I just found something interesting. No artist under 30 in Rap or RnB is popping like that. Is Gen Z the most talentless generation??

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
You're telling on yourself.

Pinkpantheress was born in 2001
Lil baby is 30 next year key glock is 26. Normani is 28, h.e.r. is 27.

Yall just stopped listening to new music because you got older and it all sounds the same to you. People who grew up with 70s music said 80s music sounded like overproduced trash. People who grew up with 80s music thought 90s music sounded derivative especially with all the sampling. People who grew up with 90s music said 2000s music sounds soulless. Hip hop has been "dead" since 2006 apparently.

I guess the crowds filling stadiums to see the likes of Megan thee stallion, Gunna, or 21 Savage didn't get the memo
Some of these people already fell off or were never really on breh
:heh:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s the problem.

Our parents knew who the major hip hop and r&b artists we listened to were because they made huge crossover hits.

If you make hits people will hear them whether they want to or not.
We consume entertainment differently now. Everything is free and/or streaming. You dont have to listen to or watch anything you dont want. Therefore there is no such thing as a crossover hit. There are no more captive audiences. Our parents werent trying to hear Snoop and Pac and BIG but they had no choice. shyt was everywhere and inescapable.

Lets say your favorite artist is performing on the Grammys or Soul Train or MTV or BET Awards. Back in the day you had to sit through the whole show. Now you can just watch the specific performance on Twitter, IG, YouTube almost immediately afterwards. And even that isnt the big deal it used to be because you can see them all the time on those platforms.

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
Entertainment is now cheap and disposable for the most part. It’s more a sign of the business than the artists themselves. Artists used to be “developed” for years before they even debuted. Now they’re picked up off the street or internet, release a few songs, and then tossed when they’re done. Influencers with built in fan bases and nepo kids are becoming the face of all entertainment, including sports. It doesn’t mean there aren’t talented people out there though.

And young people have always listened to their parents music, as well as their own.

Problematic Pat

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Weird.

I mean she’s not for me but she’s on commercials, every award show, clearly one of the bigger names in young music.

Ice Spice is also in her 20s

If OP wants to debate the quality of music, I’ll agree. Nothing of these artists is moving me personally to listen to more than what is already established, but to the audience it’s meant for, these are big names
Saweetie, Coi Leray, Rubi Rose all famous but for what exactly?? Normani been holding out on dropping an album for 5 years and as soon as she drops it that shyt goes triple plastic but with the amount of stanning she gets you'd think she does Beyonce numbers. Torey Lanez had a way smaller platform than Meg and people clowned him talking bout who is he when he had almost the same number of listeners as her and he was 100% independent so you would see why I question her popping.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset

Yall just stopped listening to new music because you got older and it all sounds the same to you. People who grew up with 70s music said 80s music sounded like overproduced trash. People who grew up with 80s music thought 90s music sounded derivative especially with all the sampling. People who grew up with 90s music said 2000s music sounds soulless. Hip hop has been "dead" since 2006 apparently.

I guess the crowds filling stadiums to see the likes of Megan thee stallion, Gunna, or 21 Savage didn't get the memo
They're talking about the star power on a mainstream leve + sales (gunna/21 are 30 and the vast majority of women artists are only on for shaking ass)

Two things which will NEVER be as high as they used to be because music has to compete with all the other entertainment sources on the Internet, people seemed bigger back in the radio/video show says because there was a bottleneck for exposure, so the handful of people who got viewed, got viewed by EVERYONE in the country, so the bags and the numbers were bigger

Now if you don't follow those people on social media you ain't gonna know what they got going on :yeshrug: with no radio you have to actually go put music on yourself, between streaming TV shows, podcasts, YouTubers, streamers, it's SUPER easy to miss out in what a musician is doing

Nowadays I'll look up artists I like and see they done dropped 2-3 projects quietly and I completely missed them :skip: had to go back to soundcloud and their personal pages on IG/Twitter to get caught up

Problematic Pat

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
They aren't "superstars" tho

Pinkpantheress has how many hit records?

Normani's debut album dropped a few weeks ago did less than 20k its first week
I think people confuse the amount of stans someone has to how popular they actually are in selling albums and selling out shows consistently.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
They aren't "superstars" tho

Pinkpantheress has how many hit records?

Normani's debut album dropped a few weeks ago did less than 20k its first week
Nobody under the age of 35 cares about record sales because nobody is going out and buying CDs, sitting at home and staring out the window while they listen to music for an hour+. Vinyl collections and CD binders aren't something you'll find in a 25 year old's home.

Music is consumed and experienced differently now. People are subscribed to streaming services so an artists success is now measured in monthly listeners and venues they sell out.

Meg drops a song, it goes viral on streaming platforms. Whether it gets played at the grocery store or bank is irrelevant because most people spending money on concert tickets and merchandise are streaming that music on their platforms of choice.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA

Exactly it's a cyclical cycle that repeats itself with each generation looking down on the next

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
21 and Gunna both 31.
And what year was it when you first found out about them.
Some of these people already fell off or were never really on breh
:heh:
How are you measuring that? Who out of the people I've listed has experienced a decline in ticket sales and monthly streams?

People aren't sitting around listening to CDs or vinyls at home anymore. A successful artist now is measured in monthly listeners, view counts for their music videos and concert ticket sales.

And the average age an artist starts to pop off is older because parents are more protective of their children now. There are more than enough stories about what kind of demons work in the music industry. Yall literally just witnessed a rap beef where the most famous rapper on earth was accused of being a groomer and pedophile.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
All the artists that people really check for are all 30 plus with the bigger names either mid to late 30s or in their 40s (Drake, Kendrick, Cole, Future, Chris Brown, Weeknd, Sza, Nikki Minaj, Lil Wayne, Kanye, Rhianna, Beyonce, Usher).
Is this the 1st time in history of both genres that the artists that everyone checks for are not in their youth??

Most talentless…

Yes….