyt.
Breh this is an actual lie you just saying shyt with no proof again

I was just in that Charleston White thread there ain't a single post in there congratulating him. Do you know what the word congratulate means?

You been ranting and raving about lies and half concocted information this whole time

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
But to be real, hip-hop (historically along with Rock 'N Roll, grunge or any type of "rebel music") has always been the blame for societies ills amongst the youth. Nothing has changed for that speaking point except for what side of the coin you're on. Now if you believe that music is the cause of the way these kids acting the way they do, then what you're saying is that you agree with past generations in that music in general has a negative behavioral influence on the youth - more than any other type of medium. That's something I will never agree with.

Now, where I will agree with the similarities vs other genres is that those were moreso trendy. Rock N Roll evolved into a culture, but most of the youth were into it because it was the thing at the time. Hip-hop has seemingly devolved from a culture into something trendy, and a brand instead of a lifestyle. IMO that's where you get the disconnect, and the current crop of those who care about everything but the culture. And if that's so, then it's never about music, but moreso about not feeling passionate about anything other than allowing your peers to dictate your actions - that of a mob.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Breh this is an actual lie you just saying shyt with no proof again

I was just in that Charleston White thread there ain't a single post in there congratulating him. Do you know what the word congratulate means?

You been ranting and raving about lies and half concocted information this whole time
How bout this. Check the fukking recent CW vs TI thread. Don’t quote me no more cause I ain’t been lying about shyt. Damn near every respected poster has witnessed the shyt I’m talking about but I’m lying right? fukk outta here.

Last edited:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
No, it’s not the same. Pac had monster hits of all types, if I ruled the world is Nas’s biggest song, nas is known for introspective music more than street or Escobar shyt

Rubi Rose is actually one of the best rappers in this young class, she’s got the voice flow and delivery, and yet, she prefers to be a whore first, which is exactly why I’m saying women need to offer more in their raps. And Flo Milli is a 90’s/00’s sample away, sure

And it’s not a few exceptions wtf…the mainstream always, until recently, had variety and multiple artists who could offer up more than one type of song. Feel free to cape for what’s going on presently, but don’t try to rewrite history in the process.

These acts who came out/blew up 2019-now are one dimensional and the mainstream is monotonous. This is a now problem. Just the 10’s generation before you had big Sean, wiz, Kendrick, drake, future, meek, kudi, wale, cole all making different lanes of music, miss me with “the mainstream never had variety”

The blog era was a unique time in rap that can’t be compared to any other era

The variety came from need to appeal to different audiences which was my original point in this thread. You don’t need to appeal to R&B fans, you don’t need commercial records made specifically for radio anymore.

The street records become hits these days. They don’t need hooks or anything.

And let’s be real. Most hiphop heads use to complain about the “song for ladies/momma/heal the world” that had to be on every album

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
I know cacs are PE #1 on The Coli but I remember reading Bomb the Suburbs back in the day and dude that wrote it had this line from a Chicago OG (paraphrasing) "When you become an adult, you either make Hip Hop your career, kick it down to a hobby, or quit."

I don't know about the rest of you but in middle/high school, college, and for most of my 20's Hip Hop was my entire life. I was the walking KRS-One line "rap is something you do, Hip Hop is something you live"

At some point in my mid 30's I was asking myself "WTF is this?" when the mumble rappers were taking over. At first I was like fukk this shyt and retreated into trapped in the 90s safety. After a while I felt the dusty bitter old head energy creeping up on me and I forced myself to listen to new shyt. I was talking to a homie about being trapped in the 90s cuz as far as the new shyt I was on some Bandanna P shyt "I don't give a fukk what you sold, that shyt is trash". He told me the crate digging moved from the physical to digital: "crate digging is now on SoundCloud and Spotify."

Now I mix it up, I discovered new shyt that meets true Hip Hop head standards: Navy Blue, Isaiah Rashad, Coast Contra, Kota the Friend, and Griselda just to name a few. The fact that Nas, Black Thought, and Pharoahe Monch are still rocking and rapping circles around rappers that could be their kids is a good look for my generation.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I know cacs are PE #1 on The Coli but I remember reading Bomb the Suburbs back in the day and dude that wrote it had this line from a Chicago OG (paraphrasing) "When you become an adult, you either make Hip Hop your career, kick it down to a hobby, or quit."

I don't know about the rest of you but in middle/high school, college, and for most of my 20's Hip Hop was my entire life. I was the walking KRS-One line "rap is something you do, Hip Hop is something you live"

At some point in my mid 30's I was asking myself "WTF is this?" when the mumble rappers were taking over. At first I was like fukk this shyt and retreated into trapped in the 90s safety. After a while I felt the dusty bitter old head energy creeping up on me and I forced myself to listen to new shyt. I was talking to a homie about being trapped in the 90s cuz as far as the new shyt I was on some Bandanna P shyt "I don't give a fukk what you sold, that shyt is trash". He told me the crate digging moved from the physical to digital: "crate digging is now on SoundCloud and Spotify."

Now I mix it up, I discovered new shyt that meets true Hip Hop head standards: Navy Blue, Isaiah Rashad, Coast Contra, Kota the Friend, and Griselda just to name a few. The fact that Nas, Black Thought, and Pharoahe Monch are still rocking and rapping circles around rappers that could be their kids is a good look for my generation.
There’s no such thing as true hiphop head standards but like others have said you just didn’t like a different sound in rap

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
How bout this. Check the fukking recent CW vs TI thread. Don’t quote me no more cause I ain’t been lying about shyt. Damn near every respected poster has witnessed the shyt I’m talking about but I’m lying right? fukk outta here.

And none of yall have quoted a single post to strengthen the argument, it's just a circle jerk of "yeah fam, I been peeping it too"

:mjlol:

just clown shyt all around.

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV

Bra yall been namecalling in this thread

All it’s really about is pearl clutching cuz nikkas not fukkin wit this demonic BS

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y'all nikkas allergic to reading:mjlol: I just said I was in that thread that's how I know you're lying

YEA nikka you lied:mjlol: you can't even show the posts of nikkas congratulating Charleston and there's an overwhelming majority of nikkas shytting on him in that thread

And you can save all that tough shyt like you ain't been in here posting like a white woman. Making proclamation about being "uncomfortable being here":mjlol:

You making shyt up and being melodramatic