I admit i have changed my opinions on Basquiat :

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
Personally I’m a fan of hyper realism over abstract. I can appreciate both but hyperrealism is much more awe inspiring to me.

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
Personally I’m a fan of hyper realism over abstract. I can appreciate both but hyperrealism is much more awe inspiring to me.
There you have it. I think people esp Black people have been conditioned to not appreciate what they like and were forced to appreciate what the masses like. Therefore in art alot of us are just like whatever to the muse. But you are supposed to like what you like and stand on it. It's your right as a human. :salute:

Chuck Close was a hyperrealism artist but he made his work look like paintings instead of a photograph.

I seen some black artists who did hyperrealism and they even got small children I seen in Africa turning out great works of hyperrealism. Very skilled to do esp for a child.

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
There you have it. I think people esp Black people have been conditioned to not appreciate what they like and were forced to appreciate what the masses like. Therefore in art alot of us are just like whatever to the muse. But you are supposed to like what you like and stand on it. It's your right as a human. :salute:

Chuck Close was a hyperrealism artist but he made his work look like paintings instead of a photograph.

I seen some black artists who did hyperrealism and they even got small children I seen in Africa turning out great works of hyperrealism. Very skilled to do esp for a child.
I’ll look over a hyper realistic painting just appreciating how they essentially used the medium to trick your brain into seeing something that’s not really there. How they used oil to mimic shades, textures. The accuracy of an Anatomy, getting the right reflections from an imaginary light source. It’s dope to me in a way that abstract has never done. Even in your painting you posted with the pregnant lady, there’s a mix of both styles.

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
I’ll look over a hyper realistic painting just appreciating how they essentially used the medium to trick your brain into seeing something that’s not really there. How they used oil to mimic shades, textures. The accuracy of an Anatomy, getting the right reflections from an imaginary light source. It’s dope to me in a way that abstract has never done. Even in your painting you posted with the pregnant lady, there’s a mix of both styles.
It not tricking the brain...they are literally drawing, painting, sculpting what is shown. It's an exact copy. That's why we say..the muse is the art...you are simply copying it.
Picasso stopped doing realism once the camera was invented. He said that camera can do his job so he needed to do something else artistically...hence CUBISM. Not saying this to belittle realism or hyperrealism just saying the truth. It's a technical form of art.

africngiant

All Star
Daps
Because some people like realism or hyperrealism so surrealism, abstract expressionism looks beneath their tastes. But give them materials and tell them to attempt it and watch them fall...
they don’t appreciate art. this is as someone who’s had multiple drawing and paintings hung up in their high school. but i unfortunately stopped there lol

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
It not tricking the brain...they are literally drawing, painting, sculpting what is shown. It's an exact copy. That's why we say..the muse is the art...you are simply copying it.
Picasso stopped doing realism once the camera was invented. He said that camera can do his job so he needed to do something else artistically...hence CUBISM. Not saying this to belittle realism or hyperrealism just saying the truth. It's a technical form of art.
You’re basically saying it shows you can paint very well but it’s not creative. There’s skill in putting 3D to 2D in a believable way to the mind, whatever your media. Your brain is very good at knowing what’s real and what’s not and only great work can confuse what’s real and what’s not. I appreciate the ability to capture the natural physical world using outdated methods. As you say, it’s a technical form. especially when you’re creating something from the mind.

New technologies don’t undermine that for me, just new ways to illicit an emotion.

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
they don’t appreciate art. this is as someone who’s had multiple drawing and paintings hung up in their high school. but i unfortunately stopped there lol
Gotta get you back on that saddle breh. Congrats on your accomplishment. Having your school hang up your work is like getting trophy for sport or having ya name engraved. Why you stopped making art?

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
You’re basically saying it shows you can paint very well but it’s not creative. There’s skill in putting 3D to 2D in a believable way to the mind, whatever your media. Your brain is very good at knowing what’s real and what’s not and only great work can confuse what’s real and what’s not. I appreciate the ability to capture the natural physical world using outdated methods. As you say, it’s a technical form. especially when you’re creating something from the mind.

New technologies don’t undermine that for me, just new ways to illicit an emotion.
That's all that it shows. Very technical. Not creative. Correct. Art is about expression and being creative. Even Greek sculpture was very realistic but they kept it artistic and not an exact copy of their muse. Not to shyt on realism or hyperrealism, but it is what it is. They are literally copying. Exactly what they see. Not what can't be seen.

africngiant

All Star
Daps
Gotta get you back on that saddle breh. Congrats on your accomplishment. Having your school hang up your work is like getting trophy for sport or having ya name engraved. Why you stopped making art?
i just got lazy with it. growing up it was my natural thing to do i would just sit in a corner and draw for hours. i lost my imagination and discipline over the years
Fy6EwfjXsAESir-

this is the painting i got hung (terrible pic quality). definitely not as good as yours. im more of a drawer, above was one of my first paintings, it’s a whole different game and way harder. it gives you appreciation for abstract detailing

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
That's all that it shows. Very technical. Not creative. Correct. Art is about expression and being creative. Even Greek sculpture was very realistic but they kept it artistic and not an exact copy of their muse. Not to shyt on realism or hyperrealism, but it is what it is. They are literally copying. Exactly what they see. Not what can't be seen.
Creativity is relative. The world around you is the zenith. Some people choose to be as close to God as they can through their work than others.

That was a bar I can’t lie :heh:

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
Creole-House-On-Canal-Street-72x96-Mixed-Media-wood23.jpg

Let's take this work as an example. I combined multiple elements to create this: Cubism, realism, graffiti, and some eurocentric elements taken from Egyptian mythology.

The realism was from my muse. But I abstracted his image, because I didn't want to flat out copy her. In essence, she was the art already. I just wanted to recreate her in my image of her. Now I could've copied her exactly like she looked. But why? The camera can do that and do it better than anything I or them can ever do. Why compete with a camera when you are human? As technology advances we humans will lose what makes us human. Creativity.

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
i just got lazy with it. growing up it was my natural thing to do i would just sit in a corner and draw for hours. i lost my imagination and discipline over the years
Fy6EwfjXsAESir-

this is the painting i got hung (terrible pic quality). definitely not as good as yours. im more of a drawer, above was one of my first paintings but painting is a whole different game, way harder. it gives you appreciation for the abstract detail
I hate when people tell me that...I'm better than them or they not as good as me. This isn't a sport. It's Art. Ain't got shyt to do with being better. It's about expression and creativity. It's not objective.

Your work is good. You need to do it again. And repeatedly. If it calls answer.

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
Creativity is relative. The world around you is the zenith. Some people choose to be as close to God as they can through their work than others.

That was a bar I can’t lie :heh:
Not quite. Creativity is literally about creating..not copying. It because nuisance to copying is creating...but it's not...that includes mimicking, relaying or mirroring...it ain't creating. Changing things up and moving aspects...that's creativity.

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
Creole-House-On-Canal-Street-72x96-Mixed-Media-wood23.jpg

Let's take this work as an example. I combined multiple elements to create this: Cubism, realism, graffiti, and some eurocentric elements taken from Egyptian mythology.

The realism was from my muse. But I abstracted his image, because I didn't want to flat out copy her. In essence, she was the art already. I just wanted to recreate her in my image of her. Now I could've copied her exactly like she looked. But why? The camera can do that and do it better than anything I or them can ever do. Why compete with a camera when you are human? As technology advances we humans will lose what makes us human. Creativity.
But isn’t the creativity coming from how you’re creating the piece? You have to have a creative mindset to even achieve realism as you’re working from one less dimension. Even in sculpting you’re being creative because you’re using a much less malleable and diverse medium to achieve a realistic end.

Creativity is not just one thing creating abstract and out of the box pieces