I just found something interesting. No artist under 30 in Rap or RnB is popping like that. Is Gen Z the most talentless generation??

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're telling on yourself.

Pinkpantheress was born in 2001
Lil baby is 30 next year key glock is 26. Normani is 28, h.e.r. is 27.

Yall just stopped listening to new music because you got older and it all sounds the same to you. People who grew up with 70s music said 80s music sounded like overproduced trash. People who grew up with 80s music thought 90s music sounded derivative especially with all the sampling. People who grew up with 90s music said 2000s music sounds soulless. Hip hop has been "dead" since 2006 apparently.

I guess the crowds filling stadiums to see the likes of Megan thee stallion, Gunna, or 21 Savage didn't get the memo
Here come the peter pan nikkas with the excuses. Key Glock, HER and especially Normani are NOT superstars lmao.

The lame ass "yall not in touch" excuse backfires here because superstars are supposed to cross over. If I have to be a music nerd digging thru crates and trolling mixtape sites to check out every semi buzzing artist to hear about an act then they are NOT popping.

I've never listened to a Taylor Swift song voluntarily in my life and I can point her out the crowd and name some of her hits. My mom knew who Drake was by the time Take Care dropped. Older black folks at community events I went to rocked with Kendrick back in the TPAB era.

Out of all the artists mentioned in this thread Meg is the only one with that kind of crossover success with WAP. The rest of this thread is a joke.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Nas was a lyrical prodigy at 16 and dropped illmatic.

I think Kendrick was in his late 20s when GKMC dropped. Was it like 2014/15? 2012 is when I heard section 80 and it was a masterpiece.

Cole was popping in his 20s, time just flies.

These new artist are in there mid 20s and are hot garbage.
Kendrick was mid 20’s when he made GKMC and it dropped in 2012. Section 80 dropped in 2011

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
They're talking about the star power on a mainstream leve + sales (gunna/21 are 30 and the vast majority of women artists are only on for shaking ass)

But mainstream aint what it once was and sales aren't what they once were so comparing today to yesteryear doesn't even make sense.

Lil Baby is on potato chips all over the country and Megan had a whole sauce and sandwhich dedicated to her by Popeyes. How much more mainstream does one have to be in this era if that isn't already saying something?

Problematic Pat

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
And what year was it when you first found out about them.

How are you measuring that? Who out of the people I've listed has experienced a decline in ticket sales and monthly streams?

People aren't sitting around listening to CDs or vinyls at home anymore. A successful artist now is measured in monthly listeners, view counts for their music videos and concert ticket sales.
They were late 20s when I heard of them.

Lil Baby ain't the same artist he was 3 years ago.
If you don't release any music for a whole year and no one notices are you really that guy?!

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As far as talent goes its a two fold thing.

One, over time, talent has become less of a requirement to get on. You look at Jaime Foxx. People go on and on about how multi-talented he is and he most certainly is but that used to be par for the course. You had to sing and act and dance and be funny. It wasn't significant or a bonus if you could do it all...it was expected. Over time its become more and more specialized. And now you really dont need talent. If you got bodies or a body you can be a star with minimal talent.

Secondly there is less development. I remember "save the music" being a thing in the 90s and I didnt understand the big deal. Then I realized how many people in the past got exposed to music and developed their skills for free in school. Record companies arent investing in developing and refining artists as they have no financial incentive to do so.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’m :flabbynsick:

But I just looked up Sexxy Red, Megan The Stallion, Glorilla, Jack Harlow, all are in their 20s. I’m sure there are others, those were just a few who are in their 20s.

:manny:

Congrats,yall finally got a few answers for the under 30 part. Now time to rebuttal the part about being a talentless generation:francis:

Is their anyone under 30 whos popping,and talented? The only rebuttal to the OP is that being trash is whats celebrated and consumed in this era. So its actually worst to be "popping".

And truthfully, were the most talented artist the ones who were popping the most in the 2000s?
Or did they just make the best music to be popular for their time?

There was a time when _____(insert random mixtape rapper) was considered much better than 50 or Jeezy by people online. And of course we cant forget K rino being better than everyone:mjlol:. Point being people on internet have a tendancy to be out of touch with reality and whats considered good.

I dont personally feel that about myself,but we cant rule it out based on history:respect:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
How are you measuring that? Who out of the people I've listed has experienced a decline in ticket sales and monthly streams?

People aren't sitting around listening to CDs or vinyls at home anymore. A successful artist now is measured in monthly listeners, view counts for their music videos and concert ticket sales.

And the average age an artist starts to pop off is older because parents are more protective of their children now. There are more than enough stories about what kind of demons work in the music industry. Yall literally just witnessed a rap beef where the most famous rapper on earth was accused of being a groomer and pedophile.
I’m measuring it based off the fact none of the people you named are superstars. Lil Baby came close at one point but he fell off

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
Entertainment is now cheap and disposable for the most part. It’s more a sign of the business than the artists themselves. Artists used to be “developed” for years before they even debuted. Now they’re picked up off the street or internet, release a few songs, and then tossed when they’re done. Influencers with built in fan bases and nepo kids are becoming the face of all entertainment, including sports. It doesn’t mean there aren’t talented people out there though.

And young people have always listened to their parents music, as well as their own.

another example of capitalism ruining everything

Problematic Pat

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
But mainstream aint what it once was and sales aren't what they once were so comparing today to yesteryear doesn't even make sense.

Lil Baby is on potato chips all over the country and Megan had a whole sauce and sandwhich dedicated to her by Popeyes. How much more mainstream does one have to be in this era if that isn't already saying something?

Saweetie also had a McDonald's commercial but what is she popular for?? Eating Fruit Loops with ranch dressing but her bio says she's a rapper but when has anyone ever said throw that new Saweetie on. Coi Leray and Rubi Rose couldn't string together an ight song if you put them in a studio with the most talented writers and producers that ever lived but somehow they have an audience like they are actual stars.

I think this generation you have people that have audiences but for no particular reason at all. Why is Asian Doll even still talked about??? How long she gonna try to live off once dating King Von?? Her music constantly flops. Her dabble into OnlyFans failed. But she still has an audience.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
Congrats,yall finally got a few answers for the under 30 part. Now time to rebuttal the part about being a talentless generation:francis:

Is their anyone under 30 whos popping,and talented? The only rebuttal to the OP is that being trash is whats celebrated and consumed in this era. So its actually worst to be "popping".

And truthfully, were the most talented artist the ones who were popping the most in the 2000s?
Or did they just make the best music to be popular for their time?

There was a time when _____(insert random mixtape rapper) was considered much better than 50 or Jeezy by people online. And of course we cant forget K rino being better than everyone:mjlol:. Point being people on internet have a tendancy to be out of touch with reality and whats considered good.

I dont personally feel that about myself,but we cant rule it out based on history:respect:

Not that I REALLY care but just for the sake of argument I’ll bring up a few points:

First off: degradation in quality is subject to opinion. A GREAT singer to you that uses modern technology to enhance their vocals may be seen by your grandfather as a terrible singer compared to singers of the 50s with more “pure” (ie: not reliant on technology because it didn’t exist) singers. So because you or I may agree that someone is “trash” that doesn’t make them trash. We can say they are “less lyrical” or whatever we deem as our qualifiers for quality, but that doesn’t make them objectively worse, it makes them worse for what WE value.

Second: music is just a conduit to facilitate an emotion/feeling/situation. A DIRECT correlation to the music of today can be a reflection of the times. Music in the 60s had drastically different subject matter which facilitates a different type of expression. Music in 90s as well. We are in a very “microwave” era (Ie: we text instead of call and even texting we shorthand {rly, ILY, BRB, etc.}, we watch short form content on IG, our life is very in demand) so the lack in music arrangement (crafting intricate bars, crooning for 5 minutes on a song) is a direct reflection of our lifestyle.

So, is what is “poppin” for me, no. But ask someone from the 80s and they say KRS is better than Pac, the 90s Pac better than Wayne, the 00s Wayne better than Drake, etc.

Trying to say that what you or I prefer subjectively as objectively is old man shyt :manny:

Child_Of_God

Love is a long road.
Daps
Reppin
Washington D.C.
:martin:

Megan who has had more then 1 Billboad #1 singles (before the shooting) isn't popping like that? Neiter Kim or Foxy had a #1 Billboard single let alone more then 1 but according to u Megan isn't popping like that. One of the biggest rappers of this era isn't popping like that.

:snoop:

OK I'm done. You are obviously not trying to have a serious conversation.
Meg isn’t even Gen Z.