I had no idea bikes were expensive

Dreamchaser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I'm trying to buy a road bike for my dad and brother, but I can't find anything with a reasonable price. Anyone have tips on getting a road bike right now? I bought a road bike last year from a friend and he hooked it up on the price.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I'm trying to buy a road bike for my dad and brother, but I can't find anything with a reasonable price. Anyone have tips on getting a road bike right now? I bought a road bike last year from a friend and he hooked it up on the price.

Check out bikesdirect.com or bikeisland which is their sister company

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I second bikesdirect. Got my hybrid from there.

There is also a YouTube video of an avid cyclist that breaks down how impressed he is with his bikesdirect road bike (long)

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I second bikesdirect. Got my hybrid from there.

There is also a YouTube video of an avid cyclist that breaks down how impressed he is with his bikesdirect road bike (long)

Yup, since the pandemic, I've assembled a couple bikesdirect bikes for friends and relatives and we've always been really impressed with their quality and ease of purchasing. Just put this one together for my cousin last weekend.

JPSotbyl.jpg

waltthizzney

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I ride 500 hours a year, race semi pro, ride steel, chinese carbon, ect, ect, done over 200,000km to date

Chinese Carbon is great if you know what you are doing, I wouldn't recommend it to the average joe.

Buy something off Merlin, Ribble, Bikes Direct, Ect.

If I would have only one bike I would buy a steel road bike they are timeless

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I ride 500 hours a year, race semi pro, ride steel, chinese carbon, ect, ect, done over 200,000km to date

Chinese Carbon is great if you know what you are doing, I wouldn't recommend it to the average joe.

Buy something off Merlin, Ribble, Bikes Direct, Ect.

If I would have only one bike I would buy a steel road bike they are timeless

Steel is real :wow:

I can't stand riding aluminum frames :scust:

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
I would say if you want to ride...pay a decent(not exorbitant)amount of money for the bike

the differences in ride quality and comfort are noticeable as is the quality of the parts

but you dont have to spend a car downpayment on one

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I would say if you want to ride...pay a decent(not exorbitant)amount of money for the bike

the differences in ride quality and comfort are noticeable as is the quality of the parts

but you dont have to spend a car downpayment on one

Yeah, you'll definitely notice a difference if you cheap out on components. Frame's don't make as much of a difference as long as it's a material you like and it's sized properly.

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
Where you been? Back in the day any kid with a Norco and Haro was stuntin' in my neighbourhood.

Then it would get stolen a few months later. :mjlol:

Edit: GT's too. :whew:

Last edited:

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
That was just an estimate. I personally wouldn't recommend a (unbranded)China build. I built this one a few years ago but I just didn't feel comfortable flying down mountains at 50+ mph after hearing some horror stories. The unbranded China wheels are fine tho. These are still my main racing wheels for my new setup.

ra9JMb1_d.webp
Damn how do you feel comfortable going down that fast? I feel shook when I go downhill. I just feel like i'm going to lose control of my bike and crash. Apparently the fastest I've gone is 60km, according to Strava. Don't recall though.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Damn how do you feel comfortable going down that fast? I feel shook when I go downhill. I just feel like i'm going to lose control of my bike and crash. Apparently the fastest I've gone is 60km, according to Strava. Don't recall though.

Yeah, I've never been much of a speed freak either when it comes to bicycles haha

Hijo de luna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
I grew up racing go-carts and soapbox cars. I've always had a need for speed.