How will Joe Biden GOVERN? General Biden Administration F**kery Thread

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
How Biden stimulus bill will target homelessness
Biden wants to get 130,000 people off the street in the next 12 to 18 months
Housing and Urban Development Secretary Marcia L. Fudge speaks during a press briefing at the White House, Thursday, March 18, 2021, in Washington. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)
By
Tracy Jan
April 8, 2021 at 7:52 p.m. UTC

Housing Secretary Marcia L. Fudge on Thursday unveiled nearly $5 billion in new grants to states and local governments across the country for rental assistance, the development of affordable housing and other services to help people experiencing or on the verge of homelessness.

The infusion of money to reduce homelessness, part of the $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package that President Biden signed in March, is the latest example of how the administration is using the American Rescue Plan to enact a sweeping anti-poverty agenda amid the pandemic.

“Let me be clear. These funds could not come at a more critical time,” Fudge said.

The former Ohio congresswoman appeared over Zoom with Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, and Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin.

The grants, which must be spent by 2030, can be used to provide temporary or permanent housing, including buying and converting hotels and motels so people who are homeless could have a more private and safe place to live than in congregate shelters, Fudge said. The grants can also pay for housing for people fleeing domestic violence. The money will be allocated through a Housing and Urban Development program designed to create affordable housing for low-income families.

Hotels sit vacant during the pandemic. But some locals don’t want homeless people moving in.

This $5 billion in grants is the first of two funding streams to address homelessness in the American Rescue Plan. In the coming weeks, Fudge expects to announce how an additional $5 billion in emergency housing vouchers will be allocated.

Advertisement
“With this strong funding, along with additional emergency rental vouchers that we will be announcing soon, communities across the country will have the resources needed to give homes to the people who have had to endure the covid-19 pandemic without one,” Fudge said.

While these dollars deliver near-term relief to homeless individuals and families and those at risk of losing their homes, Fudge said Biden’s $2 trillion American Jobs Plan, unveiled last week, would bring additional funding necessary to address homelessness and housing instability. Biden’s jobs and infrastructure plan would include $213 billion for housing programs, including $40 billion to improve public housing.

The nation’s homeless population grew to 580,000 individuals, up 2 percent from the previous year, according to HUD’s latest count, taken on a single night in January 2020.

Advertisement
The number, released last month, does not factor in the impact of the pandemic when millions of Americans lost their jobs, fell behind on rent and faced the possibility of eviction despite state and federal moratoriums. Most at risk of being evicted are Black and Latino households, according to multiple studies.

“We know the pandemic has only made the crisis worse,” Fudge said. “So, while Americans were told to stay safe by staying home last year, more than half a million individuals and families had no way to do so because they did not have a home.”

Trump pushing for major crackdown on homeless camps in California, with aides discussing moving residents to government-backed facilities

Fudge, in a White House press briefing last month, said she expects to use the stimulus money to get as many as 130,000 homeless people off the streets over the next 12 to 18 months.

Much of the money will target communities in California, New York, Florida and Texas. More than half of all people experiencing homelessness live in those four states, according to the 2020 count. One in four homeless individuals in the country lived in either New York City or Los Angeles.

President Donald Trump in 2019 had ordered White House officials to address homelessness in Los Angeles and other cities, citing years of failed Democratic leadership that he said led to sustained poverty and crime. Among the ideas that were being considered: razing existing tent camps for the homeless, creating new temporary facilities and refurbishing existing government facilities.

Fudge said 651 grantees will be notified via letters over the next week on how to access the funds. As the former mayor of Warrensville Heights, Ohio, Fudge said local jurisdictions are best positioned to decide how to use the money. But she said she believes permanent housing should be prioritized over congregate homeless shelters and that the majority of the funding will be used to build as many as 32,000 housing units.

“Shelters are not our answer. We do not want them to build shelters,” said Fudge, calling shelters “unsafe as it relates to covid” and unfit for providing people the dignity they deserve. “We’re hopeful the shelters are going to go away as a consequence of what we’re doing today.”

She said the Biden administration also plans to level the playing field for Americans who want to buy a home by providing down payment assistance for people to move from public housing to homeownership.

“We will make sure those who can afford a mortgage are put in a position to be able to buy a home,” Fudge said. “Right now we have banks who don’t want to lend to people to buy a home for less than $50,000″ — homes, she said, that “poor people” can afford, with monthly mortgage payments often lower than rent.

Brown emphasized that in Cleveland and other communities outside of expensive coastal metropolises, federal down payment assistance would go a long way toward helping more low-income families attain homeownership.

“That will mean we’d be more likely to attract grocery stores and transit stops that will make their lives better,” he said.

Fudge said she is optimistic that the Biden administration will be able to “eradicate homelessness” by building more permanent housing and making homeownership accessible to more low-income Americans.

“I’m working in an administration where the president and the vice president have made it a priority and have basically said to me, ‘Let’s find a way to do it,’” she said.
This is a great start to addressing the unhoused crisis.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I will say it again, THESE ARE POPULAR IN WEST VIRGINIA. HE IS VOTING FOR HIS OWN PERSONAL INTERESTS!

I can raise the font size if it's not clearer.

And lastly, his positions doesn't help him or the Democratic party.

I mean yea. His mentor was a former KKK member and his daughter is the CEO of the company that makes epipens. Manchin is not some a lovable Democrat that likes to straddle the fence. He’s a rich a$$hole that used to hang with legit white supremacists.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I mean yea. His mentor was a former KKK member and his daughter is the CEO of the company that makes epipens. Manchin is not some a lovable Democrat that likes to straddle the fence. He’s a rich a$$hole that used to hang with legit white supremacists.
My point still stands. I’d rather have an enemy that sides with me 32% of the time than one that sides with the other party 97% of the time.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Other than complaining, what is the acute solution to the problem Joe manchin poses right now? This is HL so I’m sure the answers will be plentiful.

Getting dumb Americans to stop playing zig zag on the down ballot in 2022 :snoop: Biden can pass at least 2-3 bills total via reconciliation between this year and next year, so that’s plenty to hang your hat on as a victory come mid term. We just need to pick up 2 extra Senate seats and he nor the other broad matter going forward.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My point still stands. I’d rather have an enemy that sides with me 32% of the time than one that sides with the other party 97% of the time.

Agreed. Dems need to get more seats so he can’t play kingmaker anymore. It’s ultimately the voters fault for putting orange man out but not going Dem down the ticket.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I will say it again, THESE ARE POPULAR IN WEST VIRGINIA. HE IS VOTING FOR HIS OWN PERSONAL INTERESTS!

I can raise the font size if it's not clearer.

And lastly, his positions doesn't help him or the Democratic party.
Remember when Bernie said he’d start a movement in Kentucky to pressure McConnell? This is precisely how it would turn out. Failure. Manchin is a numerical ally and it’s the best we will get.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
You acting like the republicans don't have Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski. The difference was the republicans had a majority large enough that their contrarian party members could at times be allowed to vote against the party at times and not impact anything.
They voted for everything bro, what are you saying?
Compare: Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) and Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.)

Compare: Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.)

Compare: Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.)

his jr senator votes with Mitch 97% of the time.

He votes against her and consequently Mitch 35% of the time. Let’s dump the guy that votes with the democrats 35% of the time and replace him with someone that votes with them 3% of the time. Sounds great.
literally no one is making this point.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Agreed. Dems need to get more seats so he can’t play kingmaker anymore. It’s ultimately the voters fault for putting orange man out but not going Dem down the ticket.
It's a tragedy they couldn't pick up one more seat. Cunningham should have kept his dikk in his pants till he got that seat.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They voted for everything bro, what are you saying?

literally no one is making this point.
Literally people acting like we'd be better off without Manchin. I beg to differ. shyt if I could have a Joe Manchin in Mitch McConnell's seat I'd take that too. In places the dems have a snowball's chance in hell of winning otherwise hell yeah I'd take a Joe Manchin type in that seat. Now if this was Cali or New York get him the hell outta there.