I admit i have changed my opinions on Basquiat :

Grizzly

Home Run Hitter
Daps
Reppin
Bigupyuself
People have this misconception that Basquiat was this mysterious ass nikka that just stayed in the house all day, did art, never went outside, and only became famous through word of mouth. Nah. He was really outside tryna get on until shyt popped for him. His skill level is another conversation but dude was a hustler and was gonna get on by any means. That's what a lot of artists nowadays don't have.

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
People have this misconception that Basquiat was this mysterious ass nikka that just stayed in the house all day, did art, never went outside, and only became famous through word of mouth. Nah. He was really outside tryna get on until shyt popped for him. His skill level is another conversation but dude was a hustler and was gonna get on by any means. That's what a lot of artists nowadays don't have.

He was a hustler if I ever seen one. By any means he was gon get it. "No" wasn't his stop sign. He was gon geaux get it.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Those are elements and principals of art. It's always gonna be there cause hyperrealism is ART. I never denied this. But hyperrealism and realism is in fact technical. And photography is replication...the muse is the art you just took a picture of it. And besides in 2023 most photographers don't even develop their own film or even use a 35mm camera. So they lose that component of traditional photography. I have talks with photographers all the time about cellphones taking away from their craft. But that's another debate. And if I'm sit and edit a picture..I may as well just painted it or draw so I can recreate it.

The more you take out the humanity in art, the less it becomes art. It becomes mechanical, which isn't human. The process of making art should be human as much as possible.
I never said you didn’t. All art is mixing and emphasis/deemphasizing principle elements. Sculpting a model isn’t worse or better than an abstract painting of the same model. It’s the mind and skill set of the artist to elevate it.

I’m saying your bias towards certain elements is weird. Your style is heavy on composition and color in a similar way that hyper realism is, but you think people would dismiss realism based on photographs? People can appreciate both for their strength in differing approaches

A lot of art is made digitally now. Are you saying that because animation is made on computers, it’s worse now than golden age Disney hand-drawn( we are in a post Spiderverse/Pixar world)?

Film has its upsides and downsides. Digital didn’t change that.

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
I never said you didn’t. All art is mixing and emphasis/deemphasizing principle elements. Sculpting a model isn’t worse or better than an abstract painting of the same model. It’s the mind and skill set of the artist to elevate it.

I’m saying your bias towards certain elements is weird. Your style is heavy on composition and color in a similar way that hyper realism is, but you think people would dismiss realism based on photographs? People can appreciate both for their strength in differing approaches

A lot of art is made digitally now. Are you saying that because animation is made on computers, it’s worse now than golden age Disney hand-drawn( we are in a post Spiderverse/Pixar world)?

Film has its upsides and downsides. Digital didn’t change that.

I'm bias to realism and hyperrealism because it's EUROCENTRIC....and you are copying the muse...which is already the art.

It's a fact. You ain't gotta like it...learn to love it like my professor said after he made me draw the human skull 10 times.

And people can appreciate anything. But understand this....realism and hyperrealism is copying. It is what it is....

And applied art is not art....it's something but it ain't art. ART has media...it has texture...something printed by a machine is not art. Art comes from the human hand.

I'm ready to debate and provide examples..cause Imma teach you to get out of the eurocentric nonsense.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
I'm bias to realism and hyperrealism because it's EUROCENTRIC....and you are copying the muse...which is already the art.

It's a fact. You ain't gotta like it...learn to love it like my professor said after he made me draw the human skull 10 times.

And people can appreciate anything. But understand this....realism and hyperrealism is copying. It is what it is....

And applied art is not art....it's something but it ain't art. ART has media...it has texture...something printed by a machine is not art. Art comes from the human hand.

I'm ready to debate and provide examples..cause Imma teach you to get out of the eurocentric nonsense.
I’ve got my masters illustration/design degree with a minor in art history. You can keep your lessons. And we started with 100 compositions before starting an illustration

Have your bias. It’s just weird to me personally. Eurocentric superiority in arts is largely based on denigrating other art forms as lesser. Turning around and doing the same seems silly. The art form speaks for itself.

So you really think photography ( the act of simply imitating what the eye sees), not Dadaism or surrealist bent etc, is inferior as simple imitating the eye?

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
I’ve got my masters illustration/design degree with a minor in art history. You can keep your lessons. And we started with 100 compositions before starting an illustration

Have your bias. It’s just weird to me personally. Eurocentric superiority in arts is largely based on denigrating other art forms as lesser. Turning around and doing the same seems silly. The art form speaks for itself.

So you really think photography ( the act of simply imitating what the eye sees), not Dadaism or surrealist bent etc, is inferior as simple imitating the eye?
You are championing Eurocentric art when you keep honking on about Realism and Hyperrealism....Africans did not do nor participated in realism....not even the Egyptians.

That's what the damned Renaissance arts was...REALISM...and you still wanna argue with me about it lol...and you got an art degree??? You got it from a white school cause no HBCU would allow you to walk without teaching you this.

You know doggone well Photography is about finding a muse and taking a picture....they are glorified art picture takers. I said it!

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
You are championing Eurocentric art when you keep honking on about Realism and Hyperrealism....Africans did not do nor participated in realism....not even the Egyptians.

That's what the damned Renaissance arts was...REALISM...and you still wanna argue with me about it lol...and you got an art degree??? You got it from a white school cause no HBCU would allow you to walk without teaching you this.

You know doggone well Photography is about finding a muse and taking a picture....they are glorified art picture takers. I said it!
Wow. I’m not even a photography fan and that’s a heck of an opinion.

I’m not arguing anything with you. I’m just picking your brain cause I’ve never heard these views before. It’s interesting on some levels

i don’t champion any particular view. Technic and medium/genre don’t matter to me(or less so). No artist is a master at everything(everywhere all at once). I value being able to defend your series and themes. I don’t care if your Gauguin paining abstract triangle boobs over whatever Renaissance portrait realism reinforcing the same Eurocentric beauty and cultural standards with a exotic Orientalist/native beauty standard

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
Wow. I’m not even a photography fan and that’s a heck of an opinion.

I’m not arguing anything with you. I’m just picking your brain cause I’ve never heard these views before. It’s interesting on some levels

i don’t champion any particular view. Technic and medium/genre don’t matter to me(or less so). No artist is a master at everything(everywhere all at once). I value being able to defend your series and themes. I don’t care if your Gauguin paining abstract triangle boobs over whatever Renaissance portrait realism reinforcing the same Eurocentric beauty and cultural standards with a exotic Orientalist/native beauty standard
I'm dead serious tho lol. I hate photography these days. Remember when we was in UG and took photography class? We actually had to work to produce photographs. Now the field is a joke and waste of time. They don't develop their own film, they just be pressed to get MP and lenses. I can take a 35mm and put half of the photographers to shame. They use to say dumb shyt like, "You gotta have the eye to do photography..." naw man...you gotta be fukking lucky and be around to get the "shot". Ain't no fukking shot no more.

Ain't no Van Der Zees outchere! Gordon Parks? Where they at? Bunch wannabes with expensive ass cameras with a flash drive uploading the files to Ritz Cameras! Am I lying???

And I wanna destroy Eurocentric art...that's why I add their religious imagery to Vodou God's and Goddesses.

I'm here to collect skulls and conquer.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Vodouchildblues-Mixed-Mediaon-Wood-36x48-2021.jpg
I fukk with this. Would pay for a framed canvas of it.

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
I fukk with this. Would pay for a framed canvas of it.
Maaan that baby is somewhere in Cali on someone wall right now. That was when I started to understand cubism and wanted to combine realism with cubism. There are like four different models used at different angle. In the face you have 3 different faces and I wish I never sold it.

You can see my love for big black areolas in it too. But I wanted it to look like a fertility figurine too. And I love Afro Puffs.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Maaan that baby is somewhere in Cali on someone wall right now. That was when I started to understand cubism and wanted to combine realism with cubism. There are like four different models used at different angle. In the face you have 3 different faces and I wish I never sold it.

You can see my love for big black areolas in it too. But I wanted it to look like a fertility figurine too. And I love Afro Puffs.
Let me know when you put together something similar in the future. I am looking for paintings for my wall so an original would be nice. Do you have a site where I could browse for more?

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
Let me know when you put together something similar in the future. I am looking for paintings for my wall so an original would be nice. Do you have a site where I could browse for more?
I'm working on building one now. But I post works on my IG at King_Kamala61. I have paintings and art on paper available too and I include shipping and handling in price. And all my work comes with a COA and my signature crowned skull.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Basquiat truly was one of a kind. I bought a coffee table book on his artwork back in 2005 and was hooked. That's when I was all about collecting street art, graffiti, fashion, sneaker, and skate magazines. And his work kind of intersects with all those unique subcultures that spawned in the 80s in the same way Keith Haring did.

Which is probably why both are mentioned more in the modern art conversation than many others.

Basquiat wasn't just about style...he was about the whole package. His rise wncapsulated a very exciting time in the art world where it seemed there was more opportunity than most. And rather than have no one follow in his footsteps...there are more Black artists than ever who credit his work. His image. His legacy. That's what it is...all the people who he inspired.

He did all of this in 27 years on this planet.
:wow:

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
If Basquiat came onto the scene as a classical tenured artist not of the streets, he wouldn't of made as big of an impact as he did. He was one of those people that made you realize, you could make art. You didn't have to be some white person who went to Wesleyan, NYU, or Hoftsra...you could just be a brotha from NYC and make your mark on the world. Dude was homeless for crying out loud.

Do you really need a fancy shmanyc art school education to be a dope artist? No. All you need is heart, hunger and vision. And confidence in what you make.

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
If Basquiat came onto the scene as a classical tenured artist not of the streets, he wouldn't of made as big of an impact as he did. He was one of those people that made you realize, you could make art. You didn't have to be some white person who went to Wesleyan, NYU, or Hoftsra...you could just be a brotha from NYC and make your mark on the world. Dude was homeless for crying out loud.

Do you really need a fancy shmanyc art school education to be a dope artist? No. All you need is heart, hunger and vision. And confidence in what you make.
Basquiat was educated tho. He knew art history to a "T". That's a misconception that you don't need art school education, cause his museum visits were education enough. Like how Malcolm could spit history and never had a high school diploma yet alone a college degree. If you can read, you can be educated and Jean-Michel Basquiat was a well read brother who was a museum rat.

He took elements of abstract expressionism, dadaism, and added color of the islands mixed with street art and street media. He was also into Sci fi and films....ol boy was a need on tha cool. He was even into comic books and alchemy.