How long do you think Blu Ray's will last before we replace them with something else?

7oclock

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol@buyign discs

why would you do that if you can just stream everything?? Unless you're a collector - there's really no reason to own disc.

It's like someone using cash to purchase goods...why when you can just swipe a card!?!

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
You guys make it sound like the older tech will just cease to be manufactured, used, sold and bought. People still purchase DVDs, CDs and vinyl in the face of the easily obtained (legally or illegally) digital counterparts. The majority of people are not on the cutting edge of technology or interested in it until it penetrates the mainstream consciousness. DVD, the name, is a brand. Same thing with CDs/ vinyl. The name recognition is not to be overlooked.

The physical representation of the media is always better than the digital. Even though I rip them, I still buy CDs (sometimes vinyl), because I love the physical aspect of it. I even get perturbed when there isn't a physical accompaniment to an album release. However, I still use that iPod like there is not tomorrow. I also like having CDs/ DVDs/ physical media as a fail safe.

:flabbynsick:

Smooth3d

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Tulsa,Ok
lol@buyign discs

why would you do that if you can just stream everything?? Unless you're a collector - there's really no reason to own disc.

It's like someone using cash to purchase goods...why when you can just swipe a card!?!
You must don't have a home theater set up?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Same with music. The actual CD is much better quality than the download :gag:

I still can't be bothered to actually buy CDs though :heh:

that was my point before. consumers have shown they will settle for convenience over quality

cd's and dvd's were not only better quality than their cassette counterparts, they were also more convenient (no rewinding, degradation over time, etc), so they were successful

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

with low storage costs its easy to get rips with HD audio tracks and perfect video quality

but yeah in terms of streaming from netflix, amazon, etc, you get some dumbed down version

Hades

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is there anyone in here that has no (less than 15% of all their media) physical media? Do you have hella externals or server space to hold it?

Theabbot

#DemBootymeats
Daps
Reppin
Duuuuuvaaaaal!!
Is there anyone in here that has no (less than 15% of all their media) physical media? Do you have hella externals or server space to hold it?
Yes. I have about 20 TB's of hard drives, and NO physical media.
Edit: However, I do still use ps3 game bluray discs.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
If you have a HT, then you would only want the best possible sound/picture. So streaming is out of the question because it does not offer the true 1080p experience. The streamed content is compressed.

again, that's like saying if you own a CD player, you would never listen to a 128kbps mp3

I understand you have a personal preference regarding these things. but it's a complete non-sequitur to suggest that just because someone has a nice HT system, they would "only want the best possible sound/picture"

7oclock

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I have a HTPC and yes I stream. I guess if the extra pp is worth it to you then buy the Blue-Ray; the difference is moot to me but i'm not a videophile like some are.