I had no idea bikes were expensive

egsteel

All Star
Daps
So I’m trying to get a decent bike and go riding on a bike trail. Haven’t had one since I was in middle school. I’m thinking couple of hundred bucks will do the trick :ehh:

Come to find out they’re over $1000 and some cost more than 5k :mindblown:

With that kind of money, you can put a down payment on ur favorite car. They tripping.
I got mine about a month ago for $450 at a bike shop. You were looking at those special alloy bikes made for serious riders. Unless you plan on going for gold at the Olympics, just stick to the regular stuff.

Daps
$12500 for a bike....:dahell:

You might as well by a car and call it a day...:what:

All these neighborhoods that were sieged are loaded with bike shops. This was strategic to target the incoming people with the same money to buy a million dollar apartment having enough to cover a 13k bike

LeVraiPapi

Redemption is Coming
Daps
@boy got robbed blind lmfao

I know a bike store owner. He buys them at 50 and sells them at 600 with 150 paid for shipping 3-5 days (his shipping cost).

It's crazy how much they sell. My bro has a foldable bike and he put it on facebook for sale. He got about 5 offers in 1 day.

invalid

Banned
Daps
@boy got robbed blind lmfao

I know a bike store owner. He buys them at 50 and sells them at 600 with 150 paid for shipping 3-5 days (his shipping cost).

It's crazy how much they sell. My bro has a foldable bike and he put it on facebook for sale. He got about 5 offers in 1 day.

Here's the bike and specifications.

The Dash - Gentlemen's Build

Outside of the frame, every other add on is o customizable by me and ordered from the manufacturer.

It was a bespoke process like a buying a suit.

Meaning we went down a list:
Saddles - list of options w/ range of prices- I picked a Brooks
Handlebars - list of options w/ range of prices - I picked a Brooks.
Do you want a front hub upgrade with built generator - Y/N - Yes - List of options w/ prices - I picked the Schmidt Dynamo Hub
Do you want a fixed or multispeed - Y/N - Yes - Checked the Sturmley Archer
Do you want fenders -Y/N - Yes - picked handmade wooden fenders from antique manufacturer in Colorado.
Front rack?
Back rack?
Wheels?
Bell?
Lights?

All the way down the line. It was a bespoke process and prices for each item was coming directly from the manufacturer and not Heritage. Heritage orders and assembles.

If I resoled each individual bike parts, I will get close to what I paid for the whole.

I also get free lifetime regular maintenance from Heritage and coffee.

Last edited:

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
I was surprised at prices as well. I was looking at bikes last summer and was like what the fukk. You can always get something inexpensive from Walmart. I wouldn't do anything off road with a Walmart bike though. Your shyt will probably fall apart if you try to go downhill on a trail or something. Just for riding around town or in the park it's fine though. If you go someplace like REI where you're going to get something like a Cannondale, you're going to pay more.

I just ended up getting something off of Facebook Marketplace. It's good for now because it's just going on the indoor trainer as soon as I find out what size trainer wheel can fit on the rear wheel.

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
buy a cheap bike and expensive tires

I got a Schwinn road bike but put expensive tires on it and I havent had a problem in years

Beer Drinker

Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
They was open like last few days ago, seen a grip of bike riders out there getting their bikes fixed....:picard:

oh the jamaica ave bike shop:

slide1.jpg

slide4.jpg
11898554_998729350161584_6770134356611217407_n.jpg

Got my shyt from here. Seemed to know their stuff at the time.

invalid

Banned
Daps
breh im looking on the website at one of the bikes and most of the components are cheap/not made in america. perhaps just the frame is made here and its not that great of quality. regular grade steel or chromoly. bike prob heavy as shyt lol

shinola, im assuming like heritage and just good at branding as 'american' made, but its still cheap components breh breh. raleigh is also shyt quality nowadays. you def over paid. the crank on those bikes is barely worth $50. wheels worth $100 at most as well.

im not a fan of brooks, but the saddle is the only thing on that bike actually prob worth what you paid :mjlol:

they coulda atleast through some philwood hubs on that bytch for 3.5k. paying that much for a bike of that quality is just to be able to say you paid that much for a bike and look like you know what youre talking about, but to anyone who knows bikes, theyd def know you got robbed. :mjlol:

If every bike brand - Shinola, Raleigh, Vickers is trash without you even having any first or second hand experience of them then I don't know what to say. :yeshrug:

Yeah, you know more than me especially when Shinola is typically lauded by everybody.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
YMMV...but I'm not about to cheap out on quality on a bike, not with these rolling hills in GA and the vagaries of ATL+suburb surfaces. So much here will go from street to bike path to unpaved trail and back that a hybrid is pretty much the default you have to consider. A cheap bike will get chewed up and spit out around here inside of two weeks.