I had no idea bikes were expensive

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
@Stir Fry Make it make sense :damn:

I'm about to finalize the plans for my custom titanium bike I'm building specifically for ultra long-distance racing. I have a 250mi race coming up next year and I need something comfortable and fast. I was hoping the top tube would be much flatter but doing so would only add weight. I'm trying to decide whether or not to drop the seat stay a little for compliance or just leave it classic. How did you do your seat stays?

5BqqAEV.png

I would trust your builder, if he says 73 degrees is fine, then that's what I'd go with. His experience is what your paying for after all. If he says you can go slacker, I would probably go for it though. 73 is still considered steep and you'll be wanting all the comfort you can get when doing 250 miles in the saddle. 71-72 degrees is more conventional road geo from my understanding.

I wanted my top tube flatter too. Despite what the drawing shows, my TT came out with a slight slope to it. I've gotten used to it, though I still wish that it was as parrellel as my old frame was from time to time. The comfort far outweighs my slight nitpick on the aesthetic issue however. My seat tube is 75 degrees and is tuned for 50+ mile rides fwiw, and I come home without any aches afterwards.

Congrats on the new frame, custom builds really do make a world of difference, especially at the end of the ride lol.

x0iyplql_png_af87b7a47ad8c6c80d42418ce0a946e3f0e45d8c.jpg

Last edited:

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Stir Fry and other bike enthusiasts. I'm not a bike enthusiast and I'm not even looking to join the expensive side of the hobby, but I would like to start riding more (despite it almost being Winter in NYC). I'm the type that just wants to ride to avoid taking the train and bus. If I was visiting a mountain range, I know I'd need a more heavy duty bike, but I don't plan on visiting any mountain ranges any time soon.

My question is: if I buy a cheap bike ($300 and under) from Target or dikk's Sporting Goods, do you know if it would be easy to switch out the seat once I find a seat that I really like? Would I be able to screw off the seat it came with, and just screw the new one on? I'm assuming not every seat is going to match up with every bike, but there are probably alot that will "fit", right? I know that I've been over-thinking this bike purchase, so rather than try to buy "the perfect bike", I wanna see if I can just buy a regular/average one and switch to a better seat after.

Hijo de luna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
I would trust your builder, if he says 73 degrees is fine, then that's what I'd go with. His experience is what your paying for after all. If he says you can go slacker, I would probably go for it though. 73 is still considered steep and you'll be wanting all the comfort you can get when doing 250 miles in the saddle. 71-72 degrees is more conventional road geo from my understanding.

I wanted my top tube flatter too. Despite what the drawing shows, my TT came out with a slight slope to it. I've gotten used to it, though I still wish that it was as parrellel as my old frame was from time to time. The comfort far outweighs my slight nitpick on the aesthetic issue however. My seat tube is 75 degrees and is tuned for 50+ mile rides fwiw, and I come home without any aches afterwards.

Congrats on the new frame, custom builds really do make a world of difference, especially at the end of the ride lol.

x0iyplql_png_af87b7a47ad8c6c80d42418ce0a946e3f0e45d8c.jpg
Recieved my frame a week ago. Builder took about 2 months. I was going to have it painted but I think I'll leave it raw Ti for now. Total build should be under $3500.
QI6RinS_d.webp

EkwPY88_d.webp

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Recieved my frame a week ago. Builder took about 2 months. I was going to have it painted but I think I'll leave it raw Ti for now. Total build should be under $3500.
QI6RinS_d.webp

EkwPY88_d.webp

how much does a builder typically charge ?

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
Here's the bike and specifications.

The Dash - Gentlemen's Build

Outside of the frame, every other add on is o customizable by me and ordered from the manufacturer.

It was a bespoke process like a buying a suit.

Meaning we went down a list:
Saddles - list of options w/ range of prices- I picked a Brooks
Handlebars - list of options w/ range of prices - I picked a Brooks.
Do you want a front hub upgrade with built generator - Y/N - Yes - List of options w/ prices - I picked the Schmidt Dynamo Hub
Do you want a fixed or multispeed - Y/N - Yes - Checked the Sturmley Archer
Do you want fenders -Y/N - Yes - picked handmade wooden fenders from antique manufacturer in Colorado.
Front rack?
Back rack?
Wheels?
Bell?
Lights?

All the way down the line. It was a bespoke process and prices for each item was coming directly from the manufacturer and not Heritage. Heritage orders and assembles.

If I resoled each individual bike parts, I will get close to what I paid for the whole.

I also get free lifetime regular maintenance from Heritage and coffee.
The company you bought this from is now out of business. ..

:francis:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
@Stir Fry and other bike enthusiasts. I'm not a bike enthusiast and I'm not even looking to join the expensive side of the hobby, but I would like to start riding more (despite it almost being Winter in NYC). I'm the type that just wants to ride to avoid taking the train and bus. If I was visiting a mountain range, I know I'd need a more heavy duty bike, but I don't plan on visiting any mountain ranges any time soon.

My question is: if I buy a cheap bike ($300 and under) from Target or dikk's Sporting Goods, do you know if it would be easy to switch out the seat once I find a seat that I really like? Would I be able to screw off the seat it came with, and just screw the new one on? I'm assuming not every seat is going to match up with every bike, but there are probably alot that will "fit", right? I know that I've been over-thinking this bike purchase, so rather than try to buy "the perfect bike", I wanna see if I can just buy a regular/average one and switch to a better seat after.

Sorry, i never even saw this question. Yes, they are very easy to switch out and any seat will fit. You'll usually only need an allen or small crescent wrench to do so. Check out bikesdirect.com or bikeisland. They're a much better bang for your buck than what you'll find at target or walmart and they carry plenty of sub $300 models (tax and shipping is included as well).

Last edited: