I had no idea bikes were expensive

cheek100

Truuu
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Them huffy & mongoose prices as shorties had us spoiled/fooled.
I wanted one of them mongooses so mf bad. My pops said I could get a bike for my bday :mjlit:and I knew EXACTLY where to get it. Dude saw the price tag and :stopitslime: we ended up at Kmart. That’s when I knew for sure we were not keeping up with the jones.
:win:But I made that mf work

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
i've been riding for two months now at least 2-4 days a week for at least an hour each time. How long is it gonna take to strengthen my calves? everybody passes me :picard: except the little kids:mjlol: .

i think i ride about 8-10 miles each cycling session, at least that what some route planners show. i've seen people on cycling forums talk about 12+ miles commutes :sadcam: or 2+ hours cycling sessions and i'm wondering if that comes from years of experience. How long do people typically ride for before they take a break? how long do they break for?

You just gotta keep at it. What style of gearing do you ride, spin or mash? I'm somewhere in between, and if you're on one extreme or the other, it will definitely hinder your performance. Notice that in @Bubba T 's response, he didn't say the person with the bigger gearing would have the advantage, but rather the person with the better gearing would, which is absolutely correct.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
You just gotta keep at it. What style of gearing do you ride, spin or mash? I'm somewhere in between, and if you're on one extreme or the other, it will definitely hinder your performance. Notice that in @Bubba T 's response, he didn't say the person with the bigger gearing would have the advantage, but rather the person with the better gearing would, which is absolutely correct.

i have this bike Node D8 | Tern Folding Bikes | United States

my primary concern was storage space. I'm thinking in 1-2 years once my fitness and endurance improves, i'll upgrade to a 26" roadbike or mountain bike. I'm encountering lots of rocks,glass and seashells on the trails/bike paths but luckily I haven't had any punctures.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps

my primary concern was storage space. I'm thinking in 1-2 years once my fitness and endurance improves, i'll upgrade to a 26" roadbike or mountain bike. I'm encountering lots of rocks,glass and seashells on the trails/bike paths but luckily I haven't had any punctures.

The size (radius) of those tires is why you're getting dusted lol. Basically a matter of gearing like me and @Bubba T said

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps

If you've got the space now, just get a regular sized bike. You've shown that you're dedicated to it. May as well start getting the most of it sooner than later.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
The size (radius) of those tires is why you're getting dusted lol. Basically a matter of gearing like me and @Bubba T said

damn :francis:

I ride using 4-6 gears but i do go up to the max 8th gear every time I go downhill and when i'm going the last mile home. I guess I mash when i'm on gear 3rd or 4th gear going uphill and i'm slow too when I do it which is like 30-40 mins into my ride.
I don't think I spin when on flat plains because i've lost my footing many times when i'm on low 1-3 gears.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
damn :francis:

I ride using 4-6 gears but i do go up to the max 8th gear every time I go downhill and when i'm going the last mile home. I guess I mash when i'm on gear 3rd or 4th gear going uphill and i'm slow too when I do it which is like 30-40 mins into my ride.
I don't think I spin when on flat plains because i've lost my footing many times when i'm on low 1-3 gears.

It's not so much the chain gears you're using, but rather it's the size of your wheels. Their small size doesn't roll as fast as bikes that have larger ones. Tire sizes also correlate with gearing ratios.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
If you've got the space now, just get a regular sized bike. You've shown that you're dedicated to it. May as well start getting the most of it sooner than later.

If i can get a used montague paratrooper sure but 2 months of cycling is too soon for me to consider myself dedicated. I don't want to lose my gains over the fall and winter so I'm looking at bike trainers to buy for later on but the really good recommendations are $300+. :gucci::hubie:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
If i can get a used montague paratrooper sure but 2 months of cycling is too soon for me to consider myself dedicated. I don't want to lose my gains over the fall and winter so I'm looking at bike trainers to buy for later on but the really good recommendations are $300+. :gucci::hubie:

Could you sell your folding bike and get a used road bike with a quick release front wheel that would work with your size constraints?

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Could you sell your folding bike and get a used road bike with a quick release front wheel that would work with your size constraints?

I really like this folding bike. the ability to put a bike in the back of a car trunk is very nice too. I still search periodically for a used paratrooper foldable bike since thats what i originally wanted and would have bought new if it wasn't sold out.
i guess i'll concentrate on my cycling endurance and purchase a new one in the spring time if i can do 30 miles trips since thats my overall goal.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I really like this folding bike. the ability to put a bike in the back of a car trunk is very nice too. I still search periodically for a used paratrooper foldable bike since thats what i originally wanted and would have bought new if it wasn't sold out.
i guess i'll concentrate on my cycling endurance and purchase a new one in the spring time if i can do 30 miles trips since thats my overall goal.

You like it/I love it. I won't try and talk you out of it anymore. Just know that's there isn't anything wrong with you, it's just the mechanical limitations/trade off of the design of the bike you have.