'Hunger Games' Star Criticizes Taylor Swift, Madonna for "Rampant" Appropriation of Black Culture

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Amandla Stenberg :patrice:

*googles "Amandla Stenberg parents"*

9084019.jpg
:francis:

*edit* i realize now that's Jeff Bridges....y'all can stop quoting me now. she still gotta white daddy tho
Is that the dude from Men Who stare at goats ?!!! :russ:

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
She's been in something other than Hunger Games and Columbiana? :lupe:
Idk I've never heard of her til today. Cause I'm not a teenager. But, if she's smart she'll use her base. Black folks. That's how you succeed and speak your mind. Look at Corey Holcomb and Tariq. They are entertainers that use their black audience so they can say what they want and not be black balled.

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Idk I've never heard of her til today. Cause I'm not a teenager. But, if she's smart she'll use her base. Black folks. That's how you succeed and speak your mind. Look at Corey Holcomb and Tariq. They are entertainers that use their black audience so they can say what they want and not be black balled.
I mean, in theory yeah. Can't really put Corey into that because he doesn't need Hollywood to do his thing, he'll live off comedy. Same thing for Tariq, he has other things to live off. Even Monique who has been blackballed can still bounce back on her comedy. This little girl, as far as I know, doesn't have anything other than acting. She has nothing to offer her base other than perhaps touring the Chitlin' circuit at worst and Tyler Perry films at best.

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
We wouldn't be getting killed every 8 hours by police...that's for sure.

It's seems all we're worth in this society is our ability to sing and dance and entertain and shoot touchdowns and score three pointers just to make rich white people even richer. If we don't got the ability to do that, then we're as good as dead in their eyes or better off in prison.

But what can you expect coming from a country where black people were slaves longer than the actual country has been in existence?

Psalm 137
3 For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song; and they that wasted us required of us mirth, saying, Sing us one of the songs of Zion.

Oh, but we are not Israelites, right? :sas2:

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont think Taylor Swift appropriates black culture because she made one hip hop influenced song :mjlol:

That girl is as white as it gets but this is the reason I'd like us to have less of a media presence. While we're in the spotlight all the damn time, doing whatever for the whole world to see, Indians/Asians are chilling in the backround building

:dahell:

What the fukk does that mean?

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
She makes a good point though I don't see how Taylor Swift is appropriating black music.
I see no problem with someone making hip hop inspired music unless they're adopting things from the environment they've never been apart of to make a mockery out of it or a quick buck.
And :mjlol:at people in here being so attached to a dance where you shake your ass.
I can guarantee you that no one who twerks does so thinking about the cultural implications or history of it, the only goal is to shake their ass and it's ridiculous seeing people take that as a sign of black pride.
It's always awkward reading when these black celebrities speak out about stuff that relates to the black experience in america not because of what they say but when thecoli militants come in and start trying to attach their bigotry to the belief like on page one in this thread or in the To Pimp a Butterfly thread (though it wasn't the majority).

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
Blackballed.

:heh: Her father is a khazar. She is an Edomite, she is not getting blackballed. What is so great about today's "black" culture that it needs to be protected or redeemed? It has become the great destructive tool used by people like her father against our people.

Last edited:

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
Wow we own twerking, what a cultural accomplishment :blessed:

:beli:
no body said it was a cultural accomplishment. why you new nikkas love being obtuse?:what:

Fact is, it's still a black culture and these white bytches are the only ones to Capitalize of it because their fellow cacs think they made it hot when they ain't have shyt to do with it. wtf

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps

If you think any male or female in this video is worried about any African ancestry this dance may have....:laff:

All twerking is is shaking your ass (primarily in a strip club). That's all it ever was. "Twerking" was just what we southerners called that shyt.

Miley Cyrus does it and now white America cares about it and overzealous nikkas try to cop pleas talking about its a part of our culture

Man go head on with the foolishness :dead:

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

If you think any male or female in this video is worried about any African ancestry this dance may have....:laff:

All twerking is is shaking your ass (primarily in a strip club). That's all it ever was. "Twerking" was just what we southerners called that shyt.

Miley Cyrus does it and now white America cares about it and overzealous nikkas try to cop pleas talking about its a part of our culture

Man go head on with the foolishness :dead:

The hilarity of y'all not being around black people is hilarious. Twerking is literally one of the only dances men and wknen do together at a party, club etc. Lmaoo y'all lame as hell. It is not mostly strip clubs you damn lames and before you come at me Lil nikka. Remember all the real black people agree with me because its in our culture unlike you cacs and c00ns. Square ass nikkas man.