I gotta confess something. Been thinking a lot about it.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I like both, but they are clearly different genres. Starwars is closer to lord of the rings than star trek.

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Lucas took cues from many literary works and films

At its purest though, these two IPs are nothing alike. The storytelling principles and essence are completely different

You’re not telling me anything I don’t know with that statement (bolded). Dune deals with fanaticism, manipulation, idolatry, zealously, the dangers of mixing religion and politics, etc.

Paul Atreides is a villain and Luke Skywalker is a saint.

That said…

Desert planet
Desert worms
Spice
Telekinesis
Space witches
Mind control
Empire
Space war
Bloodlines
Princess Alia vs Princess Leia
Etc.

:comeon:

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
You’re not telling me anything I don’t know with that statement (bolded). Dune deals with fanaticism, manipulation, idolatry, zealously, the dangers of mixing religion and politics, etc.

Paul Atreides is a villain and Luke Skywalker is a saint.

That said…

Desert planet
Desert worms
Spice
Telekinesis
Space witches
Mind control
Empire
Space war
Bloodlines
Princess Alia vs Princess Leia
Etc.

:comeon:
Again, he took from alot of science fiction he liked. That’s not debatable. Stolen like in that clickbait is reaching though. Maybe Easter eggs or callbacks would be a better description.

Would you say Game of Thrones stole from Zelda or Lord of the Rings or the million other fantasy works before it. Some tropes are pervasive in genres. Dune certainly wasn’t the first to talk about space wars or bloodlines or telekinesis etc.