How long do you think Blu Ray's will last before we replace them with something else?

Theabbot

#DemBootymeats
Daps
Reppin
Duuuuuvaaaaal!!
again, that's like saying if you own a CD player, you would never listen to a 128kbps mp3

I understand you have a personal preference regarding these things. but it's a complete non-sequitur to suggest that just because someone has a nice HT system, they would "only want the best possible sound/picture"
Dude, that whole statement is fukked up. By home theater I'm talking about a setup investment of THOUSANDS of dollars. Not a home theater in a box bullshyt. Why WOULDN'T someone want the best pic/sound quality on a system like that??
And yes, I would NEVER listen to a 128k rip. :scusthov:

7oclock

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I should not have addressed the forum in the manner I did because I KNow some people like having richer video quality and/or audio quality - the value proposition is not there for ME but I can understand those who want it and want it legally. So hopefully this won't lead to an argument.

But I do believe discs are dinosaurs and the future obviously is streaming, at some point they will be able to stream 1080p even compressed; so from a value proposition standpoint it wouldn't make sense for me to invest money into DVD players and DVDs. I've owned 1 DVD player in my life, still have it, and haven't used it in 7 years

Hades

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
optical discs can get scratched or damaged too. you can always backup HDD's
I know that. I'm asking about his specific method as he has no physical media to easily obtain another digital copy. I will say that it's annoying when people bring up discs getting scratched. I have discs from over 10 years ago that I have scratched to hell from playing that ripped years later with no problem at all. People say that as if discs are flimsily made or something.

Theabbot

#DemBootymeats
Daps
Reppin
Duuuuuvaaaaal!!
How do you deal with a drive that could lose difficult to recover media?
Its kinda like Dinero in Heat. If you can't walk away from everything without a second thought..... I just don't get that attached to what I have as far as media goes. If I wanted it again I would just "re-acquire" a new image of the movie and keep it moving.

Hades

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its kinda like Dinero in Heat. If you can't walk away from everything without a second thought..... I would just "re-acquire" a new image of the movie and keep it moving.
I get what you mean. So you don't have any back ups of more important stuff? That "living on the edge" lifestyle is too brave for me.

Theabbot

#DemBootymeats
Daps
Reppin
Duuuuuvaaaaal!!
I get what you mean. So you don't have any back ups of more important stuff? That "living on the edge" lifestyle is too brave for me.
Nah, not really. I don't have any movies that I would freak out over if I lost a drive. Now pictures are a completely different story. I have backed up family pictures to BR discs before. Stored them away.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Dude, that whole statement is fukked up. By home theater I'm talking about a setup investment of THOUSANDS of dollars. Not a home theater in a box bullshyt. Why WOULDN'T someone want the best pic/sound quality on a system like that??
And yes, I would NEVER listen to a 128k rip. :scusthov:

I don't see what any of that has to do with what I said. you're just arguing your personal preference. that's fine, but it seems you want to extend that to everyone

Hades

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, not really. I don't have any movies that I would freak out over if I lost a drive. Now pictures are a completely different story. I have backed up family pictures to BR discs before. Stored them away.
That makes sense.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I know that. I'm asking about his specific method as he has no physical media to easily obtain another digital copy. I will say that it's annoying when people bring up discs getting scratched. I have discs from over 10 years ago that I have scratched to hell from playing that ripped years later with no problem at all. People say that as if discs are flimsily made or something.

I don't see how bringing up scratched discs is that different from appealing to the possibility of HDD failure

Theabbot

#DemBootymeats
Daps
Reppin
Duuuuuvaaaaal!!
I don't see what any of that has to do with what I said. you're just arguing your personal preference. that's fine, but it seems you want to extend that to everyone
Nah not at all. Just making a logical conclusion based on my own experience. I've spent about 10 grand on my home theater setup. So for me, playing anything less than perfect media would be ridiculous. A severe waste of the resource. If I DIDN'T have such a nice setup, I probably wouldn't give a shyt about the source. It's kinda like having a top of the line car. Why would you put regular gas in it if it was designed to use the high grade stuff?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Nah not at all. Just making a logical conclusion based on my own experience. I've spent about 10 grand on my home theater setup. So for me, playing anything less than perfect media would be ridiculous. A severe waste of the resource. If I DIDN'T have such a nice setup, I probably wouldn't give a shyt about the source. It's kinda like having a top of the line car. Why would you put regular gas in it if it was designed to use the high grade stuff?

if you wanted to watch a movie, that was only as a 700mb divx, would you refuse to watch it?

many blu-rays are just upscaled dvd's anyway

Hades

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't see how bringing up scratched discs is that different from appealing to the possibility of HDD failure
If my disc is scratched, I can still get my data. It's not a be all end all like a failed HDD that doesn't work anymore. The majority of the time, I can recover 100 percent of the data in a useable format with no problem. Not so much with a failed drive.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
many blu-rays are just upscaled dvd's anyway
no way breh :pachaha:

there are varied transfer quality though. some bluray transfers are done better than others. pixar is a company that does their bluray transfers flawlessly. probably because it's easier to do with digital films, but their bluray movies like Wall-E are gorgeous and you're only going to get that experience from a blu-ray disc or a non-compressed full blu-ray rip.