'Hunger Games' Star Criticizes Taylor Swift, Madonna for "Rampant" Appropriation of Black Culture

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Her fanbase is all lily white girls, she's a country music artist from rural Pennsylvania. She's white as mayonnaise. I dont place her in the Miley Cyrus/Katy Perry/Iggy Azaela category off of one hip hop influenced song. Listing her was a stretch
This nikka cape used so much. Take ya Cape off, take it to the dry cleaners and take a break superman.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
wiki says her dad is Danish, but i can't find any pics of them together :smugfavre:

AMANDLA-STERNBERG_510.jpg

tumblr_m3rp2d35591rq4emto1_500.jpg

she seems like a good kid. She's good in my book.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Hunger Games star Amandla Stenberg is calling out several of today's biggest pop stars.

The 16-year-old actress, who played Rue in the first installment of the popular film franchise, recorded a video for her high school history class in which she criticizes white celebrities and singers for borrowing from black culture to make money. The video, entitled "Don't Cash Crop My Cornrows," was posted to her Tumblr page several months ago but has recently gone viral.

Read MoreWhen Will Those Diverse Superhero Movies Arrive? (Opinion)
"[In the 2010s,] pop stars and icons adopted black culture as a way of being edgy and gaining attention," Stenberg says. "In 2013, Miley Cyrus twerks and uses black women as props, and then in 2014, in one of her videos called 'This Is How We Do,' Katy Perry uses Ebonics and hand gestures and eats watermelons while wearing cornrows before cutting inexplicably to a picture of Aretha Franklin. So as you can see, cultural appropriation was rampant."

The video features clips of Kesha and Kim Kardashian wearing cornrows and Madonna with a grill over her teeth. Footage from Taylor Swift's hip-hop influenced "Shake It Off" video is also shown.

Stenberg, who has also appeared in 2011's Colombiana and on the Fox drama Sleepy Hollow, addresses that Azealia Banks criticized Iggy Azalea for not speaking out after a grand jury decided not to indict the police officer who put Eric Garner in a chokehold.

Read MoreChris Rock Pens Blistering Essay on Hollywood's Race Problem: "It's a White Industry"
"I've been seeing this question a lot on social media, and I think it's really relevant: 'What would America be like if we loved black people as much as we love black culture?' " Stenberg says at the end of the video.

The full video can be seen here.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/hung...s-taylor-swift-madonna-rampant-040009929.html
the bold is some truth serum.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I told nikkas on here, the mixed girls go harder for the movement sometimes than full black people. :sas2:

In typical Coli fashion, I was labeled a liar and all mixed people are c00ns looking for white validation though. :skip:

Hope she doesn't get black balled because of this, but you know how white people are. :francis:
The mixed dudes tend to, but i've seen plenty of mixed chicks get defensive/dismissive about race because of their white parent.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I like Taylor Swift, I'm not gonna deny it :yeshrug: (the irony of this smiley)
You can like whoever you want, but this is pretty embarrassing if you are bumping music directed at 8th graders.

With that said, "twerking" is definitely a dance derived from African and Caribbean culture. It's not like we're walking around thinking some pro-Africa shyt when it happens, but it definitely is from black people. People's response is not that white people are doing it, but the fact that they it is not something "edgy" when white people do it. A lot of you guys are confusing not wanting to be associated with something, with it having nothing to do with you. @Piff Perkins what you're saying is nuts.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
You can like whoever you want, but this is pretty embarrassing if you are bumping music directed at 8th graders.

With that said, "twerking" is definitely a dance derived from African and Caribbean culture. It's not like we're walking around thinking some pro-Africa shyt when it happens, but it definitely is from black people. People's response is not that white people are doing it, but the fact that they it is not something "edgy" when white people do it. A lot of you guys are confusing not wanting to be associated with something, with it having nothing to do with you. @Piff Perkins what you're saying is nuts.

I'll take my L on this. I know hip dances originate in Africa (and South America), and while I still don't think "twerking" is black culture I can at least appreciate and acknowledge the origin story.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Whenever race is discussed people often derail the conversation. Who cares about if twerking is black or not. You're attacking a piece of her argument thinking it invalidates or weakens the whole. The point is that when we do something it's seen as having no value, but whenever famous white people do it, it's suddenly great. Its something that's been happening for years and needs to stop. Some people are taking a thread where a young celebrity isn't c00ning and ruining it by arguing trivial elements.

I mean lets take a moment to see how many misconceptions and stereotypes are being addressed here. On the coli I've seen many people accuse black women of bedwenching and light skinned/mixed people of c00ning yet what are we seeing here?
1.A person that is calling out white supremacy in the media
2.A black female calling out white supremacy
3.A mixed person with a black mother and white father who is not afraid to go in on white people and identify as black

all in one. This is beautiful. In a world where the likes of T.I. and Kendrick Lamar are caping for white women who don't give a fukk about black people but are all too eager to steal our shyt and make money off it, here is a person whose career is still young basically hitting everyone with the :manny: and speaking with common sense and morality, not giving a shyt if it will fukk with her money or her so called 'golden opportunity' to become rich and famous for entertaining white people. How any of you can feel anything other than pride for this astounds me.

Jen The Prude

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Daps
Reppin
OVO/France
Blackballed.

My initial thoughts exactly. She clearly must not care about her career, especially coming for Taylor like that.

TSwift is petty and never forgets...that's my twin. :to:

Love her or hate her, Taylor isn't trying to be anyone but herself. She seems to be pretty comfortable and successful in her element. That Shake It Off video was clearly made in jest and she covered various trends.