‘I lost everything’: Black women get evicted more than anyone else. A looming eviction crisis will m

brandy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
This can easily happen to anyone, including homeowners through property taxes. We need to regulate housing because racism.

Nicole Chambers takes a selfie during one of her nursing shifts.
She felt it was a fair request. The 44-year-old nursing assistant had paid her $2,490 monthly rent for four years without incident. She always took care of the house, putting any extra cash toward refreshing the paint or decorating. And her landlords knew how hard she had been working in COVID-19 wards treating intensive-care patients up and down the Pacific Northwest.

Something about this seems off. If she was an exemplary tenant, why wouldn’t the landlord give her a few days ?

They don’t have to. Tons of great tenants have been removed because they don’t want to be price gorge and can’t afford it.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
"Her landlords received $19,792.93 of back rent, legal fees and court charges"

it sounded like she got a notice to leave after 1-2 missed payments. it states weeks.

it took her months to find a new place the article states. maybe the months she was apartment searching she was not paying rent at the place she got kicked out from since she'd have to pay like 7k to move into her new place according to the article.

1-2 payments missed + purposely not paying while apartment searching 2-3 months + court and legal fees might equal the 20k

that sounds about right.

but she did try to make it seem like they booted her for being 4 days late initially.

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
As a Seattle breh, this shyt is real. @RadaMillz @Eastside Get The Money @Howie Doroughberg @Ed MOTHEREFFING G @O Fenômeno

Sadly, the ADOS Black population native to the region is disproportionately not getting ANY of the tech money. They also typically dont have a solid base of family to lean on like the Somalis and Ethiopians who live in in the Rainier Valley and North Seattle/Shoreline.

SO what that means is, given that Black Women are MTL to have children by Black Men, the Black mothers in the Puget Sound area are statistically going to be of low income and more than likely single. And Seattle is arguably the toughest home market in the entire USA with a bad mix of scarcity, high prices, and lack of infrastructure to support living outside of City Limits, especially if you arent a 6 figure breh who works a kush job to support flexible hours and a commute.

And while the South Sound (Tacoma/Olympia) are more affordable, the wages there arent as lucrative and even those areas are getting snatched up by Seattle commuters.

I tagged the other Seattle posters because most of us are transplants and are mostly immune to the rent crisis (my theory is that Black Men arent as vulnerable since the dusties can either shack up with random women and the transplants are probably making more money and can afford it).

I got to visit Seattle about 6 years ago and heard the same story.

The Black folks basically got priced out. Most got pushed to Tacoma.

Superstar
Daps
that sounds about right.

but she did try to make it seem like they booted her for being 4 days late initially.
i don't think that was her intent, there is no quote from her & it seems like she got the 4 days. i think they were just trying to show her desperation by mentioning it, but it just confused readers

rough timeline estimate

day 1: lose job
day 4: rent is due
day 7: ask for 4-day extension
day 21: notice to vacate

"For Chambers, her troubles began when she lost her nursing contract several weeks earlier, days before rent was due. A week later, Chambers asked her landlords for four more days to pay the rent....But the letter in her hand stated she had 60 days to find a new place."

the "several weeks" portion refers to the time her troubles started before getting the notice to vacate

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
it sounds like she was living above her means. she was paying damn near $2500 a month in rent on a nursing assistant salary and it says she was using all her extra money to either fix up the house she didn't own or buy antique furniture for it.
Yeah I'm on all sides of the issue. We know with inflation that a lot of businesses are using it as an excuse to raise prices and try to raise profits. Property owners are raising price now that housing is in such short supply. At the same time the majority of people live well above their means and then blame the world for their poor spending habits. A lot of people have lost the difference between wants and needs.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

On the day before she moved out of the green house, Chambers sat down to drape her beloved living room furniture in bubble wrap. There was a four-piece Persian set with a sofa and three throne chairs. The chairs had gold, hand-carved roses overlaid with lush fabrics and had cost her $7,000. Chambers lovingly touched each item, the possessions she had worked so hard for.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i don't think that was her intent, there is no quote from her & it seems like she got the 4 days. i think they were just trying to show her desperation by mentioning it, but it just confused readers

rough timeline estimate

day 1: lose job
day 4: rent is due
day 7: ask for 4-day extension
day 21: notice to vacate

"For Chambers, her troubles began when she lost her nursing contract several weeks earlier, days before rent was due. A week later, Chambers asked her landlords for four more days to pay the rent....But the letter in her hand stated she had 60 days to find a new place."

the "several weeks" portion refers to the time her troubles started before getting the notice to vacate

Oh okay,I figured she was already behind prior to losing her job. Due to getting a notice to vacate so quickly. Who knows why the landlord wants her out. Possibly a racist,possibly wants to sell the house,possibly wants to move in themselves. This is why people have a hard time feeling bad for landlords

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
"On the day before she moved out of the green house, Chambers sat down to drape her beloved living room furniture in bubble wrap. There was a four-piece Persian set with a sofa and three throne chairs. The chairs had gold, hand-carved roses overlaid with lush fabrics and had cost her $7,000. Chambers lovingly touched each item, the possessions she had worked so hard for."

You renting but buying 7000 dollar chairs?????? :snoop: