How long do you think Blu Ray's will last before we replace them with something else?

BonafideDefacto

The Coli's Jetsetter & Globetrotter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
On my train rides to work. A lot of people spend the ride chatting with one another. As I've pointed out before, I work in silicoln Valley at a Dotcom. Most the people on the train are engineers in some way or IT people. Working for a range of companies from: Oracle, Google, Cisco, Apple, Sun, Yahoo, Intel & Nvidea(campus is next door to my building). I rarely engage in convos but as one of the rare black people working in the area, they are curious what I do. But moving forward, this reminds me talking to someone on Google Fiber's team(allegedly) on the train ride into work one day
Hit him with the

Me -How the fuk y'all launch Google Fiber in Provo, Austin and Kansas City and not at least in Santa Clara County where your headquarters is...
:ufdup:

Him -Well, collectively, there was a decision to explore 3 different regions that could serve as a paradigm for the entire country
:hmm:

Me- So...you going to answer my question
:wtb:

Him- It costs over 10 billion dollars to launch in an area with 20 million+ households and that's with ideal infrastructure. Before we collect a subscription. Then factor in the politics and environmentalist aspect... this is how we got our cities
:yes:

Me- :obama:

That said, he also stated that there is a good chance we never see fiber launched nationally​

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
We went from SD to HD, so Blu-Ray provided better picture. I guess if 4K becomes standard, they will have to come up with a new format.
they have 100GB Blu-Ray disc incoming. they can hold 4K movies but the players on the market now are the real question.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Physical media is dead.CD's say hi.
this isn't true when it comes to movies or games. CDs died off because they're under 800MB and for most people MP3s work as an alternative which gets full albums at under 200MB. movies are too large as are games to suffer this fate in the immediate future. ISPs have bandwidth caps and many people's internet isn't up to snuff. also digital movies are prohibitively expensive.

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
this isn't true when it comes to movies or games. CDs died off because they're under 800MB and for most people MP3s work as an alternative which gets full albums at under 200MB. movies are too large as are games to suffer this fate in the immediate future. ISPs have bandwidth caps and many people's internet isn't up to snuff. also digital movies are prohibitively expensive.

I can understand DSL having caps, but I don't see why cable has caps. I have been all digital for music and movie the past 5 years. I don't download most of time, I stream everything, I know it still uses the same amount of bandwidth whether you download or stream but most of the time its a one time thing. I think the cap is 75GB for dsl and unlimited for cable so far, but I wouldn't download a game unless I was gonna save some money.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I can understand DSL having caps, but I don't see why cable has caps. I have been all digital for music and movie the past 5 years. I don't download most of time, I stream everything, I know it still uses the same amount of bandwidth whether you download or stream but most of the time its a one time thing. I think the cap is 75GB for dsl and unlimited for cable so far, but I wouldn't download a game unless I was gonna save some money.
because if you go over the cap they can charge you more like cell phone companies do and cable is shared bandwidth so they probably don't want people hammering it. a very small portion of the user base use a large chunk of the total bandwidth with most ISPs.

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
because if you go over the cap they can charge you more like cell phone companies do and cable is shared bandwidth so they probably don't want people hammering it. a very small portion of the user base use a large chunk of the total bandwidth with most ISPs.

I can understand DSL...but why does cable have caps?

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
that's like saying no one would d/l music because a cd is 700mb. people will settle for lower quality if it's more convenient

blu rays are already seen as kind of an enthusiast niche thing, and will probably never be as mainstream as dvd. much of that is because people can get HD content on netflix or whatever
If u wanna watch 4k jts ginna be at leasssst 100gb.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
itll take a few seconds with Google Fiber when it becomes more available in the near future..
by the time Google Fiber is available nationwide,if that ever even happens, most people here will likely be grand parents.

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I've never paid full price for a Blu-Ray. There's a Swap-O-Rama here in the CHI and one guy gets all the newest shyt, and since I'm a repeat customer I get discounts.