I had no idea bikes were expensive

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah, if you walk into any of the Targets and Walmarts right now, the bike racks are empty since the pandemic hit
the bike trails are packed all day, every day in the DMV, can barely go a half mile full speed especially on nice days because of all the folks riding bikes with their kids especially
I tried buying a cheap bike from a Big Box store way back in March but everything was on back order. Had to overpay for one of the last Trek bikes left in stock. Because they bike shop didn't know when any of the new models would arrive from overseas.

The bike shops are so busy these days you have to call for an appointment. Since I got mine I've already spent money on accessories like crazy. I can see how this becomes an expensive hobby.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you want a bike you can rely on for the next 10-15 years. $1k is about the minimum you want to spend.

Breh those bikes you see junkies riding around are like 30+ yrs old. It’s a piece of aluminum and rubber tires. The cheapest new bike on the market today can last 10-15 yrs easy and that's with mfers never servicing them or anything. The bike I had as a teenager spends every waking moment of its life outside in all types of cold/hot weather and if I visit my parents I can still hop on that bytch and ride out.

Hijo de luna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Yeah, I like riding so much I ended up dropping about $4k into my current bike which was custom made. I didn't do it to go any faster but rather because I figured it would be something that I'll end up keeping for thirty years or so if all goes well. Custom fitted, I worked with the builder and chose the lugs and tubing all to my specific desires.

ZE83pPTl.jpg

FALZfbSl.jpg

x7nn0vNl.jpg

m85ZKli.jpg

I've decided on a custom titanium road frame for next race season. I like how your frame has the traditional horizontal top tube. I want mine to look just yours, I'll just need disc brakes and internal cable routing. I'm in the process of selling my 2006 Scion. I'll probably only get enough for it to pay for the frame alone:snoop:. My race bike is 8 years old. I get :huhldup:going 40+mph down hill on this old ass carbon frame.

Hx9AVNW_d.webp

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I've decided on a custom titanium road frame for next race season. I like how your frame has the traditional horizontal top tube. I want mine to look just yours, I'll just need disc brakes and internal cable routing. I'm in the process of selling my 2006 Scion. I'll probably only get enough for it to pay for the frame alone:snoop:. My race bike is 8 years old. I get :huhldup:going 40+mph down hill on this old ass carbon frame.

Hx9AVNW_d.webp

The top tube is the one area where the build didn't turn out exactly how I had envisioned it unfortunately. There's a slight slope to it and I wanted it perfectly level like my old cinelli was. Concessions had to be made to get the handling, fit, and toe overlap to work though.

18OGEAsl.jpg

xkRkx7Kl.jpg

livewire

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I ride a road bike....i like trek alot. If I was going to spend 1k plus on something new GIANT has some solid bikes. Dont sleep on offerup/craiglist deals. If the price is super fair someone will snag it before you get a chance to check it out/buy...

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
I've had the same bike for 15+ years.. It cost $1800 used
I can't really ride anymore due to knee issue, but I did have a few 5k years early on
Ive put in less than 700 miles so far this year.. Most of those were before May 1
I am pre- registered for local fall century ride.. I will be doing the "classic" course (modest hills) though
So :lupe:someone do a hot take..
please tell me how much i overpaid?!?!
Am i compensating for something??
The lbs charge me $30 for a tuneup..
Do they mock me behind my back???
$30 for a tuneup is plug
post the bike model you might not have overpaid...
$1800 is a decent price for a mid range bike