How much trouble is Sony really in?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
yall should understand content isn't the issue. if there is trouble (likely) it's the badly aged way to deliver it

been saying for a while "the fight for the living room" is stupid as shyt when everyone has moved into the 3 feet in front of their faces for entertainment

you don't even need an xbox for game pass
As long as people continue to consume content the way they do now it's all good. If I don't even have to buy a console anymore to play the games then the $500 I spend on the console buys me into the service of Game Pass for about 4 years. For that 4 years I get that instant library and all Microsoft Studios Games day 1.

For a disc based PS5 and 1 game that's damn near 5 years of Game Pass. You can use your PC instead of a console and/or stream via xCloud to other devices. I can't believe that anybody needs it explained to them why that's a problem for Sony.

The real issue is all these studios Microsoft has purchased can't just drop games on a dime. It's going to be a ramp up to the content but these are fairly quality studios that have made known good to excellent games. Also Microsoft has purchased a lot of them and all indications are they'll be adding more.

These other companies are just going to have a problem competing with that. Microsoft as a company did Sony's entire year's profits in a quarter. Hell Microsoft just wrote a check for 75% of Sony's profits last year to buy a company in one swoop. A company with those level of recourses is looking to disrupt the gaming industry business model and the CEO is all in on it.

Companies like Sony and Nintendo depend on their gaming divisions to carry the companies. Xbox doesn't carry Microsoft as a company at all. These other companies aren't interested in getting into an arms race with Microsoft to build out a loss leading streaming service. If they don't start thinking about how to counter the value proposition Game Pass offers in the future they aren't going to be able to compete with it.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Imagine telling a company making record profits 3 years in a row
:jbhmm:

"The Japanese electronics and entertainment conglomerate reported group profits down by 36% to $5.34 billion (JPY582 billion) for the 2019-2020 financial year that ended in March. Group revenues were down 5% at $75.7 billion (JPY8. 26 trillion). ... 50 trillion) for the financial year ending March 31, 2020."

profits down 36% last year, some how record profit ? :jbhmm:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
imagine thinking that just because you made record making profits last year means you'll make profits the following years. Especially in this climate of change

Sony profits were down 36% in for the fiscal year 2019-2020 , I have no clue where he got record profits from that :heh:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
People don’t do that broke boy shyt breh. That’s just you. :mjlol:

Most people just set their subscriptions and don’t think about them anymore.

Meaches stimmy check for his 5 kids must of came through, talking about broke boy shyt :laff: you gotta be the brokest of broke boys if meachthefukkingmonster is calling what you doing broke boy shyt :wow:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Meaches stimmy check for his 5 kids must of came through, talking about broke boy shyt :laff: you gotta be the brokest of broke boys if meachthefukkingmonster is calling what you doing broke boy shyt :wow:
Oh wussup breh you still on this shyt I see.

Aint heard from you in a minute. You still living in your homies basement??

I been doing pretty good. Stimmy balling I don’t have to juggle/share my subscription services anymore :blessed:

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
but I wanna be able to say I saw the writing on the wall before all you nikkas did

:gucci:

Just covertly, over time, drop a hot take in every direction and then bring it up later :mjlit:

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
Not true. Neither of them have enough games or enough money to purchase games for a Gamepass like venture.

That’s why Microsoft HAD to buy Bethesda and will buy/build more studios. You need a ton of content to make Gamepass work and that’s a huge investment Sony and especially Nintendo will not/can’t make.
I think Nintendo has the classic catalogue on lock. If they can get they're new console to play games from every past Nintendo console and handheld, from SNES to DS to GameCube to Wii u, they could have Game Pass subscription model, but Nintendo is too incompetent and their infrastructure is too archaic to create something like that.

So they could have all their classic shyt on a game pass type of service, while still selling 40 million copies of the new Animal Crossing game. That way they make money off their new games while also gaining additional revenue from their old titles.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I think Nintendo has the classic catalogue on lock. If they can get they're new console to play games from every past Nintendo console and handheld, from SNES to DS to GameCube to Wii u, they could have Game Pass subscription model, but Nintendo is too incompetent and their infrastructure is too archaic to create something like that.

So they could have all their classic shyt on a game pass type of service, while still selling 40 million copies of the new Animal Crossing game. That way they make money off their new games while also gaining additional revenue from their old titles.
If a Game Pass type service isn't adding new games at a steady clip it doesn't work. Nintendo isn't putting their major games on a streaming service. Their business model is to sell them direct to customers. Same with Sony. Jim Ryan went on record admitting to a Game Pass model being something that doesn't work for Sony.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
not sure why someone who admitted sony is in trouble yesterday is now adopting an “everything is ‘fine’...” attitude.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Not sure why people are suggesting gaming companies that are twice as successful should adopt a new way of selling games with no proof of concept.
We've seen over and over again companies exist in a field they dominate and when an early disruption comes they reject it because they hold control of the field the way it is. As that disruption grows it erodes their control and after a tipping point that once dominate company can't recover from them ignoring the disruption instead of responding to it.

As a loyal Sony customer I want them to figure this out. I think them continuing to ignore this is a huge mistake. Right now they can far more easily deal with Game Pass. It's adding 2-3 million subs a quarter and it's not even at a level where it's good yet. It's a great value but it's not hit it's stride yet.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
not sure why someone who admitted sony is in trouble yesterday is now adopting an “everything is ‘fine’...” attitude.

So in order to mitigate the rising cost of games they should start giving them away for free?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
We've seen over and over again companies exist in a field they dominate and when an early disruption comes they reject it because they hold control of the field the way it is. As that disruption grows it erodes their control and after a tipping point that once dominate company can't recover from them ignoring the disruption instead of responding to it.

As a loyal Sony customer I want them to figure this out. I think them continuing to ignore this is a huge mistake. Right now they can far more easily deal with Game Pass. It's adding 2-3 million subs a quarter and it's not even at a level where it's good yet. It's a great value but it's not hit it's stride yet.

Gamepass still isn’t a proven model of success. Microsoft has yet to put their own AAA games on the service which is what you’re asking sony and nintendo to do