How Has Chinatown Stayed Chinatown?

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
yea only props I ever hear NYC get from a black person is always a reflective memory of the "good ol days"(which is really when NYC was at its worst when it came to drugs and crime), literally have heard nothing Good from someone black about NYC post 9/11.

NYC was terrible pre 90's when it came to crime and just about everything outside Manhattan's "nice" areas

It's incredible how quickly and significantly it got better

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
NYC was terrible pre 90's when it came to crime and just about everything outside Manhattan's "nice" areas

It's incredible how quickly and significantly it got better
yea its a double edge sword, the only good times people can remember were some of the worst in American history, and being that everyone bounced who did have a little money the city was ripe for everything to become the playground for the 1%. Some of the prices of stuff I see in NYC just dont make sense , like you have all this housing but it aint that many wealthy people so what gives?

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Apollo
:mjcry:

This is why It disgusts me cats big up these Drug dealers. All these NYC Dope Dealers (well majority) were Snitches that built no infrastructure and spent all their bread tricking it off on material items, and gave out a few turkeys and school supplies. Imagine if majority were buying land, putting residents through college , opening legit businesses to clean their money and bring jobs to the communities, etc etc. I`m sure there are those who did but I`m also confident they were a minority.

Thats one area i gotta give credit to the chicago guys like Larry hoover, Chief malik , Flukey stokes and a bunch of others.

At least they tried many times to clean their money up, open up businesses, own Buildings, had fundraisers for the kids in the neighborhood, help rebuild the neighborhoods in the city (even though they were part of the reason the hoods were crumbling) and attempted to get into politics and community organizing (though it was a facade in many cases)

HopeKillCure

Banned
Daps
Reppin
On a queue
to be honest, unless you literally just came to America, I dont respect anyone that isn't an elderly person that is unlearned, who won't speak english around me. 9 times out of 10 when folks switch up the language its because they dont want you to know what they are talking about, when I see that I just won't do business with the person.

I used to think this too, but then I learned enough to ease drop on conversations, most times it's just laziness that makes people revert back to another language. It's just easier to explain shyte in thier native tongue.

People will talk about you sometimes but it is usually something favorible, mixed in with 1 or two things they are afriad to ask or tell you directly. In my experience only, It's rarely anything nasty or evil, and when it is, you can tell because it always comes in a sarcastic sounding tone or in a slow, methodical pitch of disdain. If you dont know the language, you can also tell just by the bullshyte look on thier face and over the top friendliness also.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
to be honest, unless you literally just came to America, I dont respect anyone that isn't an elderly person that is unlearned, who won't speak english around me. 9 times out of 10 when folks switch up the language its because they dont want you to know what they are talking about, when I see that I just won't do business with the person.
yeah thats rude

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami Gardens/North Miami
Gentrification already ended the soul of NYC for black folk due to lack of ownership. The Apollo Theatre is gone n more black immigrants are moving there. For Black America, NYC is the past
When you say The Apollo Theatre is gone, you mean closed down or white people took it over?
Bk is big not all of it is gentrified. Where my BK fam lives (East Flatbush/Flatlands/Canarsie area) is overwhelmingly black and many are homeowners. so not all of BK is white, 30 %of BK is black
Was Brooklyn ever majority black in the past?

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
Act like the mafia and group economics don't exist bruhs. I seen some of the parking garages in downtown l.a in china tiw got matresses inside the utility areas. Asian nikkas are enslaved down there
and those women that work at the rub n' tugs sleep in the walls of the buildings

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
and those women that work at the rub n' tugs sleep in the walls of the buildings
People never see the behind the scenes of businesses. Your bound to see shyt you never seen before just walking alleys in Chinatown after dark. Asians got no heart for women like that or for the pain that comes from progress. You gonna work this parking garage collecting money and. U gonna sleep on this dirty mattress in the utility room with a small black n white TV a hot plate and some canned food.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When I'm around English speaking people, I speak English. Sometimes when I'm around Haitians I'll speak Kreyol to them depending on their fluency and whatnot. Sometimes it's out of habit. Like I have two cousins, both from Haiti yet one I speak English to the most since he's been up here the longest and speaks English fine while the other one just started speaking English a few years ago but I just was used to speaking Kreyol with him. Most of the time it ain't nothing bad. I don't do that talk shyt about someone in another language shyt people do because it can backfire. My cousin used to stay doing that talking about girls(in a good way like "damn she bad look at her ass :noah:" in Kreyol). It would backfire because nowadays Americanized Haitians are sometimes indistinguishable from African Americans. Hell, if you saw me, you'd think I'm AA or Jamaican before Haitian. Most people don't even know I'm Haitian unless I tell em. :manny:

Daps
Ironically someone was just shot in the head in Chinatown yesterday. New York City has many faces. One of the reasons I love it.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
sukiyaki.jpg