I just found something interesting. No artist under 30 in Rap or RnB is popping like that. Is Gen Z the most talentless generation??

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Music is too abundant, ubiquitous and there's no barrier to entry. Literally anyone can release it. You used to have to pay for studio time and go through an A&R before, so you would practice and practice to get shyt right.

It's that the traditional gatekeepers don't exist anymore. The new gatekeepers are whoever programs the algorithm. You do have a few under 30 artists that are big; Meg and Doja...probably a few more that escape me. But when there's so much trash music, you kinda gravitate to what you know. Drake hasn't been onto of the game because he's a Nas/Pac/Jay-Z caliber artist, it's a combination of he bites the latest sound and does it better than these up and coming artists because they have no real talent.

Every generation goes through this, sure...but there were the occasional crossover artists that everyone and their grandmom knew; Big had Big Poppa, Juicy, Mo Money Mo Problems. Nas had If I Rule the World, Mary J had I'm going down, Everything, I can love you better, Pac had half his damn catalog. My 50 year old mom and uncles knew the hits of the artists of the day. They could partially benefit from the familiarity of sampling, but there was a bridge stylistically from the previous generation that could catch young and older folks. This new generation doesn't have that because again, there is no barrier to entry...no gatekeepers. It's just do whatever that sticks.

I listen to a few new artists; Yeet, 22gz, a few others I can't even be bothered to remember their names because it's vibing music.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
:patrice:

You know what.. I didnt catch it first but when you said her music isn't hitting like that when I know for a fact that Megans music has been all over Tik Tok for years...and Tik Tok is the big wave. And then to say she got hits but the music isn't hitting which is a statement that contradicts itself.. I'm just now realizing you are just hating. I didnt catch it at first but I just now caught it.
She selling 60K with bots and struggling to sell out her tour what are you arguing here

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
fukk are u talkin bout? My first post says "her album did 65K" and that's been my whole point from the start. I came in here talking sales. You know why? Because that is a metric that is going to show whether someone is "poppin" or not... and she ain't poppin..
:duck:
This what you originally said:

65K first week ain't a lot........ She's pushed by Roc and the media, that's true. But is her music having a lasting effect on anyone? No

You mentioned more then just sales. You made a statement about her music not having a lasting effect and that's what I responded too. You mention her album sales while purposely ignoring the fact that her singles have sold multi platinum

If sales is the metric like you say then Megan is really popping because WAP alone sold 8 Million in America and went platinum and multiplatinum across the globe. Mind you, this is just 1 song...I can pull more.

Last edited:

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
fukk are u talkin bout? My first post says "her album did 65K" and that's been my whole point from the start. I came in here talking sales. You know why? Because that is a metric that is going to show whether someone is "poppin" or not... and she ain't poppin..
don't argue with that mentally ill fakkit

he's a self-hating latino

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
I’m literally now discovering whole crews of rappers that dropped dope music/albums 5 or so years ago. The “ there’s good music? You just have to find it” shyt killed music. Soooooo much heat has been overlooked out here. It was already hard for artists to get on, well it’s double hard now since there’s no Rap City, Yo MTV Raps, Midnight Love, hell even Caribbean Rhythms. You can think a cat is popping because a couple people in your city know them and they got a million views on YouTube.. Half way across the country, people would be like “WHO?!” If you brought the same artist up to them. shyt is crazy out here man,

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
I’m literally now discovering whole crews of rappers that dropped dope music/albums 5 or so years ago. The “ there’s good music? You just have to find it” shyt killed music. Soooooo much heat has been overlooked out here. It was already hard for artists to get on, well it’s double hard now since there’s no Rap City, Yo MTV Raps, Midnight Love, hell even Caribbean Rhythms. You can think a cat is popping because a couple people in your city know them and they got a million views on YouTube.. Half way across the country, people would be like “WHO?!” If you brought the same artist up to them. shyt is crazy out here man,
Man, I'm still mad at myself for not getting into Migos until like a year or two before Takeoff got killed.

It used to be SO easy.​

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
Entertainment industry has changed. It's not about being just a rapper now, you have to be a personality. These young artists probably don't even see themselves as rappers!

They're getting checks from social media. Music isn't paying like that anymore, but social media is.

It's C.R.E.A.M. = clout rules everything around me! Getting the clout equals dollar, dollar bills yall!

Yall clown Wack 100 because he's mastered social media. Same as Charleston White. They keep the people talking which brings them opportunities.

And that's what young artists are doing. They're more than rappers and singers.